Lost income

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Lost income

Post by leftoftrack »

How much money will the average Westjet pilot loose with the new duty and flight limits comming into effect Capped at 900 hrs where many use to do 1150-1050. How many more pilots are you going to need to cover what you currently run?
---------- ADS -----------

bythenumbers
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Lost income

Post by bythenumbers »

The proposed 365 days Flight Hour limitation is 1000 not 900. Unless I'm missing something...

FL020
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL020 »

And who gives a shit? It's proposed to enhance safety in the Canadian Aviation World. Do You like 5 leg red eyes?

berta'
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by berta' »

Who would want to fly over 1000 hrs anyway? What a nightmare...

slob driver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by slob driver »

Anecdotally I seem to remember that there was only 12 guys that did over 1000 hours. Those numbers are from a couple of years ago. So in response, not that many pilots will be affected by the 1000 hour cap.

cjet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cjet »

We are guaranteed 77.5 hours per month or 930 hours a year. Once you subtrack our vacation most pilots will fly around 820hrs per year. Still lots of time for overtime. Very few WJ pilots will be affected by this.

CJET

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

I do not know about WJ or other companies but at Transat we are paid credit hours which includes a certain amont of Dead Head (positioning) time. DH time does not count towards Flight time and will not be included in the 1000 hours limitation.

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

No pilots in any airline, flying any size airplanes/helicopters, under any situation should be flying over 1000hrs a year. I've done it in the past and no matter how much you argue, you will never convince me that it's safe. These improvements will bring us closer to being in line with the rest of the world and are long overdue.

805ITT
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 805ITT »

Any pilot that has a compensation system based on productions such as credits or mileage will be affected by the propsed new regulation. Most schedules have a duty time to flight time ratio. As an example a crew member works 160 duty hours a month and flies 80 credits = a 2:1 duty time ratio. Currently an operator may space the flights over a 12-13 hour duty day, but under the new proposed regulation that may need to be reduced to 10-11 hours per day.

To summarize the point, what used to take 13 days to fulfill the 80 credits is now going to take 15 days to get to 80 credits.

If your company has a pay for production system, you are going to be working more shorter days and will have less full days off from work.

ea306
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ea306 »

805ITT wrote:Any pilot that has a compensation system based on productions such as credits or mileage will be affected by the propsed new regulation. Most schedules have a duty time to flight time ratio. As an example a crew member works 160 duty hours a month and flies 80 credits = a 2:1 duty time ratio. Currently an operator may space the flights over a 12-13 hour duty day, but under the new proposed regulation that may need to be reduced to 10-11 hours per day.

To summarize the point, what used to take 13 days to fulfill the 80 credits is now going to take 15 days to get to 80 credits.

If your company has a pay for production system, you are going to be working more shorter days and will have less full days off from work.
Which will also equate to less days available for the opportunity for as much over time pay.... With the extra working days... I would be even less interested in the OT.

Smitty
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Smitty »

Last I heard, 40% of the pilots don't pick up any OT. Of the remainder, not a lot do more than a few days at a time which leaves a very small percentage going for the big bucks. Those guys may be lamenting the arrival of the new FDTRs, but most won't be affected.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

Well I must only know the hard workers at westjet cause every pilot I know picks up at least 3 or 4 days. I don't know any captains thought so might be that they don't pick up any once their on that schedule

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twinpratts »

Really? It was in a Memo from DP.

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...

Return to “WestJet”