Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

p226
Rank 0
Rank 0

Canadian North Reductions

Post by p226 »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/can ... -1.2900278
Canadian North to make staffing changes due to drop in charters
Canadian North anticipates having to make staffing changes as a result of low oil prices and Alberta oil companies' scaled back demand for charter services.

The airline says there will be workforce adjustments. It would not elaborate whether there will be layoffs, but a letter from the Canadian North president distributed to employees describes the changes.

Steve Hankirk wrote the company is bracing for a “significant loss in revenue for 2015” as a result of the drop in oil prices and “all departments and employee groups will be affected by the erosion in our business.”
I don't think this is the first time that the airline has suffered because of the Oil patch, but they rode it out well last time.
---------- ADS -----------

ThatArmyGuy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Canadian North Reductions

Post by ThatArmyGuy »

Heard around the water cooler that it's 10+ pilots and a bunch more flight attendants being laid off.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Heard 2500 CNRL workers told to go home which is a big chunk of 5T flying.

All you gotta do is punch in MPE in flight aware http://flightaware.com/live/fleet/MPE and what used to be 7-8 flights flying at a time is now 0, maybe 1 or 2 at a time. Hope people aren't affected too harshly by this. I also heard Suncor is laying off 1000 workers.

Any word on Esso? Husky? Shell workers? I haven't heard anything from those companies yet.

I keep hearing that flying into the oil sands won't stop, especially for the higher ups / management / etc. However, flying the rig workers and etc will come to an end until oil recovers.

YYCcrew
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YYCcrew »

Up to 12 pilots and up to 30 Flight Attendants. Bunch of office staff laid off as well. Everyone is cheering for the cheap gas but anyone connected to the Oil & Gas industry is facing tough times. Hopefully this down turn doesn't last too long.

ThatArmyGuy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ThatArmyGuy »

YYCcrew wrote:Everyone is cheering for the cheap gas but anyone connected to the Oil & Gas industry is facing tough times. Hopefully this down turn doesn't last too long.
+1

I inform my family out east that this cheap gas isn't going to only affecting AB. I'd rather have to pay $1 at the pump then 64.4 any day.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

ThatArmyGuy wrote:I inform my family out east that this cheap gas isn't going to only affecting AB. I'd rather have to pay $1 at the pump then 64.4 any day.
Yeah, I only gas up about once a month, so the ten bucks that I'm saving don't help me much. Lower prices could, however, significantly impact my family's incomes. I'd much rather pay the extra ten bucks and know that we aren't going to have issues paying our mortgage.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Any update ?

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

dhc# wrote:Any update ?
As posted above by YYCcrew. That's accurate for the time being and hopefully that's it and we start upgrading and recalling by the end of the year.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

ThatArmyGuy wrote:
YYCcrew wrote:Everyone is cheering for the cheap gas but anyone connected to the Oil & Gas industry is facing tough times. Hopefully this down turn doesn't last too long.
+1

I inform my family out east that this cheap gas isn't going to only affecting AB. I'd rather have to pay $1 at the pump then 64.4 any day.

Not me. As with any situation, a drop of prices means some lose, others will. Decreasing energy prices usually serve as a catalyst to the overall economy.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I'm with PJ.

Don't take it wrong, I never like to see guys laid off.

But what has been happening in the oils sands was not sustainable even at high oil prices. Poor governance tilted everything in our economy toward a boom never ending at all cost and now it's been pissed away... The economy will adjust itself, other industries will benefit.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Other industries will benefit but its a net loss to Canada over all. We're a resource based economy and oil revenues/jobs are a significant part of the national GDP. The gains in other sectors won't make up for the overall loss

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

I'm not sure that you can call an economy that has less than 8% of GDP tied to oil and gas, a "resource-based" economy.

Which isn't to say that that particular industry and province aren't going to get absolutely hammered, but it isn't the only game in town.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

complexintentions wrote:I'm not sure that you can call an economy that has less than 8% of GDP tied to oil and gas, a "resource-based" economy.

Which isn't to say that that particular industry and province aren't going to get absolutely hammered, but it isn't the only game in town.
Natural resources are around 50% of our exports and 15% of our GDP. I'd say that's significant. Oil 17% of that and contributes 18 bil a year to fed gov coffers. I'd call that resource based.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

A little off topic but....reading a several month old Wings magazine article about the potential airline merger, it says that Canadian North has been flying for 80 years. Where would that all come from?

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

I think some journalists/people consider Canadian North the last surviving vestiges of Canadian Pacific/Pacific Western/Canadian Airlines International....hence the 80 year thing.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

plhought wrote:I think some journalists/people consider Canadian North the last surviving vestiges of Canadian Pacific/Pacific Western/Canadian Airlines International....hence the 80 year thing.
Yup, we still operate some CP aircraft and use the "Empress" callsign. In one form or another it's been around that long.

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

I do love that "Empress" callsign.

Although hopefully no-one confuses Air Canada/Trans-Canada's history with R1s use of "Trans-Canada" :wink:

whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

plhought wrote:I do love that "Empress" callsign.

Although hopefully no-one confuses Air Canada/Trans-Canada's history with R1s use of "Trans-Canada" :wink:
The "Trans Canada" call sign was also used by Air Canada Regional prior to becoming Jazz.

palebird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by palebird »

Last surviving. How touching. For how long?

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

palebird wrote:Last surviving. How touching. For how long?
Until we merge with 7f :) Rumors of 5T's demise have been greatly exaggerated, it ain't fun right now but to paraphrase Monty Python "we're not quite dead yet, actually I think we're feeling a bit better"

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”