WestJet Mainline/Encore Hiring pool

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: WestJet Mainline/Encore Hiring pool

Post by BE20 Driver »

Encore, and WestJet mainline, are moving some airframes from the west to the east where load factors are stronger. There was a recent internal email outlining why and what the future looks like for those already on property. In a nutshell, growth is forecast to be in the east. Future hiring is forecast to be in the east. People flowing up are primarily coming from the west. If someone were to hold out for a YYC Captain spot things are anticipated to level out near the end of the year and upgrades and base transfers could become available near the end of 2016.

All of this is semi-current info. Things could change if the western economy tanks completely etc. I have no idea if there are plans to move more aircraft from YYC to YYZ. That would change the balance of pilots and drag out the wait.
---------- ADS -----------

Vanguard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Vanguard »

Last edited by Vanguard on Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
axm18
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by axm18 »

anyone going to the westjet group interview in YYZ march 15/16?

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

axm18 wrote:anyone going to the westjet group interview in YYZ march 15/16?
What takes place at a group interview? Have they been doing this for a while, or is this new?

duramaxguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by duramaxguy »

Pilots have also been doing a group portion of their interview since the fall I believe.

dtpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dtpilot »

Anybody know if there is a way to apply to mainline when only an encore online portal is open?

KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

dtpilot wrote:Anybody know if there is a way to apply to mainline when only an encore online portal is open?
They aren't currently accepting resumes for WestJet on the 737. Last report was they had sufficient folks in the pool to get them through to the end of 2016 for the few that are hired off the street.

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twinpratts »

I heard the last Ground school on the 737 had 100% flow through from Encore. The new norm, from here on in?

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

Not quite the new norm. I believe they ramped up the last two courses to 100% in order to bump up the years average to 75%. I think the intention is to run at 75% flow for the rest of 2016. So only 2 out of 8 will be off the street. They also mentioned they have enough guys in the pool to last the rest of the year so the application window for mainline will remain closed for now. If you're already in the pool for mainline, don't sweat it, just be patient...your time will come. Good luck to all!

mataxa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mataxa »

Hey all, does anyone know how many (if any) off the street hires will be in the August Boeing ground schools? Are they still averaging 2 out of 8 or so or will they be 100% flow? Thanks.

Maxpwr
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Maxpwr »

Last edited by Maxpwr on Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

How long after your application at Encore before you receive an offer for an interview if they are interested in you? I applied about 6 weeks ago and exceed their requirements. Just wondering if I should forget it and pursue other options.

arctic_slim
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by arctic_slim »

it took me about 2 weeks before I got an e-mail for an interview. Check your spam folder carefully too just in case the e-mail got flagged.

yycinformer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by yycinformer »

Might it be safe to say that the pool is getting rather shallow since the posting of the Flightpath Program? Anyone applied/got any feedback on it as yet?

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi
The resumes are steady with WJE - the purpose of the flight path program is to interview and place you in a pool until you get your atpl. We are simply trying to get ahead of the curve with all the 2017 hiring that is coming.
Typically I've been pulling resumes with over 1000hrs and flying in some kind of twin turbine from that posting. We haven't called anyone for interviews yet (from that posting) but it should be soon.

Cheers

pigboat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pigboat »

To DaveP,

I fly at AC, and for a long long time. Just a word about the hiring program. Keep Flt Ops in charge of the hiring and HR as far away as possible. Non pilots are a fiasco when deciding whom to hire as pilots. We use to get about 1 dud out of every 400 hired when pilots did the hiring. With HR having a big, big say....the results are far worse than they use to be.

Great to see someone in your Management come out and let the young pilots know what is actually going on with future hiring. The one certainty at AC is that every Monday morning the hiring rules will change. Since the mid 90's the shifts in how to get to AC changes often and in the blink of an eye.

Regards

OPS
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by OPS »

pigboat, very valid and I agree with you! However WS just as AC hands are tied to HR's hiring decisions. There's also the case of supply and demand. In lean times any airline has their pick of candidates. Now the ball being in the pilots court, and such great need on a grand scale, you will note of course a higher volume of "duds". The influence of hiring of pilots will need to be negotiated with the unions/associations and companies. A message to your ACPA rep of you displeasure and thoughts will hopefully get the ball rolling. Again, the ball is in the pilots courts.

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

Thanks for the response. Does the Encore F/O interview process include a simulator test or only written tests and interview?

yycinformer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by yycinformer »

DaveP wrote:Hi
The resumes are steady with WJE - the purpose of the flight path program is to interview and place you in a pool until you get your atpl. We are simply trying to get ahead of the curve with all the 2017 hiring that is coming.
Typically I've been pulling resumes with over 1000hrs and flying in some kind of twin turbine from that posting. We haven't called anyone for interviews yet (from that posting) but it should be soon.

Cheers
Is there anyway to update an application once submitted for the sake of TT updates etc?

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Jimmy2 wrote:Thanks for the response. Does the Encore F/O interview process include a simulator test or only written tests and interview?

No SIM. Iirc, Porter and Sky also both don't have SIMS.

Considering many 704s out there have them for flying a 1900, I'm amazed it's not more commonplace in 705.

Return to “WestJet”