Car Drive-away's

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Car Drive-away's

Post by Panama Jack »

Read a few years ago about companies that make their business by contracting to have vehicles relocated across the company. You supply the car, and a fee, and they find a driver. Supposedly, works well for the owner and someone who wants to have access to a car for a cross-country drive. Has anybody ever had any personal experience with such an agency?

ie:
Author: Canada
Date: 09-26-03 21:23

I live in New York City and had never really travelled off the East Coast in my life until a month ago, when I flew out to Portland, Oregon. I rented a car for a week, driving up and down the lovely West Coast, costing over $400 for the rental alone. Instead of flying back home, I ventured to contact the Auto Driveaway office in Portland, and they had a car that someone needed driven to Washington, D.C. (the closest to NYC that was currently available), in an attempt to squeeze more out of my quick, budget vacation and see some of the country.

Anyway, if you've never heard of this type of thing, it's not a bad deal. For me, as someone who lives in the city and has no car, it was a treat. I filled out a fairly simple application, gave the office a $350 deposit, and was off. You basically must follow the most direct route to the destination, of course, but I was given what seemed a fairly generous allotment of extra miles to putter around with, as well as a reasonable amount of time. I was given 10 days to get from Portland to Washington, D.C, but even driving only 6-7 hours a day, I got there in only 8 days, staying several nights at hostels. I was able to spend part of several of the days exploring areas I wanted to see. You are not paid, and gas is not included. ...I then picked up my deposit at the NYC office here--very simple. I was worried only about the condition of the rather old car I was driving--a '92 Honda with over 100K miles; most of the cars available are actually quite new. Well, while the exhaust system seemed to deteriorate and grow louder along the way, it made it in fine running condition. The owner was absolutely fine about everything when I dropped it off. ...It was a great little adventure.

The Auto Driveaway company, which seems to be the big one, with a network of many offices, around since the 1950's, has a website, http://www.autodriveaway.com, where if you check on 'Available Cars' shows a list of their offices and current vehicles and destinations available; but contact the individual office for most current. You can also download the application there.

-----
Author: Neifile
Date: 09-27-03 17:43

Hey, I had a similar experience with a drive-away company in Vacouver in 1997 (wow it was that long ago). we signed up in Vancouver and had to srive it to Ottawa Ontario in 10 days. We had to leave about the same amount of deposit and we were alloted a fixed amount of kms (which was more than enough). We ended up getting a brand new van so we were able to camp a few nights and sleep in the van. It was a great and cheap way to get across the country
Basically, I have a car on the west coast that I probably need to have relocated to Ontario.
---------- ADS -----------

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

What kind of timeframe are you thinking re:dates for said relocation? Or do you know yet?

An ex of mine had hers shipped Vancouver to Toronto via rail, I think it cost about $800...but I don't know how that compares to a driveaway service.

While I don't have any firsthand experience with these services, I do know they've been around a long time and are legit, fwiw.

Nordstar
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nordstar »

shipped a van from vancouver to winnipeg on a truck for about $400 last year. I think we looked into such a 'driving' service, but found shipping the vehicle to be the most economical, especially when you take the mileage into account.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

I too had a car shipped. It was from Victoria BC to an exotic northern Ontario locale along highway 11. Roughly $600 from what I remember. A relative of mine set it up, but try with household movers who have all those contacts.

It beats the heck out of driving it.

Return to “The Water Cooler”