Living in YXU, lets hear about it.

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Living in YXU, lets hear about it.

Post by KAG »

I want to hear about living in London, the good, bad and ugly. We've been looking on MLS and it seems you get alot for your money, and the community seems nice. But how about the city, what it has to offer and so on.

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
JBelfour
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Living in YXU, lets hear about it.

Post by JBelfour »

I grew up in YXU in the far west BYRON. I got out as soon as high school was complete... Great town to grow up in. Lots of Trees (yes they call it the forrest city), but other then that I think its a hole and glad I got out. I do still go home every now and then to visit my mom and step dad.....not much else to say...

Jody

4Stroke
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 4Stroke »

I currently live in YXU. Great city. Big enough to have everything you need, still small enough to drive from one end to the other in 30 minutes (on a sunday....).

Housing market is turning nicely towards buyers. We're currently looking as well. The Mrs. is on MLS.ca consantly :roll:

Like any city, there is crime, drugs, hooligans, etc. But I think you can find a nice place to raise some 'chilluns.

Good luck on the hunt!

4Stroke
:mrgreen:

PS: Plus, being a university town, there are a great number of pubs, bars, with um, "scenery". :twisted:

mattedfred
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mattedfred »

pm me for some insight

C-FABH
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by C-FABH »

Anyone that thinks YXU is a hole needs to spend some time up north. 'Nuff said.

I have family/friends down that way in the west end and I visit quite often. The 'downtown core' isn't incredibly classy but there's all kinds of big box stores opening around the suburbs and overall a very nice place.

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

I lived there 5 years, loved it and wish I could move back. The N-NW end is the nicest area, at least I think so (close to UWO, Masonville area). East end, especially towards the airport, not-so-nice. If your looking at apptmts, the ones near Proudfoot are pretty nice.

And as 4Stroke pointed out, the "scenery" is beautiful, especially in the summer. :twisted:

‎"Never travel faster than your guardian angel can fly." - Mother Theresa
magyar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by magyar »

yeah i lived there. ah yes the trees and water i always mention no matter where in canada i go or live, ahh the trees and water ahhh! the leaf on the flag is put there for a good reason. yeah um the people seem a bit friendlier than some other major cities, fair size has required shopping and eating and entertainment areas, parks, etc. 40min drive to the beach in the summer, i would live there again.

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

Lived there 5 years and would likely still be there if Jazz hadn't shutdown their base.

If you love to golf, bike, camp, fish, go the beach, drink Timmies, watch good jnr hockey in a nice rink, drive to T.O. to see a show or hockey game, fly somewhere warm for cheap (yyz/dtw), drink beer and eat cheap pizza (stobey's), etc its a great place. All without the T.O. bullshit. It was the best place I lived in my flying career (not that YVC, ZGR, YTH, YWG were real competion, yyc was close)

Lot's of cheap golf with a long season. Preety good stealheading in the fall up north and some overall pretty friendly hard working people (lots of farmers with city jobs)

The only thing that sucked was the ice fishing and the ski hill (you can golf on it in the summer) but it was a pretty good single track site.

PS I could walk to 3 timmies from my house

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Thanks fopr the advice.

We are looking at MLS and shaking our heads. We were looking into Port Credit but it's on the pricey side, High Park is out of the question (until I'm a skipper anyway) so were looking into affordable options that have lots the amenities with quality older homes of character. Yes YXU is a drive to YYZ, but living in Midland, were driving almost 2 hours now anyway, so it’s not a big difference. As much as I try, I just can’t see me being totally happy in Toronto, but I like city life. This may be a good compromise. And man is it cheap when compared to T.O!!! You can buy alot for 350K!!!

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

KAG,

You live in Midland and wanna move to London? No disrespect for the London folk here, but I think you're looking the wrong way. I live just south of you (near Horseshoe Valley) and I do the drive to YYZ in about 1+10 easily. I have a gorgeous new home on acreage for under $400K. I'll take the drive on the 400 any day over driving that 'other' highway...

Just my opinion, of course! Good luck.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

The Barrie area (Midhurst specifically) is another area we are looking. Realistically were just getting ideas as we only moved into this house 9 months ago and I think were stuck with it for awhile With the market softening and all. We could rent it out though.

We also looked in your area. Some pretty sweet homes!!!

countryhick
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by countryhick »

I also lived in Byron for just over a year, and loved it. If you are not needing to be in the city, there are numerous small towns that are within an hour to 1.5 away. Elora, Fergus, Erin to name a few. All close to KW/Guelph area, and very attractive housing prices.

Good luck

sdogg0
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sdogg0 »

London is a great area, went to college at Fanshawe. Man let me tell you, soon as spring comes, niiiiiiiiiice scenery every where you look. Maybe conduct a search on the outskirts of london. If you dont mind a drive there is great country areas around, maybve an extra 30 min drive.

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

You're missing the best area within a similar commute time. NIAGARA!. I've lived near London and also in the Niagara region and again, no disrespect to Londoners but Niagara is much nicer. Low house prices, lots of hiking trails, rollerblading along the river, wineries, shopping in the U.S., all the amenities of a big city. Look at some of the small communities just west of St. Catharines, Lincoln, Beamsville etc.
Another option would be just South of Hamilton in the Caledonia area.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Stinky wrote:You're missing the best area within a similar commute time. NIAGARA!. I've lived near London and also in the Niagara region and again, no disrespect to Londoners but Niagara is much nicer. Low house prices, lots of hiking trails, rollerblading along the river, wineries, shopping in the U.S., all the amenities of a big city. Look at some of the small communities just west of St. Catharines, Lincoln, Beamsville etc.
Another option would be just South of Hamilton in the Caledonia area.

Calendonia area? Dude are you serious? Yes the houses are cheap there, but there is a reason. :roll:

Let’s Go Brandon
Highflyinpilot
Rank 8
Rank 8
Location: Holy Hell, is that what you look like in the morning

Post by Highflyinpilot »

Having never lived in southern ontario, I have to ask what is wrong with calendonia?

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

There is a big land dispute with the local indian reserve (Six Nations) and they basically took over a newly built subdivision and had a highway blockaded for several weeks. Making life for the locals pretty miserable and not helping the real estate values much! (unless you're a buyer)

Let’s Go Brandon
Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

Calendonia area? Dude are you serious? Yes the houses are cheap there, but there is a reason.
I haven't actually lived in Caledonia but have heard it's alright. Geographically it seems like a good spot.

As far as Niagara, I have lived there and if I was based in Toronto I wouldn't consider any other location personally.

Highflyinpilot
Rank 8
Rank 8
Location: Holy Hell, is that what you look like in the morning

Post by Highflyinpilot »

That's right, I remember hearing about that in the news some time ago.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Oh dont get me wrong its a really nice area. I just wouldn't want the threat of some sqautters showing up on my lawn saying it's all the sudden theirs again!

Let’s Go Brandon

Return to “The Water Cooler”