Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Australia hiring foreign pilots

Post by FishermanIvan »

willfly4food wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:57 pm
FishermanIvan wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:25 pm Did they say anything about hours required? Is this only for DEC positions, or would they take FOs as well?
I'm looking into this for a friend of mine. When I get the answer, I'll let you know. I think that they are getting desperate if they are paying for the visa application fees. I would guess that if you've got a couple of years in this industry in Canada, they would likely take a look at you..
Appreciate it, thanks. Where are you looking to find this, if you don't mind me asking. Might make some phone calls or emails.
---------- ADS -----------

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

mixturerich wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:58 pm Anyone know how pilot bases are determined, and how easy it is to move around? Because living on the coast with all the surfing and diving would be a hell of a lot different than living in dry, inland Australia.
QLink is actually made up of two merged companies (Sunstate and Eastern Australian), weirdly enough, each with their own union/contract and bases. So when you interview be sure you find out where the vacancies are and which one you choose if living in a certain city is important to you. There are bases all over the place, coastal for all of them I think... Can't remember if they have a Canberra base but I don't think so. Once you get hired into one of them, you would upgrade/base change within that company, and if you go to the other, you'd slide back in seniority, like you're starting over, from what I understand.

Also, QLink pilots (Dash pilots, anyways, not sure about the jets) typically only get 8 days off a month. They don't do very long days (fatigue rules) but as a result need to work 22 days a month to make min block.

Someone earlier was mentioning the pay being way higher than in Canada... look at cost of living in Sydney and you'll see why! :lol: ($17/hr is min wage in Sydney!)

willfly4food
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by willfly4food »

FishermanIvan wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:51 pmAppreciate it, thanks. Where are you looking to find this, if you don't mind me asking. Might make some phone calls or emails.
Couldn't send you a PM for some reason.

Started looking into it myself. I stumbled across another opportunity in the meantime but I figured there must be an Encore or Jazz pilot sick of Prince George overnights and trips to the food bank who might want the info.

I've been getting some info from a Qantas pilot and recruiter that I know.

gonzo21
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gonzo21 »

I can't seem to find the details of this visa for pilots from any official source?? Can anyone who's got some hard info PM me?

AJH
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AJH »

Last edited by AJH on Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

SuperchargedRS wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:31 am
uogla wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:08 pm Hello,

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/ ... s-shortage

Probably looking for expirence pilots with only 2 year visa. Interesting though, I wonder if the US will do somethibg different, like raising wage.

Will this affect Canadian pilots?

Thoughts, comment, confession?

Happy new year!

Luckily in the US the pilot population and unions are strong enough that foreign pilots won't be happening, after all it's hard to try to sell that with the strongest pilot population on earth.

As far as how places the Australia get away with hiring cheap foreign labor vs raising to proper wages, well here's a video, it's not Australia, but governments all work the same. Just a matter of the airlines paying off the right government workers, and the government workers thinking they can get away with it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sNA0-GBuunc
At my ULCC in the US half the new hires are foreigners. I had two in my jumpseat this week on observation flights. The company is sponsoring the visa for them and their family and after one year the company sponsors their green card. Only for Australia, Chile and Singapore. Really makes you wonder why pilot can’t be added to the TN (NAFTA) list. Maybe Air Canada lobbyists.
An Australian pilot was telling me that there’s been a noticeable increase in wages in Australia and they expect to lose 2000 pilots to the US.

AJH
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AJH »

Last edited by AJH on Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Have fun with the Aussie conversion. About as much fun as the easa

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Have fun with the Aussie conversion. About as much fun as the easa

Hysteria
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hysteria »

Stinky wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:52 pm
SuperchargedRS wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:31 am
uogla wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:08 pm Hello,

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/ ... s-shortage

Probably looking for expirence pilots with only 2 year visa. Interesting though, I wonder if the US will do somethibg different, like raising wage.

Will this affect Canadian pilots?

Thoughts, comment, confession?

Happy new year!

Luckily in the US the pilot population and unions are strong enough that foreign pilots won't be happening, after all it's hard to try to sell that with the strongest pilot population on earth.

As far as how places the Australia get away with hiring cheap foreign labor vs raising to proper wages, well here's a video, it's not Australia, but governments all work the same. Just a matter of the airlines paying off the right government workers, and the government workers thinking they can get away with it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sNA0-GBuunc
At my ULCC in the US half the new hires are foreigners. I had two in my jumpseat this week on observation flights. The company is sponsoring the visa for them and their family and after one year the company sponsors their green card. Only for Australia, Chile and Singapore. Really makes you wonder why pilot can’t be added to the TN (NAFTA) list. Maybe Air Canada lobbyists.
An Australian pilot was telling me that there’s been a noticeable increase in wages in Australia and they expect to lose 2000 pilots to the US.
Love to see it. Let's get Canada in the mix..

RB211
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RB211 »

Hysteria wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:07 pm
Aussies get to the US because their free trade agreement includes pilots as a profession for Visas. Unlike Canada.

I wouldn’t expect any such agreement between US & Canada materializing anytime soon.

Hysteria
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hysteria »

RB211 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:36 pm
Hysteria wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:07 pm
Aussies get to the US because their free trade agreement includes pilots as a profession for Visas. Unlike Canada.

I wouldn’t expect any such agreement between US & Canada materializing anytime soon.
I understand. I just hope something changes for Canadians in the future

mmm...bacon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mmm...bacon »

Stinky wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:52 pm

Just a matter of the airlines paying off the right government workers, and the government workers thinking they can get away with it.

[/quote]

Canadian airline lobbyists, and US Union lobbyists, I’m sure. Can’t have those Canadians competing continentallymight drive up/down wages, and we can’t have that!

Smilin' Jack
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Smilin' Jack »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:01 pm Whats the starting pay?
I assume they are hiring DECs?
A First year Bonza FIRST OFFICER makes what a 3rd year Flair CAPTAIN makes.
rigpiggy wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:11 pm Have fun with the Aussie conversion. About as much fun as the easa
No where near. if you have an ATPL, you have to write two exams. 1 Airlaw. 2 IFR. Neither of these are terribly difficult at all. Especially if you are already working in the industry.
You also have to do a ride. No one seems to want to rent simulators to individuals so the only practical way to do this is go and rent a DA40 or something. If that's going to make or break your conversion process then immigrating anywhere isn't for you.

Yes, it's about $9k for a family application. Yes, it's a lot of money. Yes, you'll make it up in a mere matter of months with a higher salary. Yes, it's less than half the cost of US immigration. Yes, it's also a lot more likely to happen than US immigration.

Oh, no more deicing. Ever.

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

Interesting how things have changed there. I remember some time ago reading how poorly paid Aussie pilots were. I guess when they started leaving for other countries, particularly the US, pay had to go up. Wonder if we will ever have the big Canadian pay raise

Smilin' Jack
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Smilin' Jack »

People here are way less likely to go abroad. Free healthcare and all. atxes pay for something afterall. Lots of grumbling, little action.

Michel Myers
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michel Myers »

Smilin' Jack wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:37 pm
rigpiggy wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:11 pm Have fun with the Aussie conversion. About as much fun as the easa
No where near. if you have an ATPL, you have to write two exams. 1 Airlaw. 2 IFR. Neither of these are terribly difficult at all. Especially if you are already working in the industry.
You also have to do a ride. No one seems to want to rent simulators to individuals so the only practical way to do this is go and rent a DA40 or something. If that's going to make or break your conversion process then immigrating anywhere isn't for you.

Yes, it's about $9k for a family application. Yes, it's a lot of money. Yes, you'll make it up in a mere matter of months with a higher salary. Yes, it's less than half the cost of US immigration. Yes, it's also a lot more likely to happen than US immigration.

Again you are incorrect or just lying. About the Bonza thing

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

But deicing is where I make all my block growth lol

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

How much is bonza paying?

Smilin' Jack
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Smilin' Jack »

The Flair crews are currently doing familiarization flights with Bonza now. Do you think that pay scales have not come up? I just talked to one of our trainers and he said that the FO on his flight was making what he was. I trust the Flair guy (3rd year training captain). He doesn't do overtime though. Maybe the Bonza guy does. The Bonza FO is in the ballpark of what a 2nd/3rd year Flair captain makes.

Quick google search says that the range for an FO there is somewhere between $113-144k. First year captains were only making $114k CAD last year. This year, under the new contract it's $150k. What's the difference between $145 and $150 - $200/ pay cheque. That's it.

Again, who cares the exact number. We shouldn't be comparing FO's to Captains anyway. It shouldn't be anywhere near the same salary. See the Southwest pay thread. The difference between an FO under probation and a 3rd year captain is only $2/hour.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”