Patty Wagstaff Busted

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

AirAddict
Rank 0
Rank 0

Patty Wagstaff Busted

Post by AirAddict »

http://www.aero-news.net/news/sport.cfm ... &Dynamic=1

Wagstaff Has Her Day In Court On DUI Charge
Sun, 21 Dec '08

Fined For First-Time DUI, Resisting An Officer
Aerobatic pilot Patty Wagstaff appeared in a Wisconsin court Friday to face charges stemming from a July 31 incident at Wittman Regional Airport during last summer's AirVenture.

Wagstaff, 57, pleaded no contest to first-offense drunken driving and a misdemeanor charge of resisting an officer. A related charge of refusing to submit to breathalyzer and blood-alcohol tests was dropped as part of a plea bargain.

Winnebago County Assistant District Attorney Adam Levin told the court that after her arrest, Wagstaff was verbally abusive to law enforcement, hospital and jail staff, using profanity, calling the officers "pigs" and saying they "did not know who they were dealing with."

"This was an unpleasant display of somebody thinking they were more special than others," Levin said, and recommended the court fine Wagstaff $1,300 and impose a nine-month suspension of her driving privileges.

Defense Attorney Michael Lim argued that allegations of abusive language and the police reports in general had been exaggerated. Lim requested the court set the fine at $225 with a six month license revocation, reported the Oshkosh Northwestern.

Winnebago County Circuit Court Judge Barbara Key sentenced Wagstaff to pay $500 in fines plus court costs, and revoked her driver's license for eight months. "This isn't something atypical that police have to deal with," Key said. "And I don't think the defendant should pay anything more because of who she is or anything less either."

As ANN reported, Wagstaff had the altercation at AirVenture 2008 while attempting to get back from the "Gathering of Eagles" dinner, en route to the nearby Hilton, using interior airport access. Wagstaff was reportedly among a group of at least three other persons, and apparently got off-kilter on the grounds of Wittman Field. Her vehicle got the rapt attention of Oshkosh airport/airshow security, and the situation went downhill from there.

Wagstaff freely admitted that she was "in the wrong place at the wrong time" and horribly embarrassed at what transpired. Security "busted" her for being in an unauthorized area on the airport grounds, and the matter escalated into an "uncomfortable" situation which required the attention of the Winnebago County Sheriff to resolve.

Wagstaff had no comment on Friday's outcome, but said that the EAA has invited her back to Oshkosh to perform at AirVenture 2009.
---------- ADS -----------

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Re: Patty Wagstaff Busted

Post by . ._ »

She's still a great pilot. And I'm jealous of the cop that got to frisk her. :?

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

That kind of sucks. She was a pretty big role model.....

But then again my last role model was nick nolte so.... :roll:

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

revoked her driver's license for eight months
Things are different in the USA - the FAA may very well pull
her pilot certificate, simply because of her DUI.

I know an american pilot from Alaska who lost his pilot certificate
for a year and half, simply because he had a DUI.

I hope that doesn't happen to Patty - it would shut down
her airshow flying.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

First off....She's 57? I would have thought she might be pushing 45, buy not 57!

Second...Why do highly skilled athletes continue to put themselves in this position? Behavior like that belongs in Hollywood, or maybe the NFL, but come on Patty....we don't have all that many roll models in aviation?

Knowing how the FAA went after Bob Hoover, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they went after Patty. She's WAY to high profile to have this slip "under the radar".

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

istp wrote:She's still a great pilot. And I'm jealous of the cop that got to frisk her. :?
She is a great pilot, although I was most disappointed when I met her about 4 years ago while her crew were using my AME's hanger as their staging ground for an airshow. She never said hello to anyone, spent most of her time in her trailer, acted like she ran the whole place and even yelled at me for being ''in HER hanger''. She yelled to her crew to get me out of the hanger, and that's when I lost it! My bird had just spent 3 days outside so that we could be ''nice guys'' and let her crew use my hanger space at no cost! That's when my AME also lost it, and kicked her and her entourage all out a day before the show ended. ''Don't let the door knob hit your azz the way out sweety'' were his exact words! I don't understand how a role model, an ambassador for aviation could be so rude and hostile when people were being nice and helpful. Guess she hasn't changed one single bit since then!

P.S She ain't that hot when she gets out of her trailer in the morning istp! :shock:

Last edited by TeePeeCreeper on Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

I don't know how anybody could describe Patty Wagstaff as "Hot"? Scrawny blond chick with an ongoing bad hair day? She's yours!

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Looks better than most 57-yr old women I know!

They better looking than that up north at age 57, Doc? :wink:

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

A friend of mine got busted for DUI, but got to keep flying after pleading his case. Of course, that's Canada. Taxi drivers and bus drivers I've heard get to keep working as well... first offense, maybe she'll get off easy.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

I looked pretty hot in 1985 as well.

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

Doc wrote:ongoing bad hair day
See, she probably thinks it looks good though Doc... no one's had the guts to tell her the 80's called and want their hairstyle back.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

You could make a pretty good baseball glove out of that skin.

Sasquash
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sasquash »

There is a requirement in the States to forward all DUI info to the FAA which is then cross reference to the FAA Airmen data. FAA would then take action against the airmen licence.

In Canada, such is not the case, UNLESS the police authority is aware of the alleged impaired driver being a pilot as well. The Canadian crown prosecutor may request a Prohibition order from the courts which will affect the Canadian Aviation document as well.

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

I looked pretty hot in 1985 as well
We need pics, Doc! Lots of pics!

Return to “The Water Cooler”