WPPA.ca

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: WPPA.ca

Post by truedude »

flyer 1492 wrote:We did have a national union it was called CALPA, until the pilots at Air Canada didn't like the Picher award and left.

Flyer 1492
Oh for the love of god, aren't you guys all dead yet??? We need to get past this already!
---------- ADS -----------

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

I was not involved in that fight past or present.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

flyer 1492 wrote:I was not involved in that fight past or present.
Then perhaps its best to not dig up the past...

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

I was just answering yycflyguy's question.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

flyer 1492 wrote:I was just answering yycflyguy's question.
Perhaps a case of history repeating itself. Let me ask an open question. Could the mistakes and dissolution of CALPA be corrected for a future national union?

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

yycflyguy wrote:
Perhaps a case of history repeating itself. Let me ask an open question. Could the mistakes and dissolution of CALPA be corrected for a future national union?
One could wish

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by CD »

Tentative pilot agreement not ratified

Current agreement remains in place as WestJet and the WJPA work toward a new agreement

CALGARY, Nov. 29, 2013 /CNW/ - WestJet announced today that its pilots have voted against a tentative agreement by a margin of 58.7 per cent. Turnout was very strong, with 96 per cent of pilots voting.

The current agreement remains in effect until a new agreement is reached. Pilots at WestJet are represented by the WestJet Pilots Association (WJPA), a non-union employee association.

"We are disappointed with the results of the vote," said Gregg Saretsky, WestJet President and CEO. "Our leadership team and the WJPA will regroup in the coming weeks, focusing on understanding the specific concerns of the pilot group and, just as we've always done, work collaboratively to bring forward a new agreement."

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

teacher wrote:
yycflyguy wrote:
One could wish
I want to do more than wish.

It is the profession that is under attack. WAWCON will continue to deteriorate until pilots put aside past differences and actually work together for the professional betterment. As long as you have one group of skilled aviators working harder for less money than another group, management will use that leverage to minimize costs.

Our collective immediate future:
1.Federal government continually allowing seasonal foreign nationals to operate Canadian registered aircraft for multiple Canadian companies under the guise of inadequate local talent.
2. The probable re-allocation of Tier II flying from Jazz to the lowest bidder.
3. Encore pay.
4. Rouge pay.
5. ACPA defecating the bed with the past "negotiations" and inevitably in 2016
6. Past government intervention in negotiations for both AC & Jazz pilots sets the precedent for future meddling.

Not saying that a national union would solve all the problems. I do know that the current structure of groups negotiating against each other has only resulted in one thing. Professional degradation.

As an outsider, the result of Westjet negotiating a pilot contract will have a direct impact on my "opportunities" to negotiate in 3 years. So I would like to see across the board raises on top of COLA because their contact for 1100+ pilots will affect the contract for 3100+ pilots.

EA757
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by EA757 »

In absolute fairness to the 41 percent....

They have both the contract and the
association they deserve...

:roll:

Optimus Prime
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Optimus Prime »

EA757 wrote:In absolute fairness to the 41 percent....

They have both the contract and the
association they deserve...

:roll:
Interesting, considering I highly doubt you have any idea what the contract contained. Let alone anything going on in Canadian professional aviation for the past two decades at least.

Feel free to give an informed opinion. But it's pretty lame to put down almost 500 intelligent, passionate people when your source of information is anonymous avatars on a public forum.

EA757
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by EA757 »

Optimus Prime,

"...Interesting, considering I highly doubt you have any idea what the contract contained..."
The terms and conditions of the contract are totally irrelevant from where I stand, as I can assure
you I am not with Westjet in any capacity.

But, here is what I do know... Westjet management and the Westjet Pilots association made an effort to negotiate a work related contract. In that contract there are many many details. Those details were, I believe, read and understood by all of the interested parties. The pilots were then called upon to vote yes or no to that contract... 41 per cent of the pilots said that they thought that the contract was fair or at least agreeable.

Consequently, those that voted for the contract are happy, and are probably pleased with the work that the pilots association has done for them...
They have both the contract they deserve and the association they deserve...
That is a good thing.

"...Feel free to give an informed opinion..."
See above.

"...But it's pretty lame to put down almost 500 intelligent, passionate people when your source of information is anonymous avatars on a public forum..."
No, that paragraph is yours and of you. I have always thought of the Westjet people
as a wonderful group of people and nothing less.

By the way, I don't have an avatar. :lol: Stupid facts always get in the way don't they?

BUT, I love your avatar on this public forum...

Good luck to you.

Galaxy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Galaxy »

Marinth
Rank 3
Rank 3