Occupy "Your City"

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Occupy "Your City"

Post by Doc »

Okay, these people are occupying cities. I get that. They're protesting. I get that. Exactly WHAT THE @#$! ARE THEY PROTESTING? I don't get that? Perhaps I'm the brain dead carp that I'm accused of being? These people in tents? WHY?
---------- ADS -----------

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Occupy "Your City"

Post by North Shore »

Well, the original ones in New York are protesting the boot-f@#king that some Wall Street companies gave to the US economy and taxpayers over the last few years, and all of the rest are out in solidarity.

IS there an occupy K-town?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

North Shore wrote: IS there an occupy K-town?
Maybe if it were July! LOL!

Sheila
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sheila »

I don't get to see the protests but I understand they want to stop the carrying on with business as usual by business people and when the business people didn't lose nothing except their souls! The institutions did fraud, actually.
It's not only wall street protesters. Today I saw on the tv, students were protesting at San Diego or somewhere around there because of tuition hikes. I think I would protest too because I'm bothered by things like why Chrysler Daimler company couldn't survive, that was an amazing company I thought, how come they didn't make it?
Now, I don't trust the actions to get rid of the wheat board here like the farmers will make it on their own in the free market, does that sound true to you guys?

Last edited by Sheila on Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

They are selective with their occupations. :)

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/201 ... hollywood/

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Doc wrote:Exactly WHAT THE @#$! ARE THEY PROTESTING?
They want something for the trillion or so they bailed out the genius financiers with. They want government to work for them like it's supposed to increasing their standard of living and protecting their money. They want change so that they don't have to bail out banks ever again, and they want the people who created the financial mess to begin with gone.

Pretty reasonable if you ask me, but probably futile since nothing will change.

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by azimuthaviation »

Siddley Hawker wrote:They are selective with their occupations. :)

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/201 ... hollywood/
Cause Kim Kardashian and Lady Gaga werent he subjects of tax payer funded bailouts and no one lost their home to Fiddy cents business practices. Yet.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Doc wrote:Okay, these people are occupying cities. I get that. They're protesting. I get that. Exactly WHAT THE @#$! ARE THEY PROTESTING? I don't get that? Perhaps I'm the brain dead carp that I'm accused of being? These people in tents? WHY?
In many cases they dont even know besides it having something to do with the banks...its just the trendy thing to do.

As for the tents, I heard a guy say the other day that only the people with tents are getting laid...what to take from that?

robertsailor1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by robertsailor1 »

I find it refreshing, its been a long time since we've seen some good protests. If there was ever a time and some good reasons it certainly is now.

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

My take is that they're saying they don't like corrupt corporate practices and everything that goes along with that- buying government officials, environmental destruction with the liabilities put on the public, the ability to create money out of thin air, genetically modifying crops to infect other crops so they end up owning a whole species, etc.

The media should be covering this better. I've had to make my opinion from digging for hours into "alternative" media sources.

Hope that clears things up a bit for ya, Doc.

flyinggreasemonkey
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyinggreasemonkey »

They're too lazy to go out and make money so they're trying to force change so they get it for free, if not a lot easier.

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

Cause Kim Kardashian and Lady Gaga werent he subjects of tax payer funded bailouts and no one lost their home to Fiddy cents business practices.
Good point, and one to remember the next time the occupiers raise the subject of income inequality.

FighterPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FighterPilot »

I can't see Occupy Sioux Lookout happening any time soon. However there are some locals camped out sometime on main street, so that's about as close as it's going to get.

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

flyinggreasemonkey wrote:They're too lazy to go out and make money so they're trying to force change so they get it for free, if not a lot easier.
Far from it....but if you look at it, you are already (almost working for free) when Gov't hits you with up to 50% of taxes, you end up working for a lot less then some poorer countries in Europe or S.America. But because any Jo can get a credit card or a loan, it doesn't seem like that.

I agree, the protests are pretty futile until a mass majority of people join in and boycott their Gov't, their MPs, mass wide strikes like in Europe and then maybe, just maybe we'll get somewhere.

Winter is coming, and we all know how well people protest outdoors in -25C ...

Cap'n P8
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cap'n P8 »

I was just in NYC last weekend with the family and we walked past Zucotti on the way to the WTC memorial site. I was expecting to see and hear a lot going on, but there didn't seem to be any action at all, not one single bongo or anything. I guess they were tired.

"Hell, I'll fly up your ass if the money's right!"
Orlando Jones - Say It Isn't So
Expat
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Expat »

I guess some people just got tired of paying for occupying Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya,...and decided it would be cheaper to occupy closer to home. Or just may be that movement was started by immigrants of occupied countries, who decided that they could also occupy some prime real estate. :smt040 :lol:

Success in life is when the cognac that you drink is older than the women you drink it with.
Wilbur
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Wilbur »

It's primarily the usual crowd of professional protesters. Bums with an unlimited capacity for rationalizing that protesting is a legitimate career option with their salaries paid by welfare or EI. True social justice would be cutting them all off since they aren't looking for work. As a tax payer, I'm rather tired of working to pay some clown hair farmer with a face festooned with jewellery to laze about complaining all day. See a barber and harvest the crop, get the rings our your face, and most imporatantly, get a job.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

flyinggreasemonkey wrote:They're too lazy to go out and make money so they're trying to force change so they get it for free, if not a lot easier.
Wilbur wrote:It's primarily the usual crowd of professional protesters. Bums with an unlimited capacity for rationalizing that protesting is a legitimate career option with their salaries paid by welfare or EI. True social justice would be cutting them all off since they aren't looking for work. As a tax payer, I'm rather tired of working to pay some clown hair farmer with a face festooned with jewellery to laze about complaining all day. See a barber and harvest the crop, get the rings our your face, and most imporatantly, get a job.

Didn't take long for the right-wing knee jerkers to come out from under their rocks. Kudos to FGM for getting out of bed at 0700 to post; Wilbur's a little late to the party, rising at noon.

So with the unemployment rate hovering at around 7% in Canada, and 9% in the USA, any bright ideas as to where those jobs are that these people should get, boys?

Also, consider the fact that your standard of living is helped by those unemployed - cos if they all had a job, then the guy flipping burgers at McDonalds, could ask for a large pay raise and get it, because, there'd be no-one on the street to replace him, and then the price of everything goes up...

Lastly, there but for the grace of God go I (and you): http://www.thestar.com/business/article ... finds?bn=1 6 out of 10 of us are about 2 paycheques away from UI, and then welfare...I'd imagine that probably includes one of you...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

North Shore wrote: So with the unemployment rate hovering at around 7% in Canada, and 9% in the USA, any bright ideas as to where those jobs are that these people should get, boys?

Also, consider the fact that your standard of living is helped by those unemployed - cos if they all had a job, then the guy flipping burgers at McDonalds, could ask for a large pay raise and get it, because, there'd be no-one on the street to replace him, and then the price of everything goes up...
The above it really what's at the heart of the issue, though sometimes the people doing the protesting don't articulate it. These aren't people demanding free money, they just are tired of working for nothing. Their tax dollars also aren't going towards helping their situation either. There are indeed lots of jobs available out there, but no living wage type of jobs. Wal Marts and McDonalds really hire three type of workers and take advantage of the fact that there will be a steady supply of them: Young people, retired people and temporary extra staff. The last group are people who have other jobs and are working extra shifts for a few extra bucks to get by - especially when it comes to the holiday season.

One of the ideas people have to get around is that the Government is very limited in terms of its ability to create jobs, and really only has two ways to do it: Public works - construction which really is limited term, and by increasing the size of the government - long term, but generally undesireable in most cases since the only way to pay government workers is by increasing taxes. Jobs are strictly supply and demand. You can't magically create them out of thin air, the government can't, neither can corporations or any individual. As such, giving money to an entity is not a direct lineage to job creation. What's happening that creates the discontent of the people is that all of that so called job creation tax dollars aren't creating jobs - if anything they're doing the opposite. The money is going to prop up failing industry rather than open new markets which will in turn create new jobs.

If the government wants to take a hand in putting people to work it has the ability to do two things. First is fund education, but fund it where its needed. We don't need any more personal fitness majors and political science degree holders. We need doctors, nurses, engineers, and skilled trades people. This is one thing where people themselves are at fault, many of the protesters want jobs, but like they say not everyone gets to be an astronaut. That being said,it would be a help if public education would have prepared these people better in the first place. The second place the government can work through is by helping people move to where there are jobs to put them to work. Munincipal governments are really to fault for this one - anyone who lives in the City of Calgary can tell you that there just isn't anywhere affordable to live primarily due to poor planning, poor transit and absurd run away development sprawl. In my hometown I completely understand where the "occupy" protesters are comming from. The Provincial and municipal governments (who in turn are getting federal tax dollars) are tripping head over heels to let corporations run amok to turn short term profits and put long term problems on the populace when the guys with the money cut and run.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
reality check
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by reality check »

Wilbur wrote:It's primarily the usual crowd of professional protesters. Bums with an unlimited capacity for rationalizing that protesting is a legitimate career option with their salaries paid by welfare or EI. True social justice would be cutting them all off since they aren't looking for work. As a tax payer, I'm rather tired of working to pay some clown hair farmer with a face festooned with jewellery to laze about complaining all day. See a barber and harvest the crop, get the rings our your face, and most imporatantly, get a job.
image001.jpg
image001.jpg (26.67 KiB) Viewed 2558 times

Return to “The Water Cooler”