Editing for Profanity.

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Editing for Profanity.

Post by North Shore »

Saw this in the Jazz Forum:
Tony, old c**k. If by "eastern" you are referring to the Maritimes well in order to avoid the YYZ rat f**k, ya gotta go through YHZ. That's cold comfort and more to the point, not on for those in YYG,YQM,YFC and YSJ. It's either WJ or your younger brother JAZZ for those folks...

Last edited by Widow on Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
profanity **'d
I always thought that the expression 'old cock' was more of an english-ism along the lines of 'old chap,' than an expression of profanity?

In any case, does that mean that cock-a-doodle-doo and pussy willow are now out, too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUZ_3AKox8w
---------- ADS -----------

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
paydaymayday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Editing for Profanity.

Post by paydaymayday »

Zipper Magnus wrote:'old cock' iz dis expressian frum Jamaica meanin stewpid man nah
LOL WUT
n725075089_288918_2774.jpg
n725075089_288918_2774.jpg (36.96 KiB) Viewed 1664 times

Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

Cocktail

Cockroach

Cocker Spaniel

Cockapoo

Cockatiel

Cockney

Cocking

:smt040

Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

*sigh*

I don't know the relationship between old fella and tony. As zipper pointed out, "old cock" can be both a familiar term or a derogatory one. The f* word needed to be edited, so the other was too.

Don't be such a pussy ;)

Former Advocate for Floatplane Safety
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

"I don't know the relationship between old fella and tony......."

Good communicators we buckos are. He made the big maple leaf.... I didn't. He drives the B767....... I can only dream of the A340-500(got bigger engines and 2 more of'em. It's a male thing , you probably wouldn't understand widow). We quaff quality nectar and have bragging rights. Mine is to own 2 acres in Domaine de la Romanee Conti, Tony is a Right Bank Bordeaux guy, probably got his eye on Chateau Petrus, might even settle for Le Pin - Pomerol. We both agree neither will happen!!!!!! We both hate the "down under, critter named, jammy, high octane, low price quaffing clone of the Syrah. He has a thing for Argentine Malbec.. me.... why bother with that when good Cotes du Rhone is available

He doesn't want to fly past 60 - I am at 60 and don't fly, we are even. He gets a h---- on about all things WJ but no movement down that area for me on WJ. He defends his airline with vigour as do the westjetters defend their kind. I usually put in a good word for both - age does that to a person.

I don't think he visits this particular area for profound commentary - and that is probably a good thing.

Ya there, Tony old c----

:wink: :wink:

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

apparently 'snarky' is a problem now too, even without profanity. Widow, as much as I'm a fan of yours, it's becoming a little too much, IMO. We're all big boys and girls on this forum, many of us been here for years and years under one handle or another, and know the game. It's just the internet(or interweb, if you prefer), after all.

PS, I happen to know that 'idiot captain', that was mentioned in another thread, and he thought it was quite entertaining coming from a 2-post wonder.

Drinking outside the box.
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

As long as nobody goes off half cocked.......couldn't help it.

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

Doc wrote:As long as nobody goes off half cocked.......couldn't help it.
Clock Sucker you beat me to it. Clock Sucker, being someone who wastes my time.

Too much? Only one way to find out.

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

Four1oh wrote:apparently 'snarky' is a problem now too, even without profanity. Widow, as much as I'm a fan of yours, it's becoming a little too much, IMO. We're all big boys and girls on this forum, many of us been here for years and years under one handle or another, and know the game. It's just the internet(or interweb, if you prefer), after all.
The thread you are talking about was something more than snarky; I used the word for want of something better. The tone of the thread was a problem and was pulled by someone other than me. I cleaned it so it could be returned to service, so to speak.

Refer to lil's post here for reasons why threads will be pulled/edited.

Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Driving Rain »

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

Widow wrote:
Four1oh wrote:apparently 'snarky' is a problem now too, even without profanity. Widow, as much as I'm a fan of yours, it's becoming a little too much, IMO. We're all big boys and girls on this forum, many of us been here for years and years under one handle or another, and know the game. It's just the internet(or interweb, if you prefer), after all.
The thread you are talking about was something more than snarky; I used the word for want of something better. The tone of the thread was a problem and was pulled by someone other than me. I cleaned it so it could be returned to service, so to speak.

Refer to lil's post here for reasons why threads will be pulled/edited.
OK, fine, I can accept that since i didn't see what was posted prior to it being pulled. However, as an experienced forum denizen of dozens of different forums for the last, oh, 12 years or so, can I make a wee suggestion? Instead of the disappearing thread trick, why not lock the thread, keep it visible while you decide what to do with it, then unlock it when the appropriate changes are made? That way we all see it, it doesn't just cease to exist with no idea when or where it'll surface again. It'll lower the frustration level of all posters who are involved in the thread, not to mention that if people can see what's so offensive, they'll learn what not to say next time, rather than trying to guess what was so offensive.
Let's face it. Avcanada has always been raw, probably the toughest Canadian aviation forum I've seen, but if you ignore the crap, there's a lot of really good stuff here, better than anywhere else, and that's why so many of us keep coming back. The inconsistent over-modding and under-modding lately is going to threaten a good thing, IMO. Be careful how you do things, lest you have a pile of good people go elsewhere.

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

Everyone has got their knickers in a knot around here, I enjoy you guys :)

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

Was that not a constructive idea, Widow?

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

Hi Four1oh,

While I do think your suggestion was constructive, there are reasons why it does not - or should not - always play out that way. Sometimes there are things in a thread which should not be seen, for various reasons, and so a lock would be inappropriate. I do, however, agree completely that if a thread is pulled, a note should be left in it's place explaining ... that said, I have seen several occassions where, after having pulled a thread, a "what happened to" thread pops up while in the process of typing the explanatory post.

Again, and for the record, I did not pull the thread in question - someone with less time did.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Widow wrote:Again, and for the record, I did not pull the thread in question - someone with less time did.
What column do you guys log your mod time under?

:mrgreen:

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

Instructor :wink:

Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

Widow wrote:Instructor :wink:
:lol:

Take my love
Take my land
I don't care
I'm still free
Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

Zipper Magnus wrote:Widow guuurl...qwiit replyn logic to the masses y'na...der eint no pruvin' dem wrong y'ah....

*TzPzzzzzzst!*
Panda is that you? :smt040

Lurch

Take my love
Take my land
I don't care
I'm still free
Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

Widow wrote:Hi Four1oh,

While I do think your suggestion was constructive, there are reasons why it does not - or should not - always play out that way. Sometimes there are things in a thread which should not be seen, for various reasons, and so a lock would be inappropriate. I do, however, agree completely that if a thread is pulled, a note should be left in it's place explaining ... that said, I have seen several occassions where, after having pulled a thread, a "what happened to" thread pops up while in the process of typing the explanatory post.

Again, and for the record, I did not pull the thread in question - someone with less time did.
Fair enough. I said what i had to say. Cheers. :wink:

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by sky's the limit »

Donald wrote: What column do you guys log your mod time under?

:mrgreen:

Hmmm....

Here I've been logging it Single Engine Night cuz I'm always feeling in the dark and one engine cough away from catastrophe.... :rolleyes:

stl

Return to “The Water Cooler”