Another reason to go to university

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Scuba_Steve
Rank 7
Rank 7

Another reason to go to university

Post by Scuba_Steve »

You won't be bothered by those ooh so annoying Canadian Armed Forces recruiters

http://www.excal.on.ca/index.php?option ... 1&Itemid=2

Power to the (ignorant) poeple eh?
---------- ADS -----------

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

I always scare my co-op students by telling them if they don't get good grades, they'll turn out like me ;)

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

Seig Heil! Young York Students..

Democracy at it's finest...

:roll:

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

I wonder how many of these York anarchists drive their parents' SUVs to school every day.

Have fun doing the protest thing while you can, kids. As soon as you're forced to work at WAL-MART with your fine arts degree, your idealism will be beaten out of you pretty quickly.

-istp :roll:

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Time to bring back compulsory service.

bizjet_mania
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by bizjet_mania »

in what military?

fingersmac
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by fingersmac »

bring it back?? i don't think we ever had compulsory service in peace time.

whipline
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by whipline »

Maybe the military should send the JTF2 squad to York and give Omari and the gang an interactive lesson on what they do for a living. Like it or not the only reason students like that are afforded the right to propagate that BS is because of militaries past and present.

Maybe the students of York, once again led by Omari and Ahmed could send a delagation over to Afghanistan to let their voices be heard there? I"ll personally chip in for airfare. Do you think they will require a return ticket?

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Does Canada really need a military? Perhaps a world class coast guard. Perhaps something like a National Guard? But a full blown military? That would involve spending hundreds of billions of dollars. Even more than the Leafs are paying Lindros? More, even than our well conceived gun registry? Subs that could (if needed) make the journey all the way acroos Lake Erie. Non stop. Without fires. And helicopters that can fly over built up areas without sheading parts on the populace below! Or can we rely on the Yanks for protection? They (the Yanks) are the only country that would ever consider invading us. I've been told, we need an armed force to protect the sea routes in our north. Dont want to have to go to war with Norway over that rock in the arctic? Hell, we cant even control street gangs in our cities. So, why would we want to spend millions keeping the peace in some backwater third world country, where the answer to their problems is as simple as birth control? Come to think of it, that's pretty big problem with certain segments of our own population? But we're too PC to mention it?

Scuba_Steve
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Scuba_Steve »

I used to live in a University down in southern ontario so when I would go to work in uniform (reservist) I would often get some interestig comments especially around the time gulf war II broke out. Most included being called a baby killer, having a rather rude song about the 101st Airborne div being sung behind me (interesting since it was a vietnam era song and baby killer is a vietnam era moniker) I had several poeple give me the old Siek hiel salute, I loved that one. I finnaly turned around on one guy and asked him why he was applying a vietnam era insult to me, since I had obviously not lived through vietnam, and being a CANADIAN would not have participated. Her just spouted off soem leftist bullshit and I left.

Some friends had interesting stories dealing with University types. One was leaving a job fair at the local uni when a girl no more than 5 feet tall ran up and SPIT in his damn face then RAN away....wow what courage! Then another...this one really gets me mad...ran into a gruop of them verbally abusing a 70 year old veteran of the Italian campaign, downtown, even knocking his medalls off his chest. this was shortly after the gentleman had attended a mess dinner at our unit. the croud naturally turned on my uniformed friend who was trying to help the poor guy out and started shouting abuse to him as well..

Leftist indoctrination at its finest. I have no problem with poeple whos views are left of center and can Coherently and constructivly share them, but this kind of crap makes me sick.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Disrespect of our veterns is disgusting! These people have their freedoms thanks to these men and women who gave up years of their lives, and in many cases their lives, and the young, not ever having been through a war, or an armed conflict seem to loose touch with reality on a regular basis. They need to ask themselves where they'd be today if Adolph had actually won WWII?? You wouldn't be spending mommy and daddy's money taking up space in a Canadian university! Most would be back in the backwater nations from wence they came....because those nations WOULD be "backwater" because they would be the opressed antions of the non-pure...think about it. There would be no Jews. I hope the use of the word "Jew" is PC? Well, if Hitler had been the victor, we wouldn't have PC, now would we? Hell, we wouldn't have the NHL, the NFL and for sure, not the NBA!

EI-EIO
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EI-EIO »

Isn't there a garrison at Downsview? Maybe they should do a drive by with whatever vehicles are on hand, not forgetting to honk loudly as they pass the SU, several times.

Having attended Glasgow University in Scotland during GW I (during which literally half of student union meetings were taken up with Gulf War "motions" and several EGMs called on the subject I can attest to the stupidity which surrounds this subject.

I am uncomfortable with military recruiters having access to student records as is the case in the States, but the University should be vigorously ensuring the CF's right to hold a recruitment stand FFS. York isn't shy about throwing its weight around so I can't understand what's holding them back this time.

dangerous
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dangerous »

Scuba,

That type of person does not deserve to live under the blanket of freedom that their country's military provides. I'm not saying that Canada is actively fighting off bad guys at home, but the military has contributed to several campaigns abroad in the last century: WW1 and WW2, who can forget those? The world may be a totally different place today if the Canadian military was never created.

I salute those in uniform.

"Yeah. There is a problem. You...because you're dangerous. You're dangerous and foolish - and that makes you dangerous! Now, let's cut the...crap. We've got a plane to fly. Let's try to be on time, okay?"
~Val Kilmer, Saturday Night Live
Scuba_Steve
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Scuba_Steve »

Dangerous,

I couldn't agree more, I really didn't care when poeple gave me grief, I mostly laughed at their ignorance. But when that Vet was accosted I was seeing Red, I wish I had of gone downtown with my friend to be able to confront those jackasses.

I know plenty of university students both past and present who do not think this way, and are all around great poeple. It seems that academia attracks this type of noisey extreme leftist type perona and caters to it.

My friend (who is in the military) attends York and calls it less a university and more of a left wing indoctrination camp.

I would agree with poeple taking issue with recruiters having access to school records and being more aggressive in their recruiting (like in the states) but having attended recruiting events before I can attest to the fact that the Canadian military takes a very different approach, if you don't want to talk to us we're not going to bother you. They are only interested in poeple who WANT to be in the military, which makes total sense! I would like to see university leadership get involved in this and not allow the students to run the show, but i feel that isn't going to happen.

Cheers

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I laughed when Ahmed (the director for equality) gave his two cents in the article. I'm sure he doesn't mind PLO/Hamas/Palastinian charities, etc., etc. recruiting on campus. Our military made this country friendly for immigrants like myself. It would be nice if everyone (including our firend Ahmed) share this appreciation.

Walker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Long winded rant....

Post by Walker »

whipline wrote:Maybe the military should send the JTF2 squad to York and give Omari and the gang an interactive lesson on what they do for a living. Like it or not the only reason students like that are afforded the right to propagate that BS is because of militaries past and present.

Maybe the students of York, once again led by Omari and Ahmed could send a delagation over to Afghanistan to let their voices be heard there? I"ll personally chip in for airfare. Do you think they will require a return ticket?

Like it or not the only reason the JTF2 are afforded the PRIVILAGE to exist is because the citizens IE students pay taxes to have an army do what they are told..... If the citizens of a country tell the military to F-off then the military is be obligated to obey.... Granted these students did not follow the proper channels, IE contact their MP etc... However what they did was totally Legal, and the whole theory of what the military is supposed to protect is the rights of the citizens to carry out their lives in the way that the citizens see fit to live it. And if that means that the citizens want to ability to protest the very entity that stands to protect them then SO BE IT, we should be very grateful to live in a county that STILL PERMITS THIS TO HAPPEN.... (IE guess how this would go over down south, in the nation that has historically been based on the whole notion of freedom...)
Now personally I do not have any issue with some level of recruitment IE a booth at a career fair, But what we are all forgetting here is that it is the citizens of a nation that give the nation (read: Military) its power and it is the collective will of the population that is "supposed" to control policy within some reason..... IE as long as it is within the envelope of the charter of human rights etc.... And as for as I read there was no violation of law here…

Unlike today in the US today where it is popular opinion that totally controls the government. As a point of interest what is happening in the US today despite popular belief is in fact a democracy…. IE the will of the people. HOWEVER total democracy is not all that it is cracked up to be… A democracy is essentially 50% +1 of the peoples common will, so if 50%+1 says that the other 49.9999% of the population should be raped & shot, then in a true democracy, GET TO IT!!!!!!

As a point of interest in NONE of the founding documents of the US is the word “Democracy” used once… Another word is used instead, “Republic” the main difference is that in a republic the rights of the citizens are protected in some form (example a constitution), and changing popular will cannot contravene this… So what do we have now down south, 50%+1 of red necks, trailer trash, religious nut jobs, and a whole hell of a lot of people suckered in by a VERY clever and sophisticated propaganda machine… and they all feel that it is totally justifiable to have the very sole of their nation trampled over, A sole that many thousands of their for fathers died and suffered trying to create…

It makes me sick to my stomach to even think about… What once was the beacon for freedom and for modern civilization, something that took generations to build, is being unceremoniously torn to shreds in less than a decade, Pre war Germany anyone?

SO when a few students up here decide to exercise their RIGHT* to protest, even if you do not agree with what they are protesting you should be willing to fight to the death for their right to say it…

-my $0.003125

∑ yes I know the point of law that some may argue about the charter (not wistanding clause) but it is the spirit of the law to which I am referring….

-End Rant…

mellow_pilot
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mellow_pilot »

First off, I'm a 'university-type'. I would appreciate not being lumped in with these granola-eating, bandwagon-jumping sheep.

The only reason these little pukes can say what they are saying is cause some one in a uniform did dirty work. Not because they liked it or wanted to, but because it was their DUTY. A word these assholes wouldn't understand. I got a few more:

HONOR, COMRADESHIP, COUNTRY, JUSTICE, RIGHT, TRUTH, INTEGRITY.

Grrrrrr...

PS I hope the story of the assaulted vet ends in bloodshed.

Damnit, now I pissed... I'm going to write the York student union.

Dyslexics of the world... UNTIE!
mellow_pilot
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mellow_pilot »

yfs@yorku.ca

There's the address if you want to tell these morons off.

Dyslexics of the world... UNTIE!
cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

mellow_pilot wrote:yfs@yorku.ca

There's the address if you want to tell these morons off.
Why bother??

Typical response, (imo) will be, with a page long rant...

"you nazi..."
"you warmongerrer..."
"you anti-semite(only cause it's York =P)..."

But if someone does write, please post your msg and their reply.. =)

Scuba_Steve
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Scuba_Steve »

Walker I don't think anyone yet has posted that these poeple should not be allowed to voice their opinion, just that their opinion is not being counter by the university or anyone really, while poeple left of center are welcome to their opinion and to protest whatever they wish, it seems these days to often be abused and to be 'unpolticially correct' to counter any view that is left leaning.

I have no problem with poeple who have a issue with the military, simply do not join if it is not for you, canada is a society that does not force poeple to join the military for voting rights or for conscription. but at the same time believe it or not we do need a military, there are Many poeple out there who would like to join, why impinge on their rights to get information about it at a job fair? seriously its not like the Canadian military is out aggressively trying to recruit poeple like in the US.

Also this latest trend of accusing our military of human rights abuses in Afghanistan is the biggest pile of BS I've ever heard. I think some poeple seem to WANT canada to be involed in a US style Vietnam, so they have some purpose to their lives.

Cheers

Return to “The Water Cooler”