International Day of Climate Action

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

The Old Fogducker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

International Day of Climate Action

Post by The Old Fogducker »

Gee ... sorry I missed that event recently, but I slept in well past my normal wake up time because I attended an equally important show of public support for a very worthy cause last night, and it continued into the early morning.

You know me, always up for attending a peace rally, anti-war demonstration, Code Pink public information session, you name it ... any cause, anywhere ... if it involves a lot of shouting, sign and fist waving, rock throwing at the dastardly cops, bandanna wearing, firebomb tossing, "rent a radical," then I'd normally be right there ... you know that. I sure wouldn't have missed the Day of Climate Action parade for all the world.....but being a professional demonstrator means that due to a crowded calendar, you're bound to upset someone sooner or later.

About 10:30 the evening before International Day of Climate Action, I went to the front steps of the Legislative Building and attended a midnight Candlelight Vigil for World Peace so that Mahmoud Ahmadinejad would understand we mean him no harm, and there is just no need for him to build any nuclear weapons.

Of course we chanted our fervent support for President Obama's plan for us in the consumer-driven decadent western world to be rid of all our nukes, all of 'em ... every last one, just so everyone world-wide would see we mean no harm to anyone.

Now why would any rational foreign leader like Kim Jong Il for example would want to waste money on bombs when they could feed their low income social strata? They only pursue a nuke because they are so afraid of us. You know how much we yearn for the opportunity to press the big red button on North Korea.... so if there is no fear, Mr. Il will begin to love us.

Therefore, all nations would destroy their weapons and we would be proven right in believing they are exactly like we are and would behave in the same way.

Because I'm just an average guy, from an average town, I can't be sure about a lot of this stuff, but our local Community Organizer and self-styled guru said that our "collective positive vibes" had to end up somewhere in the cosmos, and therefore do some good by balancing out some of the negative waves that whiz about the cosmos at the speed of light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuStsFW4EmQ

All that channeling of our mental energies was like ....... just so totally exhausting man, I had to like, you know ... hit the sack really, really early because you know, when we were chanting .... we were zooming our energies toward Persia, our first spirit energy intercepted sure we made a channeled contact with the former Shah of Iran by accident at first, OMG, when we realized we could make this psycho-babble stuff actually work, we began squealing with delight ...... like a giggling group of over-developed cheerleaders wearing modified private school uniforms that would violate the dress code of any educational institution now matter how liberal. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCMftp2bdJA

Then we channeled some more, tweaking the operating freq and got in a fast mental chat with the always misunderstood late Ayatollah Khomeini and true to form he cut the contact off yelling Death To The Infidel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxUsv1SdrZY

We eventually obtained a good solid contact with current President Ahmadinejad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kPkENskJRY

That's when we all leaped and cried out for joy followed by blank-faced, jaw-dropping disbelief because we knew our message of world peace had been received at its intended destination. A great sense of calm, and bewilderment came over the crowd, in a somewhat post-orgasmic way.

With that, we ceremoniously extinguished our peace candles one by one into a large pot of simulated blood ... signifying the blood of all those "little men" that have been held back and worked to death in the name of capitalism. In th background, a live local group performed their stylized version of "Lay Down Candles In The Rain" originally done by Melanie Safka.

Here is a link to some music video of the touching live performance on the steps of "The Ledge" ... pay particular attention to the costume of the lead singer. Very appropriate for an aviation forum I'd say. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APOpLpH0DLI

I sure hope that the highly esteemed President Ahmadinejad sends me a QSL card to verify the mental contact ... especially in these times of low sunspot numbers and poor propagation. I was able to work King Hussein of Jordan on 20 meters about 15 years ago, but the weasel never returned the QSL card.
---------- ADS -----------

Check Pilot
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: International Day of Climate Action

Post by Check Pilot »

OFD

I too sympathize with your dilemmas in the daily life of a professional demonstrator. As an example it is becoming very important to get out to demonstrate against the proposed introduction of nuclear power plants in Alberta. I hope you can make it out here to help out in protesting this dastardly plan of robbing the average Albertan of his petrochemical heritage by introducing some kind of energy production that isn't based in the land of milk, honey and bitumen.

It's time we get together in marvelous harmony to commiserate our mutual disgust of those evil capitalist dogs that continue to plague our society, hopefully in a huge loving peace-in for support for our poor downtrodden workers that have to slavishly work for those evil money grubbing CEO's.

In the mean time, our future on this planet is limited anyway because the next crisis to deal with is the reactivation of the Large Hadron Collider or LHC that is going to make black holes that will swell up and reduce us all to a tiny speck of dust of infinitesimal size.

There's a very alarming article here: http://blogs.discovery.com/space_disco/ ... -beam.html

I thought our last group of dissenters must have not done a good job of sabotaging the superconducting magnets to permanently disable this latest threat to humanity. And just when I thought that the EMF from the power lines battle was about to be won to prevent our power Companies from building those ugly things above ground instead of burying those 500Kv behemoths.

For us OFD, we must continue our protests. BTW, how come I haven't heard much about us cooking the planet with our CO2 emissions lately. Our kindred brethern Algore and Suzi have fallen strangely silent as of late. Have you tried to "tweet" either of them lately?

With togetherness,
Your brother in the union hall,
Check Pilot

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

Check pilot,
I'll be swinging through YEG tomorrow. I'll bring you some soft coal, and some arctic oil fresh out of the Tundra (and flown south in a 37-200 advanced!) to keep yourself warm until them nuckeler fellers can power up Alberta.
JC

Check Pilot
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Check Pilot »

:rolleyes:

Thank you jc. I'll be sure to be there.
:prayer:
CP

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

GET YOUR BANJOS OUT BOYZ !
Alabama judge not guilty of sexual abuse of inmatesOctober 26, 2009 5:23 p.m. EDT

Former Judge Herman Thomas was accused of spanking inmates on their bare bottoms.STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Ex-Judge Herman Thomas acquitted of of sexual abuse, attempted sodomy, assault
Judge says he brought inmates to his office to mentor them
Lawyer: "He was trying to get them to do right, to be productive citizens"

RELATED TOPICS
Alabama
Judicial Ethics
(CNN) -- A former Alabama judge accused of checking male inmates out of jail and forcing them to engage in sexual activity was found not guilty Monday on charges of sexual abuse, attempted sodomy and assault, his lawyer said.

Attorney Robert Clark said former Judge Herman Thomas was found not guilty on several charges and the judge in the case granted a directed verdict of acquittal on all the other counts.

The Mobile County district attorney did not immediately return CNN calls for comment.

Thomas, 48, denied wrongdoing. Clark said on October 20 that the judge was trying to mentor the inmates and did not assault them.

The judge does not deny bringing the inmates into his office, Clark said last week. "He was mentoring them. He was trying to get them to do right, to be productive citizens."

Thomas cried after the verdicts were read, Clark said Monday.

"He hugged me and he hugged his wife. And he had a courtroom full of supporters. It all worked out in the end," the attorney said.

One of the alleged victims testified October 19 that he doesn't know why his semen was found on the carpet of a small room used as an office by Thomas, according to The Mobile Press-Register newspaper. But he did say Thomas spanked him with a belt on several occasions, the newspaper reported, and that the paddlings took place inside a jury room, in the small office and at a Mobile, Alabama, fraternity house.

Another man testified that after he was charged with kidnapping and robbery in 2002, Thomas visited him in jail and urged the man to let Thomas decide the case instead of a jury, according to the Press-Register. Thomas convicted him of lesser charges, he testified, and sentenced him to a 90-day boot camp. He said Thomas also beat him with a belt on his bare buttocks about a dozen times at the courthouse, the newspaper reported. Neither man was identified.

"All of them [the alleged victims] were given preferential treatment at some point," Nicki Patterson, chief assistant district attorney for Mobile County, said earlier this month. "And ultimately, when some of them refused to continue participating [in the activities], they were given what I would view as excessive sentences. But certainly while the inmates were involved with the activities we allege, the state would say, it was extremely lenient sentences."

Clark said his client's next hurdle is the Alabama State Bar.

"They suspended him back in March because he got indicted. And we're fighting to give him his law license back," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/26/ala ... ref=rss_us

JakeYYZ
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JakeYYZ »

Nobody ever says much from the Survivalist Militia point of view. Where is the Survivalist Media? Is there a main stream Survivalist Media? Are they more or less biased than the main stream media?

What about funding? Is inadequate arts funding for Survivalist culture spending the root cause of the negative aspects of Survivalism? Do Survivalists feel unappreciated by the society at large.

I am concerned, a concerned citizen. I am outraged. Mayor Miller and his Toronto cronies should address spending initiatives for Survivalist cultural groups, let alone the inadequate number of programs for Survivalist senior citizens.

It is time that we, your money and my spending, take a stand against things we oppose.

Send me your money.

I care.

I, JakeYYZ, typed this with my progressive left hand.

The Old Fogducker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Check Pilot:

Even though it is harvest time, I must have been living under a bushel basket lately. I just had no idea of how serious this Large Hadron Collider thingy is, and its impact on our Mother Earth, ...... of "Gaia" as She is known among those in tune with Her vibrations as she tries to shake off her rapists that would gouge out her minerals and cut her forests.

I'll have to do some reading, and then post my thoughts, which will be based upon how good it makes me feel, rather than any substantial understanding of fact.

And here I thought all I had to worry about is the hackneyed newspaper headline ... "Cell Phones Cause Brain Cancer" ... but they never seem to be able to make the connection between ionizing and non-ionizing radiation ... but hell ... who cares? As long as it has the word radiation in it, that's all we need to see to go into action. We're so dedicated to moving the public consciousness forward that we would protest the invention of the light bulb if Al Gore told us it radiated!

As far as taking up the cause for "dirty energy" rather than building nuke plants which would be susceptible to "The China Syndrome," I see your point ... "Dirty Coal" is indeed far, far better. This is the kind of protest a "Pro-Pro" (professional protestor) as we are called in the business, can really sink his & her teeth into.

One of the people I think we can get for this series of demonstrations, or "Educational Awareness Sessions" as we prefer call them, we could even get "The Grand Dame of Protest," Jane Fonda to attend. Although somewhat old and long in the tooth, she still has lots of stock left over from her days of being known as "Hanoi Jane" and is tough to top for obtaining TV news and press coverage. From the way she strides across the stage to take the podium in what you know will be a ball-bustin' kick to the gonads lecture on the evils of nuke power, but also delivers a double-whammy spiel against the Capitalist Pigs that put their investment money into the companies that build reactors, and the pure greed-driven CEOs that manage these huge companies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_dkf3yKByg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y00MCZdKVo0

You should warned though, finding younger Hollywood actors to protest a reactor is difficult these days, what with Man-Made Global Warming being the most recent fad driven hot-button item, ...... that "hot cause de celeb of the decade" has sucked up the ready supply of big names. They prefer to be identified with what is perceived to be a more "trendy" thing than nuke power to rear up and carry on in mock shock and indignation. You must be prepared to do some searching for the right spokesperson.

Take for example Sean Penn ... a heart throb and object of fantasy among the "Sex In The City" female demographic that always draws big numbers in the ratings ... well, Sean is all hung up on singing the praises of Hugo Chavez and is too busy for other things.

Daryl Hanna is so deep into the Man-Made Climate Change thing, or as she calls it "Climate Chaos" there's just no getting on her dance card. She's also wildly against coal, and so wouldn't be available.

So you see what I mean ... its tough times out there, and its a radical idiot spokesperson's market ... they name their price & cause. The idea of customer service just isn't there anymore.

I could go on and on with a who's who of Hollywood Activists but why reinvent the wheel ... which, after all was just a tool in the arsenal of the ruling class which led to the subjugation and exploitation of the working class.

An internet link to the concise list of Hollywood Actors that into "socially progressive causes" is available for the uninitiated.
As a sample of the information available, here is a copy & paste of the lovable Mike Farrell from the TV show, Mash:

Activism bio (charitable work)
Mike Farrell is the co-chair of Human Rights Watch California, chair of Death Penalty Focus , spokesperson for Concern America and Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. He has been a passionate human rights advocate for over twenty years, opposing the death penalty and speaking publicly about the plight of refugees and the problems with U.S. policies in Central America. In addition, Mike is the President of Family Motion Pictures whose mission is to make motion pictures that encourage parents to bring their children with them to the theatre. Mr. Farrell is also a vegetarian and animal rights supporter.

Here's the link ... http://www.moviesthatmatter.com/mm/ActorsQuickList.cfm

Check Pilot, I'll be getting back to you before too long with more information. Right now I have to get the VW Micro-Bus into the shop in preparation for a trip to San Francisco.

Oh, you might enjoy seeing my VW ... its the one at the very start of the video at this link, and is only about 6 seconds in duration, so watch closely or you'll miss my pride & joy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f7SmgWOqls

The Old Fogducker

Last edited by The Old Fogducker on Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Your rapier wit and undoubted scientific credentials notwithstanding, this is from an organization called NASA and a bunch of climatologists with the letters PHD after their name. It would be interesting to watch your reaction if one of them pretended to know more about flying your airplane than you did.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/featur ... rming.html

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

Gud dam Foggy, that's pure poetry. :prayer:

On the other hand, I have some real estate located at 50N 60W that will be for sale shortly. This is a long term investment, since it is currently at 1000' ASL, but I figure within a decade it will become prime seashore property, suitable for pineapple farms or beachfront condos.

BibleMonkey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by BibleMonkey »

Rockie wrote:Your rapier wit and undoubted scientific credentials notwithstanding, this is from an organization called NASA and a bunch of climatologists with the letters PHD after their name. It would be interesting to watch your reaction if one of them pretended to know more about flying your airplane than you did.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/featur ... rming.html
Most of the claims/theorizing in that article are in dispute by other humans with pHD after their names-e.g: the sea level is not rising faster now than at other times when there was less atmospheric carbon; the C02 model has no predictive value, and is missing unknown feedbacks since there is substantial missing heat ( e.g
http://www.ncasi.org/publications/Detail.aspx?id=3230 ) ,
the climate has warmed at more than twice the current rate previously when atmospheric carbon was not the driver, you cannot ascribe "natural variability" as the factor to explain divergence from the predicted Co2 induced heat retention , while simultaneously claiming that the Co2 is trumping natural variability .

You should look into how the last ice age ended ( and placed us into our current interglacial [the Holocene]. Nothing to do with atmospheric carbon.
Working for NASA does not automatically make everything you say right.

Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

The only thing that jumped out on this whole thread was "professional demonstrator".

Say what you will...but it's a recession...and a job is a job! :wink:

So...burn the atmosphere, cut down the trees, rape the oceans...people gotta eat.

I'll be in Tibet if anyone needs me...at least until December 21st, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKbEI8pDz0A

:)

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

I'll be in Tibet if anyone needs me...
You working on this over there BD? :)
http://lucis.net/stuff/clarke/9billion_clarke.html

Check Pilot
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Check Pilot »

And for OFD,

Nice to have known you.

I mentioned the Large Hadron Collider before.

Our aviation careers are over!!!!!!!! Our lives are over. The world ends now.

Here's what's about to happen to humanity. I'm outraged at these billionaire corporate tycoons soon. I'll protest this. I'm outraged. Long live the working brothers and sisters in the union hall. Those capitalist American dogs have had their day.

http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.html

See ya in the next life buddy if isn't all over for all of us in the universe.

Take cover and remain outraged. We should have paid way more taxes to protect us from this atrocity. I'll be out there protesting in the morning and I hope you will be too as one of the "Pro-Pro's".

I remain outraged.

Spokes
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Spokes »

That video is hilarious. Thanks for that.

Wahunga!
The Old Fogducker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Check Pilot:

Sorry, but I just can't bring myself to protest that collider thing you're so up in arms about.

I checked into it, and the organizers must be really new at this ... can you freakin' believe it? ... They never allocated any money for Professional Protestors!

I hate these cheap clowns who think they are activists. Who in these times could think they can pay off the media with just a few snorts of coke to move public opinion progressively forward. Doing a protest demonstration on the cheap hasn't worked in almost 30 years. 'Ya just gotta have a sold, hard core of people on the ground that know what they are doing when it comes to causing a ruckus that will obtain TV news time.

Now that this news clip from the recent G-20 Conference ... here's what can happen when you send an amateur to do a pro's job ... Organizers think that staging a fake arrest will galvanize support for their cause ... wrong! After you've watched the video, just read the comments and you'll see how it was called a fake right from the get-go.

Amateurs ... I beer fart in their general direction .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1IF5ldlUN8

So Check Pilot, I sincerely wish you well over there in France, but unless I'm paid ... or there will be a hell of a party with lots of "babes of easy virtue" then I'm just not really interested any more. Perhaps I'm just getting a little worn out after almost 45 years on the front lines battling riot police or worse .... the Ohio National Guard at Kent State ... cue the background music ... Crosby, Stills & Nash - Ohio http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xos7-vEWsxg

You may have forgotten the halcyon days when every long-haired, unshaven, stinky,pop-concert attending freak that followed Timothy Leary's advice and had "Tuned in, turn on, and drop out" used to think "The Revolution" was just around the corner ... try some Buffalo Springfield on for size .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g9PiEgYYUU

Check Pilot
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Check Pilot »

OFD,

Working-class people are a massive social force when we can clearly see our interests and organize. We make the products that are the economy. We have power in numbers. All the social gains we have enjoyed: public education, social security, and women’s rights - have been won through struggle. None of this was given away by the two-party Liberal/Conservative corporate system out of the goodness of their hearts.

In the last election, the leaders of our unions and community organizations told us to vote for the NDP. The unions alone spent over $4 million supporting the NDP. We need to demand that unions cut off their funding to candidates. What did the money do? The answer is Nothing! This money should instead be used for both organizing drives and to field working-class candidates against pro-war, pro-corporate Liberals and Conservatives.

Meetings of union activists, community organizers, Green Party members, peace campaigners, and socialists should discuss strategies to fight against this deepening crisis. Struggle will need to be coordinated and organized in the streets, campuses, and workplaces to fight for jobs, education, and health care. At the same time, we need to run candidates who are not tied in any way to the three parties or big business. We need candidates who will unequivocally fight for our interests.

In the next while, the rift between the corporate nature of the New Democratic Party and the needs of workers will widen into sizable cracks. This is a real opportunity to build an alternative to the Liberals and Conservatives.

Now is the time to step up the debate on why working people need their own political party. A new party should refuse to take corporate money and should stand for the interests of working people. It should be democratically controlled by those who build it, so it will fight for our interests. We would argue that a new workers' party should fight against capitalism and adopt a socialist program to achieve the fundamental change we need.

It is now time for all workers to arise and be outraged at the corporate greed of those evil capitalist profiteer dogs.

In addition, capitalism's rapid and unwavering destruction of the environment demonstrates its complete incapacity to address the present and future needs of humanity and its supreme commitment to short-term profits for the few.

Only the creation of a socialist planned economy, owned and democratically controlled by working people and consumers, can solve the environmental crisis and sustainably harness technology to meet global human needs.

So OFD, I hope your mind has been changed from your stolid and blinkered point of view. Sooner or later you too will embrace and finally succumb to the vagaries of the left.

Return to “The Water Cooler”