WestJet Mainline/Encore Hiring pool

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

NickyNick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: WestJet Mainline/Encore Hiring pool

Post by NickyNick »

$20 WTI oil predicted by Goldman Sachs today. With such low fuel prices now you'd think a company like Westjet could keep their employees on the payroll.
---------- ADS -----------

aerodude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aerodude »

NickyNick wrote:$20 WTI oil predicted by Goldman Sachs today. With such low fuel prices now you'd think a company like Westjet could keep their employees on the payroll.
The rule of publicly traded companies no matter how much kool aid is consumed:

Keeping constant profitability = making more profit than last years quarter = keep shareholders happy = Keeping high share prices

If this pro active LOA offering is true, they have my respect, compare to other airlines that would just lay off.

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

+1

Last year when the oil prices first dropped I listened in on one of their quarterly conference calls. Can't remember who said it but one of the executives made it clear that the extra savings in fuel costs would not be passed along to the customer, preferring instead to build up their cash reserves.

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

From what I understand, it's a relatively short time period where we're going to see a reduction in block hours, mainly Sept-Nov before the block hours actually increase with the winter schedule in full swing.

intake
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by intake »

Ummm, over staffed....why are they interviewing for main line this month, at least 20 interview time slots to choose from in September.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

I was going to say... a buddy is in the Sept 7th mainline 737 course, and another buddy just got called for Oct 5th Encore course. Something isn't adding up.

Is it true WJ is going after oil sands flying?

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

A couple of 73Gs go back and they continue to gain 73H's. Every airplane gets a reduction in seat capacity of 6 seats for the "premium economy". I think a brief LOA of only 10-20 pilots is a drop in the bucket and nothing more than a convenient opportunity for pilots to take some time off and pursue other things in life.

As for the oil patch I think Canadian North and NCA will take care of that. Enerjet is a different story.

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

indieadventurer wrote:From what I understand, it's a relatively short time period where we're going to see a reduction in block hours, mainly Sept-Nov before the block hours actually increase with the winter schedule in full swing.
Yes, things typically slow in the fall/winter. There is a lot of talk on the internal forums and in the flight decks about this being a longer and deeper than average slowdown. I won't claim to have been here long enough to really know what normal is though.
NickyNick wrote:$20 WTI oil predicted by Goldman Sachs today. With such low fuel prices now you'd think a company like Westjet could keep their employees on the payroll.
This was Goldman's bottom forecast if nothing changed. They gave a range that was from $20-40 IIRC. Dependent on a number of factors affecting supply. I don't think any non-government owned airline would pay crews to fly empty airplanes around the sky even if fuel was free.
intake wrote:Ummm, over staffed....why are they interviewing for main line this month, at least 20 interview time slots to choose from in September.
Every airline under the sun has hired right up until they collapsed into bankruptcy. Seems like the norm for our industry to fiddle while Rome burns. Rome isn't burning yet.
AirMail wrote:Since the WestJet and Encore pilot list is one list, why not bump someone junior off the Q?
Yes, the WJPA has things set up to protect the jet jobs at the expense of the regional guys and this is a very real possibility if things got really bad. Q400's keep coming so the likelihood of anyone actually being bumped off the bottom is slim since we're getting 8 airplanes a year this year and next year. I'd say that this likely won't happen this time around due to deliveries. Could happen in a future downturn once hiring stabilizes at both companies.
loopa wrote:I was going to say... a buddy is in the Sept 7th mainline 737 course, and another buddy just got called for Oct 5th Encore course. Something isn't adding up.

Is it true WJ is going after oil sands flying?
I don't know about the oilsands flying. Not something that I've heard. I believe a few people that were close to flowing up or had already passed up their mainline slots had been told that at least one mainline ground school (October??) has been cancelled. Likely for the September and October courses, job offers had already gone out, training already scheduled etc. A new hire/newly upgraded Captain is also cheaper than a 10 year Captain that wouldn't have to be paid while he is on LOA.

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

What about the 767s BE20? Don't narrow your scope to just the narrow-bodies and dash8s. There is a much bigger picture here and a few LOAs for one month of the year out of 1500 pilots is like I said, a drop in the bucket. Having the option of a LOA without debate is fantastic for someone looking for a break. Typically higher paid FOs & Capt will take it too. Works for everybody.

As for the economy effecting WestJet it might cause some short term pain but that is what the 767 is for. The perfect aircraft to feast on AC and Transats lunch, and with the network to support it. A never ending supply of disgruntled pax who are sick of Rouge and cramped Transat 310s and 737s.

Peace.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Thanks be20

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

brooks wrote:What about the 767s BE20? Don't narrow your scope to just the narrow-bodies and dash8s. There is a much bigger picture here and a few LOAs for one month of the year out of 1500 pilots is like I said, a drop in the bucket. Having the option of a LOA without debate is fantastic for someone looking for a break. Typically higher paid FOs & Capt will take it too. Works for everybody.

As for the economy effecting WestJet it might cause some short term pain but that is what the 767 is for. The perfect aircraft to feast on AC and Transats lunch, and with the network to support it. A never ending supply of disgruntled pax who are sick of Rouge and cramped Transat 310s and 737s.

Peace.
That's a pretty glib outlook. I'd say WestJet has "evolved" to the point where they produce just as many disgruntled pax as AC. (Not to mention employees, just wait until the next round of union drives.)

It used to be Air Canada that was casually arrogant about dismissing competitors, it appears the shoe is on the other foot now.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Mooseontheloose
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mooseontheloose »

So is Encore still planning to run ground schools past October? Are they still interviewing? How many people are presently pooled?

KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

Mooseontheloose wrote:So is Encore still planning to run ground schools past October? Are they still interviewing? How many people are presently pooled?
Yes, yes and 50-60 is what I last heard. I believe there are two November classes. Probably break for Xmas then in January back to more classes.

Mooseontheloose
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mooseontheloose »

Thanks KK7!

manyratings
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by manyratings »

Does anyone have a definitive answer as to do you have 1 year in the pool from your Interview date, if you are successful. Or do you have one year in the pool from the time you were informed you were successful and placed in the pool? For me i was informed i was placed in the pool aprox 6 weeks later.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Wj encore picking up sunwest flying ?

I believe it's from the time you interviewed.

watermeth
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by watermeth »

hello all
I'll be reapplying to mainline 1 year after a pfo.
if someone can feed me in with some feedback concerning this specific procedure it would be really cool.
pm me if you're more comfortable doing so.
thanks !

KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

manyratings wrote:Does anyone have a definitive answer as to do you have 1 year in the pool from your Interview date, if you are successful. Or do you have one year in the pool from the time you were informed you were successful and placed in the pool? For me i was informed i was placed in the pool aprox 6 weeks later.
If you're waiting that long, just give Christie a call.

JTrain
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JTrain »

Encore is running classes of 10 per month, and two in November to offset none in December.

Does anyone know if the October 19th B737 class is still happening?

manyratings
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by manyratings »

watermeth wrote:hello all
I'll be reapplying to mainline 1 year after a pfo.
if someone can feed me in with some feedback concerning this specific procedure it would be really cool.
pm me if you're more comfortable doing so.
thanks !

Let me know how that works out for you Watermeth or PM me. I found out i was in the pool and expired to my shock with no notice. KK7 i did get a hold of HR and they answered my question for me. You have one year from your interview date. NOT when you are told you were successful in your interview and placed in the pool weeks later. So in my mind i got shorted 6 weeks in my year cause i was really hoping for the Oct ground school. Plus you start out right from the begining again as a new candidate. I guess it was my fault for not understanding the whole 1 year pool thing. Needless to say myself and certainly my 7 internal references are not to happy with the process right now. In any event i will keep trying as well, and not let the bumps in the road bother me.

Return to “WestJet”