Citizen Eco-Drive Issues

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Citizen Eco-Drive Issues

Post by azimuthaviation »

Does anyone know how those Citizen Eco-Drive batteries work? I understand theres two batteries? One regular battery and one battery that gets recharged with the solar cell? After 5 or 6 years mine stopped working, will not hold any charge. I think the first battery is dead and the second battery (solar) has no more capacity left. It would make sense that after a while they would need to be changed if thats the case. Has anyone had one of those watches for more than five or so years and has the same problem?
---------- ADS -----------

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Citizen Eco-Drive Issues

Post by skypirate88 »

I got my eco drive close to ten years ago with no problems yet. Perhaps it was a manufacturing flaw

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

You could always buy 10 watches for 10 bucks at the dollar store.

Who needs batteries when you have landfills? :P

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

I've had mine for just a couple of years. It's a Divers 300M. I think it's a sealed unit. No way to get in to change a battery? It'll only die if I leave it in the sock drawer too long.

PT6-114A
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PT6-114A »

I have had mine going on 11 years with out a hiccup. (knock on wood) But I am having trouble with one of the buttons from time to time. I think I remember reading that you had to send it back to them after 4 years to replace the batteries (I never did) but I could be wrong. Its been a good watch.

MUSICMAAN
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MUSICMAAN »

I've had my skyhawk for 14 years, and with all the abuse I've put it through, it hasn't missed a beat the whole time.... on the other hand, my wifey bought me a new eco-drive last year, and it was dead within 6 ,months. Took it down to the local Citizen dealer who promptly sent it away for fixin'.

rotorhead350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rotorhead350 »

Had mine for about 8 years now and not a problem and mine has seen loads of abuse.

rh350

cptn2016
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cptn2016 »

Mine's 3 months old and works great :D

slam525i
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by slam525i »

I have a friend who had an Eco-Drive die on him after about 5 years. There are shops that will replace the "battery" inside and not necessary to return it to Citizen. (It's actually a low-self-discharge capacitor. No guarantees that the shop won't screw up your watch completely and permanently, but it's cheaper.)

(Complete side note: Anyone know where I can get a Navi/SkyHawk Titanium for cheap? My 1st generation "Blue Angels" NaviHawk is starting to die.)

Return to “The Water Cooler”