Likelyhood of the 1:50 FA Ratio being changed

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

WJWinglett
Rank 0
Rank 0

Likelyhood of the 1:50 FA Ratio being changed

Post by WJWinglett »

Does anyone want to speculate if this is going to go through or not in Canada???
---------- ADS -----------

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Likelyhood of the 1:50 FA Ratio being changed

Post by True North »

Assuming you mean the 1:40 rule changing to 1:50 then yes, I believe it is inevitable. There is already a precedent for it and all the airlines want it. It's just politics.

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

I suspect it'll be a spec ops that is approved on individual circumstances.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Ohh, Maaannnn. Does this mean it'll take even longer to get my pretzels and lukewarm pop on the next flight? :wink:

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

I heard the phrase "crew to load" being used regarding this, when I asked what exactly that meant, it was as obvious as it sounds. If booked to 90, x amount of time from date of flight, only crew with 2 FAs, meaning only 10 seats available for use/booking. If this is true, it could be very bad for commuters, because I don't imagine when crewing to load you would include stand-bys.
I also heard this could mean layoffs for FAs, welcome to re-apply at encore.
Any thoughts/comments from the WJetrs?

Lateralus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lateralus »

mbav8r wrote:I heard the phrase "crew to load" being used regarding this, when I asked what exactly that meant, it was as obvious as it sounds. If booked to 90, x amount of time from date of flight, only crew with 2 FAs, meaning only 10 seats available for use/booking. If this is true, it could be very bad for commuters, because I don't imagine when crewing to load you would include stand-bys.
I also heard this could mean layoffs for FAs, welcome to re-apply at encore.
Any thoughts/comments from the WJetrs?
Have not heard a word about layoffs.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

mbav8r,

I wouldn't be concerned about that at all. WJ already books some flights to 119 and puts 3 FA's on the -700 potentially leaving commuters behind. However, if an FA is commuting, not only do they let her operate the flight to get to work, but pay the FA to work allowing the rest of the plane to be filled with commuters. I don't know any other company who is willing to incur labour costs to get commuters to work.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Bede wrote:mbav8r,

I wouldn't be concerned about that at all. WJ already books some flights to 119 and puts 3 FA's on the -700 potentially leaving commuters behind. However, if an FA is commuting, not only do they let her operate the flight to get to work, but pay the FA to work allowing the rest of the plane to be filled with commuters. I don't know any other company who is willing to incur labour costs to get commuters to work.

Bede, absolutely awesome information, would you mind forwarding that to president@aircanada.ca?

As a side note to the original post, US airlines have been at 50:1 for a while now. Didn't seem to slow down the evacuation on the Hudson River that much, despite only using half the doors (and having one wheelchair passenger!) Additionally, the DHC-8-300 and CRJ-200 operate at 50:1 in Canada, so it's not completely without precedent.

CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by CD »

Return to “WestJet”