Iraq

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

We support your War of Terror!! :lol:
---------- ADS -----------

Dash-Ate
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dash-Ate »

Still scratching my head. Here's another one where the troops did not stand up for your freedoms:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings

The Kent State shootings, also known as the May 4 massacre or Kent State massacre, occurred at Kent State University in the city of Kent, Ohio, and involved the shooting of students by members of the Ohio National Guard on Monday, May 4, 1970. Four students were killed and nine others wounded, one of whom suffered permanent paralysis.[2]

Some of the students who were shot were protesting the American invasion of Cambodia, which President Richard Nixon announced in a television address on April 30. However, other students who were shot were merely walking nearby or observing the protest at a distance.[3][4]

There was a significant national response to the shootings: hundreds of universities, colleges, high schools, and even middle schools closed throughout the United States due to a student strike of eight million students, and the event further divided the country along political lines.

That'll buff right out :rolleyes:
sigmet77
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sigmet77 »

Yeah, let's compare that to what is going on today. If you want to go back to Kent State era why not go back to WWII? Should we have rolled over and played dead for Adolf to rule the world? You could kiss the free speach you have on this forum goodbye if that was the case. How about this, let's have every soldier in the world turn in their guns for a boquet of flowers.

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by sky's the limit »

sigmet77 wrote: Should we have rolled over and played dead for Adolf to rule the world?

How about this, let's have every soldier in the world turn in their guns for a boquet of flowers.

Hitler and Saddam? Um not even close, especially considering the U.S. made Saddam what he was.... The U.S., Britain, and to a lesser extent France, have made Iraq the cesspool it is today, they have nobody to thank but themselves. What the Bush Administration has unleashed on the population of that country is nothing short of criminal, whatever their trumped up reasons of the day are. It's Nark's bosses that should be strung up.

As for the flowers, that's actually one hell of an idea.

stl

sigmet77
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sigmet77 »

I knew you'd say that about the flowers.

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

sigmet77 wrote:I knew you'd say that about the flowers.

Ah crap,

I'm becoming predictable??? I'll work on that. :wink:

stl

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

Flowers, I don't think so. To much sand.
How about lollipops? The kids already know how to ask for candy in broken english.

For those of you keeping count, I saw a camel spider the other day. I tried to squish the little devil (about an inch long). He played dead then ran away. They're fast little bastards.

I just missed a scorpion, and have yet to hear about any snakes. A hyena ran in front of me while I was wearing Night Vision Goggles, scared the crap out of me. Almost had to change my shorts. He was already gone by the time I could sight in.

Not a whole lot of violence to report this week. Other than it's getting cold at night, which makes getting out of my nice warm rack to walk to the head 150' away from my hooch a pain in the ass.

Cheers.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Lollypops it is.

When I was living down in the tropics, I saw the largest spider I'd ever seen - when lying in bed one night reading, it climbed up my wall, went out the window(shutters only), and I'm sure to this day it was going Moose hunting or something. The bastard was the size of my hand. My wife just preferred to pretend we didn't see it.

stl

sigmet77
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sigmet77 »

See you could have used a gun then, maybe an elephant gun if he was that big.

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

sigmet77 wrote:See you could have used a gun then, maybe an elephant gun if he was that big.

True enough, I do own several guns, they're not the problem, it's the agendas behind the Armies that wield them I have issue with - particularly this neo-conservative agenda.

Yes, that F*ckr was big...

stl

canadadry
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Iraq

Post by canadadry »

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/they-k ... e=fullpage

http://blogs.abcnews.com/rapidreport/20 ... ws-no.html

Iran next ?

http://www.vdare.com/roberts/080323_bomb.htm
.......Who would be trying to build a secret nuclear weapon or perhaps only a "dirty bomb" that would serve to spread some radiation and massive amounts of fear and hysteria? The public has been carefully prepared to suspect Iran. If such a device were exploded somewhere in the United States, Bush, Cheney, and the neocon Nazis would have their second new Pearl Harbor to justify their planned attack on Iran.

JBL
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JBL »

God Bless America and the troops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq5_vG3cYGM

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Iraq: Confessions lead to mass grave By KIM GAMEL, Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD - Confessions from Shiite militiamen led Saturday to the discovery of 15 more bodies dumped in mass graves south of Baghdad, officials said — the second such find this week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Women shrouded in black and holding family photos rushed to the muddy field in Mahmoudiya in hopes of finding missing loved ones who have disappeared.

The grisly discovery came two days after the Iraqi troops found the remains of 30 people believed to have been killed more than a year ago buried in three abandoned houses elsewhere in the area.

Mass graves have been turning up with increasing frequency as American and Iraqi military operations have cleared former militant strongholds, allowing troops to step up patrols in previous no-go zones.

But the others have all been in mainly Sunni areas in Anbar province to the west and Diyala to the north of the capital. Those areas had been dominated by al-Qaida in Iraq until the group's brutal tactics helped turn Sunni tribal leaders against it.

The U.S. military said the mass graves unearthed in Mahmoudiya were the first found in the area south of Baghdad, long known as the triangle of death before a recent decline in violence.

The remains were found after recently detained militia leaders confessed to killing dozens of Sunnis as well as Shiite rivals and burying the bodies in the abandoned houses and adjacent fields, according to Iraqi army and city officials.

The find offered new evidence of the atrocities carried out by Shiite death squads that were known for their trademark kidnappings and execution-style killings until they were reined in by an Aug. 29 cease-fire by anti-U.S. cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, the leader of the feared Mahdi Army militia.

Bullet-riddled bodies continue to turn up on the streets of Baghdad and other cities, but the numbers are now in the single digits instead of the dozens. An ongoing violent standoff between al-Sadr's fighters and U.S.-backed Iraqi troops has raised concerns the truce could be at risk.

Thirteen of the bodies found Saturday had been dumped in one grave about 500 yards away from the local office of al-Sadr's movement, while two others were buried together in a nearby area, city spokesman Ather Kamil said.

But an Iraqi army officer, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to release the information, said Shiites also were caught up in the violence but most of the victims were believed to be Sunnis.

Neighbors said it was common knowledge that the Mahdi Army used the three abandoned houses as detention centers but nobody asked details about what was happening inside.

"The Iraqi forces found many decomposed bodies in this house and I think that these dead bodies have been here for a long time and cannot be identified," said resident Shihab al-Azawi.

Authorities said they have so far been able to identify only two sets of remains that were found Thursday — a 22-year-old Sunni woman whose clothing was recognized by a nurse at the hospital and a 31-year-old Sunni municipality worker who still had his ID. Their families have fled the area.

In the vast majority of missing person cases in Iraq, families are left guessing forever about what happened because Iraqi officials usually lack such forensics aids as DNA and dental records. The insurgents also typically removed the IDs after killing their victims.

But desperate women and children wailed and waved photos, hoping for any sign of their missing loved ones, as they surrounded the Iraqi troops who exhumed the bodies on Saturday.

U.S. soldiers provided cover and helicopters buzzed overhead. Other Iraqi soldiers continued to comb the palm tree-lined desert area, apparently looking for more bodies.

Laman Kamil, a 35-year-old Shiite homemaker, said her brother, Ali, disappeared about six months ago while he was on his way to the market.

"After we heard the news about this mass grave we rushed to the site and I recognized my brother by his blue tracksuit and a broken finger on one of his hands," she said, weeping.

It was unclear if other bodies had been identified by relatives on Saturday.

Mahmoudiya, a predominantly Shiite city of some 600,000 people, sits in an area about 20 miles south of Baghdad that has a volatile mix of extremists from both sides of the sectarian divide.

Sunnis comprise about 20 percent of its population, but many families have moved to escape the sectarian cleansing campaign, and their houses often were torched and belongings scattered.

The Shiite fighters were angry over fierce attacks by Sunni insurgents in an area long known as the triangle of death, leading to a fierce cycle of retaliatory sectarian violence.

The attacks ebbed last year with al-Sadr's cease-fire, a Sunni revolt against al-Qaida in Iraq and an influx of American troops.

The lull in violence and the clearing of former insurgent strongholds has led to the increasing discovery of mass graves.

An Associated Press tally shows that at least 662 bodies have been unearthed in mass graves since May 29, 2007 — about half of them this year.

However, all but the 45 found this week were in predominantly Sunni neighborhoods in Baghdad and al-Qaida strongholds in Diyala and Anbar provinces.

___

Associated Press employees in Mahmoudiya contributed to this report.

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

bmc

Return to “The Water Cooler”