Direct entry captains at Canadian 705

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: Sulako, North Shore, sky's the limit, sepia

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1415
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:56 am

Re: Direct entry captains at Canadian 705

Post by lownslow »

In early 2019 Jazz was looking at their options to hire DECs and intended to do so. I don’t think you’ll see mainline AC or WJ do it, possibly ever, but it seems everyone else is fair game.
---------- ADS -----------
 
rudder
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2678
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:10 pm

Re: Direct entry captains at Canadian 705

Post by rudder »

lownslow wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:17 am In early 2019 Jazz was looking at their options to hire DECs and intended to do so. I don’t think you’ll see mainline AC or WJ do it, possibly ever, but it seems everyone else is fair game.
Cargojet is still hiring DEC (at least until recently). It happens.
---------- ADS -----------
 
newlygrounded
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:28 pm

Re: Direct entry captains at Canadian 705

Post by newlygrounded »

Mostly Harmless wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:01 am I would be interested to know where you live and what the aviation industry is like there.

To answer your questions:
PeterParker wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:59 am 1: why companies like AC or WJ wouldn’t go out and get the cream of the crop? 2: Is this just a Canadian thing or don’t US majors also not hire DECs?
People with unique skills you will probably never have. If that sounds like I am giving your ego a check, it's because I am.
Lmao died at the irony of the ego check. Last time I checked the US has Alaska, and if we were as good as everyone claims we are we wouldn't have the lowest paid 777 drivers in the world
---------- ADS -----------
 
Last edited by newlygrounded on Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newlygrounded
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:28 pm

Re: Direct entry captains at Canadian 705

Post by newlygrounded »

DanWEC wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:53 am I've been working on this as a side project. After some initial progress, we're getting more than a little stonewalled by the US. I'm fairly certain at this point that there's been a handshake agreement in place at the cabinet level specifically for pilots to prevent fluid movement to the US from Canada despite no official policy either way. I also wouldn't doubt that McKenna has had a hand in reinforcing it.
Thanks for doing what you're doing!
---------- ADS -----------
 
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1082
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:44 am

Re: Direct entry captains at Canadian 705

Post by Eric Janson »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:13 am I am curious as to what happens to Canadian expat pilots who go fly in Asia/Middle East and then lose their jobs there. Do they come back to Canada and fly corporate? Do they retire/start a business outside of aviation? I am considering going the expat route myself in a few years (mainly for the $$) and one worry of mine is what will happen if I am laid off in a foreign country. I would imagine most expat pilots wouldn't want to start their careers over again at AC/WJ as a narrow body FO on flat pay.
Going the Expat route is normally a one -way ticket. Very few will return to start at the bottom.

Most of the Expats I know are currently unemployed and in some cases it means the end of their career.

Expat market won't be coming back to what it was anytime soon either imho - companies have had plenty of time to train their own staff and with flying being at a much lower level than before COVID there is simply no need for Expats.

If you have a stable job in your home country then that is your best option imho.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
User avatar
Ash Ketchum
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:52 am

Re: Direct entry captains at Canadian 705

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Eric Janson wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:13 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:13 am I am curious as to what happens to Canadian expat pilots who go fly in Asia/Middle East and then lose their jobs there. Do they come back to Canada and fly corporate? Do they retire/start a business outside of aviation? I am considering going the expat route myself in a few years (mainly for the $$) and one worry of mine is what will happen if I am laid off in a foreign country. I would imagine most expat pilots wouldn't want to start their careers over again at AC/WJ as a narrow body FO on flat pay.
Going the Expat route is normally a one -way ticket. Very few will return to start at the bottom.

Most of the Expats I know are currently unemployed and in some cases it means the end of their career.

Expat market won't be coming back to what it was anytime soon either imho - companies have had plenty of time to train their own staff and with flying being at a much lower level than before COVID there is simply no need for Expats.

If you have a stable job in your home country then that is your best option imho.
Thanks for the realistic answer - definitely sounds like a big risk these days. Guess I will just need to put up with 4 years of flat pay and stay in Canada.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1082
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:44 am

Re: Direct entry captains at Canadian 705

Post by Eric Janson »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:26 am Thanks for the realistic answer - definitely sounds like a big risk these days. Guess I will just need to put up with 4 years of flat pay and stay in Canada.
I'd just like to add that there's a lot more to being an Expat than getting $$$ - which you mentioned as your motivation.

Yes - you can potentially earn more - however there is no such thing as a free lunch imho.

- Living in a different culture isn't for everyone - and it will be very different than what you may be used to. Seen a lot of people that couldn't adjust - they left within 6 months. Visiting a place is very different than living there.

- One serious incident and you're out. No real protection.

- Your contract can be changed at a moments notice. Don't like it? There's the door.

- Instead of Expat you could use Mercenary or Prostitute - both are a more accurate description imho.

On a personal note - I enjoyed the 8 years I worked in Asia. I was able to make the adjustment.

Had I stayed I would have been laid off in 2020 and it would have been the end of my career - funny how things work out sometimes.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Mostly Harmless
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 363
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:10 am
Location: Betelgeuse

Re: Direct entry captains at Canadian 705

Post by Mostly Harmless »

newlygrounded wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:36 pm Last time I checked the US has Alaska, and if we were as good as everyone claims we are we wouldn't have the lowest paid 777 drivers in the world
Yay Alaska. But I seem unable to draw a line between Alaskan flying and your 777 wages? I am really looking forward to hearing the connection.
Eric Janson wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:16 pm I'd just like to add that there's a lot more to being an Expat than getting $$$ - which you mentioned as your motivation.

Yes - you can potentially earn more - however there is no such thing as a free lunch imho.

- Living in a different culture isn't for everyone - and it will be very different than what you may be used to. Seen a lot of people that couldn't adjust - they left within 6 months. Visiting a place is very different than living there.

- One serious incident and you're out. No real protection.

- Your contract can be changed at a moments notice. Don't like it? There's the door.

- Instead of Expat you could use Mercenary or Prostitute - both are a more accurate description imho.

On a personal note - I enjoyed the 8 years I worked in Asia. I was able to make the adjustment.

Had I stayed I would have been laid off in 2020 and it would have been the end of my career - funny how things work out sometimes.
That is some solid advice.
---------- ADS -----------
 
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 5797
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:48 pm

Re: Direct entry captains at Canadian 705

Post by pelmet »

Your direct path to American Airlines begins at PSA Airlines. We are hiring Direct Entry Captains! Ready to take your seat? Check your qualifications below.

Do you have an ATP Rating?
Do you have 1,000 FAR-121 hours under the ATP requirements or the restricted ATP requirements within the past five years?
Do you have 2,500 hours of total flight time, and of the 2,500 hours: in addition to at least 500 in a multi-engine turbine, either at least 500 as a Pilot in Command or at least 1,000 hours logged as a Second in Command (within the past five years)?
As a Direct Entry Captain at PSA, you can earn up to $152,000 in first year pay and be on a guaranteed path to flow to American. You’ll also have access to the world’s largest network through American’s travel privileges and a comprehensive benefits package.

Take advantage of this opportunity, apply today!

Not yet qualified for Direct Entry Captain? We have a path for you. Visit our website for more information.
---------- ADS -----------
 
dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 539
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 7:38 am

Re: Direct entry captains at Canadian 705

Post by dhc# »

pelmet wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:07 pm Your direct path to American Airlines begins at PSA Airlines. We are hiring Direct Entry Captains! Ready to take your seat? Check your qualifications below.

Do you have an ATP Rating?
Do you have 1,000 FAR-121 hours under the ATP requirements or the restricted ATP requirements within the past five years?
Do you have 2,500 hours of total flight time, and of the 2,500 hours: in addition to at least 500 in a multi-engine turbine, either at least 500 as a Pilot in Command or at least 1,000 hours logged as a Second in Command (within the past five years)?
As a Direct Entry Captain at PSA, you can earn up to $152,000 in first year pay and be on a guaranteed path to flow to American. You’ll also have access to the world’s largest network through American’s travel privileges and a comprehensive benefits package.

Take advantage of this opportunity, apply today!

Not yet qualified for Direct Entry Captain? We have a path for you. Visit our website for more information.
Wow 152k first year DEC at a US regional ? What's the catch :?:
---------- ADS -----------
 
newlygrounded
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:28 pm

Re: Direct entry captains at Canadian 705

Post by newlygrounded »

Mostly Harmless wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:33 am
newlygrounded wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:36 pm Last time I checked the US has Alaska, and if we were as good as everyone claims we are we wouldn't have the lowest paid 777 drivers in the world
Yay Alaska. But I seem unable to draw a line between Alaskan flying and your 777 wages? I am really looking forward to hearing the connection.
Eric Janson wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:16 pm I'd just like to add that there's a lot more to being an Expat than getting $$$ - which you mentioned as your motivation.

Yes - you can potentially earn more - however there is no such thing as a free lunch imho.

- Living in a different culture isn't for everyone - and it will be very different than what you may be used to. Seen a lot of people that couldn't adjust - they left within 6 months. Visiting a place is very different than living there.

- One serious incident and you're out. No real protection.

- Your contract can be changed at a moments notice. Don't like it? There's the door.

- Instead of Expat you could use Mercenary or Prostitute - both are a more accurate description imho.

On a personal note - I enjoyed the 8 years I worked in Asia. I was able to make the adjustment.

Had I stayed I would have been laid off in 2020 and it would have been the end of my career - funny how things work out sometimes.
That is some solid advice.
People constantly say Canada has some magical world class pilots because of “the norf” if rugged terrain and old planes are what sets us apart they have Alaska. If we really were world class we’d probably be paid better you think?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Mostly Harmless
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 363
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:10 am
Location: Betelgeuse

Re: Direct entry captains at Canadian 705

Post by Mostly Harmless »

newlygrounded wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:29 pm People constantly say Canada has some magical world class pilots because of “the norf” if rugged terrain and old planes are what sets us apart they have Alaska. If we really were world class we’d probably be paid better you think?
That would be nice but, your price isn't set by your skill set, it's set by market forces as well the ability to negotiate.

I really think you are misunderstanding my message so I will restate it. Having a type rating does not make you 'cream of the crop'. It means you have a type rating.
---------- ADS -----------
 
smooth
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: YYZ

Re: Direct entry captains at Canadian 705

Post by smooth »

Porter Airlines Direct Entry Captain reopened yesterday, for their Q400 and coming new E195-E2 fleet

https://porter.rivs.com/careers/porterc ... orter.com/
---------- ADS -----------
 
Joe Blow Schmo
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:48 am

Re: Direct entry captains at Canadian 705

Post by Joe Blow Schmo »

What is Porter going to pay their E195 captains?
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
C-GGGQ
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1859
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 12:33 pm

Re: Direct entry captains at Canadian 705

Post by C-GGGQ »

Updated payscales for both types I’m told due out next couple of months. February ish.
---------- ADS -----------
 
FL030
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:10 pm

Re: Direct entry captains at Canadian 705

Post by FL030 »

C-GGGQ wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:22 am Updated payscales for both types I’m told due out next couple of months. February ish.
Then I'll apply then.
---------- ADS -----------
 
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3909
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:33 am
Location: YYC 230 degree radial at about 10 DME

Re: Direct entry captains at Canadian 705

Post by co-joe »

lownslow wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:17 am In early 2019 Jazz was looking at their options to hire DECs and intended to do so. I don’t think you’ll see mainline AC or WJ do it, possibly ever, but it seems everyone else is fair game.
I think AC got to the point where a new hire could have bid DEC on the Max right before they got parked. Seasoned drivers are always skittish about bidding onto a new type there until they see how it will be utilized, which created a huge hole on the left seat list. I think once you get in the door, you realise that the risks of bidding left seat for your first posting there far outweigh the benefits. Flying the aircraft is a small part of passing the command course, knowing company preprocesses inside and out etc takes time. And ACPA can't protect you till you're done probation so why risk it?
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1078
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 11:17 pm

Re: Direct entry captains at Canadian 705

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

co-joe wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:46 am
lownslow wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:17 am In early 2019 Jazz was looking at their options to hire DECs and intended to do so. I don’t think you’ll see mainline AC or WJ do it, possibly ever, but it seems everyone else is fair game.
I think AC got to the point where a new hire could have bid DEC on the Max right before they got parked. Seasoned drivers are always skittish about bidding onto a new type there until they see how it will be utilized, which created a huge hole on the left seat list. I think once you get in the door, you realise that the risks of bidding left seat for your first posting there far outweigh the benefits. Flying the aircraft is a small part of passing the command course, knowing company preprocesses inside and out etc takes time. And ACPA can't protect you till you're done probation so why risk it?
Big risk and bandaid solution to fix starting pay. You might make it left seat, but good luck holding any sort of reasonable schedule while people parachute in above you.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Hangry
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:05 am

Re: Direct entry captains at Canadian 705

Post by Hangry »

Ya. Imagine having to work 16 days for 220k a year.

Just awful.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Cavalier44
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:32 am

Re: Direct entry captains at Canadian 705

Post by Cavalier44 »

    schnitzel2k3 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:16 am
    co-joe wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:46 am
    lownslow wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:17 am In early 2019 Jazz was looking at their options to hire DECs and intended to do so. I don’t think you’ll see mainline AC or WJ do it, possibly ever, but it seems everyone else is fair game.
    I think AC got to the point where a new hire could have bid DEC on the Max right before they got parked. Seasoned drivers are always skittish about bidding onto a new type there until they see how it will be utilized, which created a huge hole on the left seat list. I think once you get in the door, you realise that the risks of bidding left seat for your first posting there far outweigh the benefits. Flying the aircraft is a small part of passing the command course, knowing company preprocesses inside and out etc takes time. And ACPA can't protect you till you're done probation so why risk it?
    Big risk and bandaid solution to fix starting pay. You might make it left seat, but good luck holding any sort of reasonable schedule while people parachute in above you.
    56k/year on first-year flat pay vs. what, ~190k/year for first-year 737 MAX captain? I think I'd suck it up and deal with the crappy schedule :lol:
    ---------- ADS -----------
     
    Post Reply

    Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”