Why?

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Rumors
Rank 1
Rank 1

Why?

Post by Rumors »

---------- ADS -----------

Batman
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Why?

Post by Batman »

1500 hrs total time for a Dash skip. I guess this is all we can get with the crap wage. This is a hell of a lot more demanding then our 737 jobs. Therefore we're basically saying that all pilots aren't worth shit regardless of their experience. Very sad. I know there will be replies to this post stating that this is a minimum requirement and there will never be a captain hired with this experience. Yeah right, theres a reason why its there. I think we're now officially all screwed.

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

I hope 1500 is a misprint!

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

So 68.00 times 80 hours times 12 works out to be 65,280.00 per year, it's a little bit better than 57,120. Good luck living (with a family) on that in YYC or YYZ. Encore must be having a lot of trouble finding qualified applicants.

Flyer

razorblade
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by razorblade »

Surely no one with less than 3000-4000 will get hired as DEC!

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

Those are just the same default requirements as for FO. No one will get DEC with those times. Just as AC has had only an ATPL listed as all you need to send a resume for years, doesn't mean they'll look at you.

dignifly
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dignifly »

Why don't they just match porter's pay scale if they want some decent experienced people? That pay scale isn't the greatest but closer to what is fair. If porter can afford it then I think a company with real jets and 1.4 bil in cash can at least do the same...

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

They obviously think that they know what they're doing. 1.4 billion in cash suggests that they are correct.

scopiton
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by scopiton »

dignifly wrote:Why don't they just match porter's pay scale if they want some decent experienced people? That pay scale isn't the greatest but closer to what is fair. If porter can afford it then I think a company with real jets and 1.4 bil in cash can at least do the same...
Thing is, you don't wanna spend this cash.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

I hope that every Navajo pilot in Canada applies........and nobody else.

Time to give WJ/Encore a wake up call about supply and demand. If you want to pay peanuts, then you will attract the experience level you deserve. If pilots can show some restraint and self discipline and NOT APPLY, the offer will have to improve. Does anybody believe that WJ will just let Q400 deliveries sit on the ramp idle? Show a little patience and teach WJ/Encore a lesson about respect being a two way street.

HiLo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by HiLo »

rudder wrote: If pilots can show some restraint and self discipline and NOT APPLY, the offer will have to improve.
I guess Blondie had it right....dreamin' is free.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

HiLo wrote:
rudder wrote: If pilots can show some restraint and self discipline and NOT APPLY, the offer will have to improve.
I guess Blondie had it right....dreamin' is free.
Actually, you would be surprised.

So far the target audience for the Q400 DEC position (Jazz, Porter, SKY) seem to be avoiding Encore. Expect that trend to continue unless and until the Encore offer is significantly improved.

A previous poster had it right: Porter pay scale at a minimum and clarity about access to the WJ pilot seniority list.

This could have also been partially resolved by permitting WJ FO's to bid Q400 Capt (at a respectable pay rate). But that too is water under the bridge.

Congrats WJ, you managed to screw this up just as bad as the red team has. And fixing it after the fact will likely cost more than getting it right from the get go. You would have thought that someone who came from the AS/QX system would have known better. Guess not.

Let's see if there is a learning curve here.

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

Last time I checked Air Canada had the same requirements. Just sayin..

I had a phone interview with Encore a few months back where I politely turned them down once they outlined the conditions. I made it clear why too. Move to Calgary at my own expense and work twice as much for less than half my current pay. That 2 year wait for mainline seniority didn't jive with me either. I give them credit though, HR lady was real nice and even put me in touch with other WJ pilots who tried to sell me on working there (and they did a pretty good job). It was tough to turn it down but I just couldn't escape the hard math.

Since then I've known a few FO's to head over there. Don't know how they stomach the salary but they all lived out west already. Most of them had around 3k TT with very little command. It will be interesting to see what happens in a year or so when all the senior captains start moving over to mainline. Will Encore have enough experience in it's roster to maintain it's expansion? Will they start accepting more DEC? Will wages go up or will they lower the requirements?

Best of luck to the guys and girls working there, just ain't for me right now.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Mr. North wrote:Last time I checked Air Canada had the same requirements. Just sayin..
That is true, only that the above job posting is for Captain's. There's a separate job posting for F/O's. It's probably a mistake. I can't see how they would ask for 1500 hours for a Q400 skipper.

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi Guys,
The reason for the direct entry posting is because the upgrades are now faster than planned. Basically upgrade assessments are taking place in initial training and many guys and gals simply aren’t ready.

As part of the risk assessment that was done - an internal matrix is now in place before you can upgrade:

Total Time / DHC-8-400 or similar Transport Category Aircraft *
4500 / 500
4000 / 500
3500 / 750
3000 / 1000
2500 / 1250
2000 / 1500

To answer the questions, the way I understand it - basically you need 4500 hrs and 500 pic hrs and 500 hrs on (similar 705 time -saab/dhc8 1/3/4/ATR42 etc...) FOR THE DIRECT ENTRY
As general interest and to answer some; there is more clarity coming on the flow/date of hire ;) and some other nice improvements. Standby for that - details will be out very soon! I’ve been away the last few days so I’ll pass along the latest when I get the info.

Take care,
Dave

Last edited by DaveP on Fri May 23, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JoeyBarton »

Wouldn't it be 4500 / 500 SIC hours, not necessary PIC?

Looking at the bottom end of the matrix, not sure how a 2000TT could have 1500h PIC on a 705 machine...Or I probably got it all wrong :rolleyes:

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi,
You are correct. Those numbers on the chart reflect SIC and are for internal pilots that are now here on property for Westjet Encore.
Cheers

Last edited by DaveP on Fri May 23, 2014 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
7thirtyseven
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7thirtyseven »

DaveP, is it true the WJPA finally has pulled its head out of its ass? whats going on over there? Is someone ACTUALLY listening?

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi,
The new guard took over a few weeks ago. Improving the global package was a priority and I believe all worked hard on these initiatives like one list and salary review. An update will be out soon.
Cheers

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

DaveP wrote: As general interest and to answer some; there is more clarity coming on the flow/date of hire ;) and some other nice improvements. Standby for that - details will be out very soon!
DaveP,

Please tell everybody that WJ/Encore have figured out that to attract experienced pilots/DEC candidates it will be necessary to offer compensation commensurate with experience. Translated: that means more money!!

Offer real money. Freeze the DEC's on the Q400 for 2-3 years but give them a number on the WJ master seniority list and give them full tenure credit on the WJ pay grid. You would also be doing yourself a favour to let your 737 FO's bid to the Q400 Capt positions because at the end of the day you will never get enough DEC current Q400 Capt to fill the delivery schedule and you already have a problem with upgradability of existing Q400 FO's. Why would you deny your WJ 737 FO's the chance for an early left seat? Is it because you just don't want to pay a reasonable rate of pay on the Q400?

Flow is great but working for cheap for a WJ seniority number is just pay-for-training dressed up as a different animal. I thought that WJ was classier than that.

And all of this is transpiring while there is a union movement ongoing. Normally you only get one chance to get it right. This is a second chance or perhaps a union can figure it out for you?

Return to “WestJet”