Encore WACON released and surprise, it sucks

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

countryhick
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Encore WACON released and surprise, it sucks

Post by countryhick »

1 for 1 replacements for 6 & 700's :smt040
---------- ADS -----------

CanadaEH
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CanadaEH »

Feb 11 is announcement of routes.

Realitychex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Realitychex »

countryhick wrote:1 for 1 replacements for 6 & 700's :smt040
The initial order should free up about 7 NG's for more productive longer haul flying.

An analysis of all the various markets Encore could operate into within North America together with a very modest, low frequency O&D schedule with a system 325 mile asl, (well below the shortest 737 network ASL WJ ever operated at 336 miles in 1997), makes it pretty obvious to me that a 45 aircraft fleet is only the beginning.

It's all about execution.

8)

countryhick
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by countryhick »

Dude, there was a big grin face....

RussD
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RussD »

Realitychex wrote:
countryhick wrote:1 for 1 replacements for 6 & 700's :smt040
The initial order should free up about 7 NG's for more productive longer haul flying.

An analysis of all the various markets Encore could operate into within North America together with a very modest, low frequency O&D schedule with a system 325 mile asl, (well below the shortest 737 network ASL WJ ever operated at 336 miles in 1997), makes it pretty obvious to me that a 45 aircraft fleet is only the beginning.

It's all about execution.

8)
Not to digress, but your talk about Averages remind me of an old adage. " Set your hair on fire and then sit on a block of ice, on average your ok. Devil will be in the (execution)details :smt040

DasherDog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DasherDog »

Just wait till the C-Series shows up at Encore and there is zero growth at Westjet.....Good plan for 2 list!

Realitychex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Realitychex »

DasherDog wrote:Just wait till the C-Series shows up at Encore and there is zero growth at Westjet.....Good plan for 2 list!
I'd be willing to wager a significant chunk of change that should WJ eventually move to a fleet with 3 different aircraft types, the third fleet type will be greater than 225 seats...

As good as the C series looks on paper, BBD is going to have to convince a lot of people that it won't be an aircraft with a 10 year economic life, as was the case with the CRJ200.

You can't even give those dogs away today. The best use for the CRJ is to put a smart warhead on them and drop them on enemy combatant caves in Afganistan...

There is absolutely no point getting into the high capital cost commodity game unless you plan to have the lowest unit costs compared to all your direct competitors.

8)

pilotidentity
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pilotidentity »

More than 45 aircraft, wow that is exciting!

Just think of all those low paying time building jobs it will create.

Realitychex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Realitychex »

pilotidentity wrote:More than 45 aircraft, wow that is exciting!

That's pretty much what they said to all the folks who applied to a certain Calgary startup in the autumn of 1995. Most of them took a pay cut but recognized it was a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

If you don't like it, feel free to not apply.

BTW, I've never met anyone, anywhere who felt they were paid too much. It always seems to be the other way around.

8)

Last edited by Realitychex on Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

pilotidentity wrote:More than 45 aircraft, wow that is exciting!

:lol:

Noooo, you see... that will just be a flow through low paying job. No one is expected too be sticking around too long at Encore! Just long enough to get the ball rolling there and expand in every possible corner of Canada/US that WJ can't operate 737s :roll:

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

Realitychex wrote:If you don't like it, feel free to not apply.

BTW, I've never met anyone, anywhere who felt they were paid too much.
Maybe you are right, but I've also witnessed for too long, too many of my colleagues getting not much at all for what the job deserves!

Singlebogie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Singlebogie »

I totally understand your cynicism (big word of the day :D ) but WestJet has made a believer out of me. They have almost always under-promised and over-delivered. When problems are identified they are almost always dealt with, and in very creative ways. The WAWCON for Encore is viewed as a problem by most of us, and it will be dealt with. The creativity may surprise us all.

WJ200
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by WJ200 »

Singlebogie wrote:I totally understand your cynicism (big word of the day :D ) but WestJet has made a believer out of me. They have almost always under-promised and over-delivered. When problems are identified they are almost always dealt with, and in very creative ways. The WAWCON for Encore is viewed as a problem by most of us, and it will be dealt with. The creativity may surprise us all.
Great post.....outsiders will never fully understand.....sadly....sometimes those on the inside don't fully appreciate it either.

dream_big
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dream_big »

They have almost always under-promised and over-delivered.
I would hope there is change coming because in this case the opposite is true.

From my "outsider" perspective as you claim, it would seem Encore is under-delivering with their package and over-promising with flow through and what the package could become.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

dream_big wrote:

From my "outsider" perspective as you claim, it would seem Encore is under-delivering with their package and over-promising with flow through and what the package could become.
Why don't we just wait and see about that point as the first plane hasn't arrived yet.
Also without spilling the beans the WJPA is working on something (2 list wise) that is frankly awesome
And will put to bed the flow through issue.

stickontheice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by stickontheice »

Awesome post Kag. Encore's initial WACON was a starting point. The WJPA has an absolute ton on their plate right now with Encore and the new agreement being the two issues leading the charge. People are assuming they aren't going to do their usual amazing job getting through it. I can understand the anxiety but let's see what they come up with and go from there.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

KAG wrote:
dream_big wrote:

Why don't we just wait and see about that point as the first plane hasn't arrived yet.
Also without spilling the beans the WJPA is working on something (2 list wise) that is frankly awesome
And will put to bed the flow through issue.
I am curious why the issue of flow-through,flow-back and pilot lists was not addressed when the WJPA voted to allow the creation of Encore. Seems to me the horses are out of the barn now.

Singlebogie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Singlebogie »

Maybe, but a'int ya heard? WestJetters is the best at putin' them runaways back in the corral! Stay tuned brothers! Yee-haa!

dream_big
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dream_big »

Stayed tuned?? Sounds awfully familiar to what you all said before the package was released. I can't wait to sit around around for 5 years and see what it turns into. That's Great that it might turn into a great package then but why not start it there in first place and not cause further downward pressure on industry. That's great that all current westjetter and us "outsiders" don't see the real picture. Maybe it's you that doesn't see the picture because its not YOU that it will have a negative effect on. Don't sit here and tell me q400 Fo making 32,000 won't cause further pressure to reduce costs

Squid
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Squid »

uggg, another guy that cant do math.

Return to “WestJet”