Nunavut & NWT not doing enough for climate change

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Over the Horn
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Over the Horn »

Here's an idea if you want to save the environment, Quit posting useless crap on the internet ever think of the power computers use. So if I see anymore posts by so called environmentalists I'll know your just nerds trolling because a real environmentalist wouldn't be wasting electricity in such a useless manner. :mrgreen:
---------- ADS -----------

costermonger
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by costermonger »

See what I mean? Anybody who doesn't say "global warming is a commie farce" is labeled an environmentalist.

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

"ahhhhh you should be down under / pushin' up wheat for the hungry"

-Pie Dubois

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

" So, my question still remains the same. What harm can come out of the steps we can take now to curb pollution? "

Coasterm....

As long as the steps we take are well thought out and doable, such as driving more efficient cars for example only good can come of it.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

costermonger wrote:For those who say global warming might not exist, I have a question.

What if it does? What harm comes from taking preventative? Justify your stance by doing something other than bashing environmentalists. Please, educate us all why it's a bad idea to reduce the amount of crap we inject into our environment.
The harm comes from a needless economic impact. Your sick of people bashing enviromentalists. Well I'm sick of people attacking other peoples livelyhoods based completly on theory. Funny how a liberal government signs on to an enviromental treaty which tries to put the full burden of compliance in the West. Nice how the feds do nothing to offer assistance to the west to help reduce emmisions. The rest of the country wants our oil money but won't contribute funds to curb greenhouse gas emmisions in the very provinces they want to rob.

You know what I think the eastern fisharies should be closed forever because it's unnessasary to catch fish. and it's harmfull to the enviroment and therefore serves no purpose whatsoever. Also all the factories in Ontario and Quebec should be shut down because they contribute to our global polution problem. Ya right! :roll:

//=S=//

A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

EI-EI-IDAHO

K WTF. yes it's true that a 13 watt flourescent or LED's are the way to go, for lighting. up north that is secondary to heat. but the truth remains that 400 watts is f-all for $800+ the Gouge and Screw Tax. check out otherpower.com buddy made a 3800kw turbine for around 2 grand. the expensive stuff is used for tying into a on grid home ie controllers wave parallelling etc....

costermonger
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by costermonger »

Dust Devil wrote:The harm comes from a needless economic impact. Your sick of people bashing enviromentalists. Well I'm sick of people attacking other peoples livelyhoods based completly on theory.
That's nice. When I start attacking people's livelyhoods maybe this'll have some relevance. Secondly, you should take the time to learn what "theory" means in a scientific context. Here's a little quote from a wiki that helps explain why people with your views have a tendency to imply the wrong connotation when talking about the theory of global warming:
There is sometimes confusion between the scientific use of the word theory and its more informal use as a synonym for "speculation" or "conjecture." In science, a body of descriptions of knowledge is usually only called a theory once it has a firm empirical basis, i.e., it
-is consistent with pre-existing theory to the extent that the pre-existing theory was experimentally verified, though it will often show pre-existing theory to be wrong in an exact sense,
-is supported by many strands of evidence rather than a single foundation, ensuring that it probably is a good approximation if not totally correct,
has survived many critical real world tests that could have proven it false,
makes predictions that might someday be used to disprove the theory, and
i-s the best known explanation, in the sense of Occam's Razor, of the infinite variety of alternative explanations for the same data.

This is true of such established theories as special and general relativity, quantum mechanics (with minimal interpretation), plate tectonics, evolution, etc.
Remember, gravity is a theory, but nobody's got any politcal reasons to bring this up endlessly.
Funny how a liberal government signs on to an enviromental treaty which tries to put the full burden of compliance in the West. Nice how the feds do nothing to offer assistance to the west to help reduce emmisions. The rest of the country wants our oil money but won't contribute funds to curb greenhouse gas emmisions in the very provinces they want to rob.
Kyoto's not the answer, but I fail to see why any of my tax dollars should go to helping reduce pollution in a provice that recently mailed out $400 cheques to a large portion of it's inhabitants. Of course, I'm sure there'll be no shortage of westerners telling this Ontarian idiot why he's responsible for everything wrong in this country, but again, this doesn't have jack to do with global warming, just the usual hijacking of every political topic into an East v. West argument.
You know what I think the eastern fisharies should be closed forever because it's unnessasary to catch fish. and it's harmfull to the enviroment and therefore serves no purpose whatsoever. Also all the factories in Ontario and Quebec should be shut down because they contribute to our global polution problem. Ya right! :roll:
Attempt #2 at creating East v. West friction. You guys must get off on this stuff. Can you explain to me how what you've described here could possibly cause such massive economic harm as, for instance, tightening emmission restrictions on cars and trucks? I'm not talking about massive changes here bud, we've gotta walk before we run, but the first step is getting past the head-in-sand reaction that seems to be so common when this topic is discussed.

Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

costermonger wrote:
Dust Devil wrote:
Funny how a liberal government signs on to an enviromental treaty which tries to put the full burden of compliance in the West. Nice how the feds do nothing to offer assistance to the west to help reduce emmisions. The rest of the country wants our oil money but won't contribute funds to curb greenhouse gas emmisions in the very provinces they want to rob.
Kyoto's not the answer, but I fail to see why any of my tax dollars should go to helping reduce pollution in a provice that recently mailed out $400 cheques to a large portion of it's inhabitants. Of course, I'm sure there'll be no shortage of westerners telling this Ontarian idiot why he's responsible for everything wrong in this country, but again, this doesn't have jack to do with global warming, just the usual hijacking of every political topic into an East v. West argument.
Alberta wrote those cheques to the tax payers of Alberta because of the huge surpluses in that province. Every government should do that. governments are not supposed to be for profit corporations. Regardless of the surplus, if the Feds try to impose global treaties on provinces then the Feds should be responsible for picking up the tab. And really this isn't an east v.s west issue. it's a Liberal government v.s the west issue. Sometimes it gets skewed to look like an East v.s west thing because of the way the Liberals target the west. I'm guilty as much as anyone of using the term "east" where mabey I should say Liberals. For that I'm sorry. :)

//=S=//

A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed
CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

Coastmonger,

You hit the nail right on the head. There are some here who are fixiated on "east versus west". They see any criticism of anything in western Canada as an attack from the east.

The funny thing is, in many cases they have no idea where the criticism is coming from! They can't comprehend the idea that someone who lives in Calgary can be disgruntled with the Alberta government.

On the bright side, Dust Devil seems to be coming around!

:)

Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

CID wrote:Coastmonger,

You hit the nail right on the head. There are some here who are fixiated on "east versus west". They see any criticism of anything in western Canada as an attack from the east.

The funny thing is, in many cases they have no idea where the criticism is coming from! They can't comprehend the idea that someone who lives in Calgary can be disgruntled with the Alberta government.

On the bright side, Dust Devil seems to be coming around!

:)
I feel the icy grip of the dark side upon me :D

//=S=//

raven54
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by raven54 »

the population of NT is appx. 40,000...about the size of a small southern town...but occupying an area many times the size ofG.Britian so the impact is miniamal. most of the damage is propbably drifting up from the south.

Last edited by raven54 on Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

The kilometrage escapes me, but we're 1.5 million square miles.

The suggestion that a snowmobiler shutdown his machine whilst urinating was entertaining to me, since in the last decade, I've flown 120 or so hours looking for guys who had shut down their machine away from camp and had it fail to start back up.

Snowmobile @ idle (large-bladdered driver)= 1litre consumption
Twin Otter @ low power cruise in search= 2 208 litre drums per hour.

Maybe beakers use a different math.

Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

Dude I was kidding

//=S=//

Check Pilot
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Check Pilot »

They're at it again!!!!

What is this?

Just two weeks ago the Arctic was in trouble, now the rest of the country gets dragged into it.

These crazies must be getting really desperate for more of our tax dollars in the form of yet another environmental whacko grant.

Again they are "outraged".......

Study dumps on Canada's environmental record
Last Updated Tue, 18 Oct 2005 15:19:06 EDT
CBC News
Canada is one of the worst environmental performers in the industrialized world and has shown no improvement over the past decade, a new study says.

The report, researched at Simon Fraser University and released by the David Suzuki Foundation, ranked Canada 28th out of 30 member countries of the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development.

The ranking was based on what the study described as 29 key environmental indicators.

For example, Canada placed 28th in energy consumption, 26th in greenhouse gas emissions, 29th in water consumption, 27th in sulphur oxides pollution, and 30th in nuclear waste and carbon monoxide.

"Our research found Canada's environmental performance to be surprisingly low," said Thomas Gunton, who headed the research team. "Canada lags behind in almost every performance indicator."

European countries such as Switzerland, Denmark and Germany ranked at the top of the environmental list, while Belgium and the United States joined Canada at the bottom.

Canada's greenhouse gas emissions are two times higher than the average for other industrialized countries. Major smog-causing air pollutants are two-to-three times higher.

The study found Canada has shown no improvement over the past decade. Canada's rank today is the same as it was in 1992.

There were a couple of brighter notes. Canada ranked ninth in recycling and eighth in pesticide use.

"The Canada we see in this report does not reflect the one we hold in our hearts," Suzuki said. "Canadians expect more and they expect better. We should be outraged that we are among the worst in the industrialized world."

I just hope nobody takes this as another crisis of the week.

ozone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ozone »

http://www.strangedangers.com/content/item/106964.html
This is just one example of global warming. In my opinion people in general don't seem to be taking this topic very seriously. There is rarely anything on the news about this etc. This is becoming a big problem and is only going to get worse.

Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

ozone wrote:http://www.strangedangers.com/content/item/106964.html
This is just one example of global warming. In my opinion people in general don't seem to be taking this topic very seriously. There is rarely anything on the news about this etc. This is becoming a big problem and is only going to get worse.
I think the 2004 picture is prettier. :D

//=S=//

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

Koyoto?? Oh, no... *cough*BS*cough*

http://www.freedominion.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=46456
Canada lags U.S. in cutting pollution: watchdog
CTV.ca News Staff

According to the study released by Pollution Watch, Environmental Defence and the Canadian Environmental Law Association on Wednesday, Canada cut its air pollution by 1.8 percent between 1995 and 2002.

In the same period, the United States managed to cut air pollution by 45 percent.

Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

:D
there must be some treehugger who has an excuse for this

//=S=//

LH
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by LH »

After persusing many of the posts on this subject and the thoughts put forth, I have a few of my own:

1) There are two "camps" of very studied and learned scientists on this subject and THAT'S why the inaction of many governments........and rightly so. The question has been posed many times.........what if this trend towards global warming is a cycle that happens every 500 years or so? The weather-keeping data from 500 years ago was scanty to say the least. There is also evidence from wood salvaged from buried Viking ships excavated in Norway, that the growth rings in the wood suggest that this has all happened before. That is also one of many sources that is being tapped at present to see if this type of event is a cycle that has taken place before in the history of the earth.

2) David Suzuki? Ahhhh what a wonderful and well-meaning man. He and his ilk protested roads being built into Tweedsmuir Provincial Park in BC. It was a large and very beautiful park that got infested with "bug worm". Forestry and others wanted to allow loggers into the Park to rid the Park of those infested trees. Suzuki's reply to all that?......."No roads and no logging.......and let Mother Nature handle the problem". The result? Tweedsmuir Provincial Park is now totally destroyed. If a fforest fire ever starts in that Park, the townships of Fraser Lake and Ft. St . James will exist no more and they will be fighting that fire on the outshirts of Prince George, BC.

Mr. Suzuki claims to care much for the forests of BC and Canada, but where was he and his kind when the fires were burning and destroying the forests around Kamloops and Kelowna two years ago? They nor any of their resources were seen or heard from and they were absolutely and totally silent during and after that event. They could have at least volunteered their time, resouces and/or help, but it would appear that putting nails into tree trunks in order to maim or kill some unsuspecting tree-faller with a chain saw is something that draws out more of their members than helping out during fires where their beloved forests are burning.

3) Perhaps before anyone starts beating on Canadians or Americans and their miniscule amount of supposed gas guzzlers, compared to the rest of the world, they might want to visit Shanghai, China first, for example. That city and area houses half of the population of the entire country of Canada. When outside in that city, everyone wears face masks each day that are similar to the ones used for spray painting in our part of the world. There is no intention now or for any time in the forseeable future that they intend to do any smog polution remedies. Ergo folks, we can clean-up our supposed pollution of the atmosphere and it ain't going to do "diddley". IF they and we do it together, then a noticeable effect will take place. Until then, don't waste your breath bitching about what we do until you get countries that pollute like China does to "get onboard". Don't mean to be insulting folks, but we can't get delusions of grandeur on this subject because we don't have the numbers of population to rate on any scale. California has almost the same population as ALL of Canada and just the population of Greater New York City has half the population of ALL of Canada. THOSE are the types of places in the world where you start and beating up on your neighbour and his SUV or chewing-out the Inuit about his idling Skidoo while he has a piss is totally unfair and laughable.

Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

LH wrote:or chewing-out the Inuit about his idling Skidoo while he has a piss is totally unfair and laughable.
It is laughable that's why I made a joke about it. I wasn't really bitchin about the poor bastards taking a piss.

//=S=//

Return to “The Water Cooler”