Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

AC or AT?

Post by garfield »

Hi,

already a few years since I started my career and i'm starting wondering which one of those 2 airlines is the best for a new hire. The first things that matters for me is schedule.

So,
-how many days off per month can you expect in both places? After 10 years what it looks like?
-is it possible to commute with AT (I actualy live in a city desserved by Jazz, 1hr from YUL)?
-how many chances to be affected on long-haul flights with AC?
-pay around 38k first year AC (rouge same thing?), 50k AT is it right? Per diems?
-how many time from the start to upgrade in average? I guess at least 10 years!
-when you travel on your own, what is the discount?

Every coments welcome.

thanx
---------- ADS -----------

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: AC or AT?

Post by Krimson »

Do you mean to go to Jazz now and work your way up to AC? Otherwise the chance to be hired at AC are non-existent right now, and after another 7ish years, very minimal.

DrSpaceman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DrSpaceman »

Lots of commuters at Transat, Jumpseat agreements with pretty much everyone.
You have a much better chance at a job there than AC if you're not already at Jazz...

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

No, I mean direct entry to AC (or rouge), not interested at all in Jazz, i'd rather keep my actual job than going there.

I mean, in the hypothetic case i'm hired in both places, which one is the best.

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

AC is better, but if you haven't been following what has been going on with the Jazz/AC agreement, then you should have a look because, there is almost 0 chance of getting hired off the street to AC right now, until all the poolies are gone, then after that only 20% of AC new hires will be from non-Jazz sources.

bruced007
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bruced007 »

I thought the flow through was 80% jazz and 20% off the street

Krimson wrote:AC is better, but if you haven't been following what has been going on with the Jazz/AC agreement, then you should have a look because, there is almost 0 chance of getting hired off the street to AC right now, until all the poolies are gone, then after that only 20% of AC new hires will be from non-Jazz sources.

Heisenberg666
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Heisenberg666 »

bruced007 wrote:I thought the flow through was 80% jazz and 20% off the street

Krimson wrote:AC is better, but if you haven't been following what has been going on with the Jazz/AC agreement, then you should have a look because, there is almost 0 chance of getting hired off the street to AC right now, until all the poolies are gone, then after that only 20% of AC new hires will be from non-Jazz sources.
It'll be a while before anyone else gets an interview given that they already have a pool.

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

Yes, that is what I said.

No external interviews for the next couple of years, and then after that it is a slim chance. To the OP, if you are not considering Jazz, then you only have one option left of the two.

bruced007
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bruced007 »

Which means it's a 100% flow through from jazz before they start calling people from OTS
Good luck to all. Yeah but AT would be a quicker upgrade I think :rolleyes:
Heisenberg666 wrote:

It'll be a while before anyone else gets an interview given that they already have a pool.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Definitely AC if you don't speak french

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Upgrade timeline at AT?

confuzed
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by confuzed »

av8ts wrote:Definitely AC if you don't speak french
There are quite a lot of pilots at AT that do not speak french.

You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.
DrSpaceman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DrSpaceman »

av8ts wrote:Definitely AC if you don't speak french
While it helps, it's not mandatory.

777LR
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 777LR »

Pilots leave TS for AC/rouge, not the other way around.

Starbuck44
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Starbuck44 »

Regardless of everything, both are excellent gigs and career companies. The real question lies in which one will hire you first and will yield the best lifestyle in the long term. If someone can answer the OP's questions in detail it'd be much appreciated.
garfield wrote:
So,
-how many days off per month can you expect in both places? After 10 years what it looks like?
-is it possible to commute with AT (I actualy live in a city desserved by Jazz, 1hr from YUL)?
-how many chances to be affected on long-haul flights with AC?
-pay around 38k first year AC (rouge same thing?), 50k AT is it right? Per diems?
-how many time from the start to upgrade in average? I guess at least 10 years!
-when you travel on your own, what is the discount?

Every coments welcome.

thanx

termerair
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by termerair »

how many days off per month can you expect in both places? After 10 years what it looks like?
It will depend on the type you're flying. At Transat on the b737 you can expect to work 8-9 days per month during the busy season. Less in the fall and spring. On the A330, in the summer (busy season), you usually get 16-17 days at home.
Upgrade timeline at AT?
It's currently at the 4.5 year mark for the ones who got hired at the very beginning of 2011 (hiring wave). Those are temporary b737 or A310 captain spots that will quickly become permanent positions.

T.

Last edited by termerair on Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scuba_Steve
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Scuba_Steve »

Like most of us, pick the one that calls first... Both are great Gigs, I landed at TS (My French is basic and there are plenty of anglos on the property despite what some say here). Its a great place to be. Many of my friends at AC are similarly happy with their jobs as well....

Cheers

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

termerair wrote: Those are temporary b737 or A310 captain spots.
What is a temporary captain spot?

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

rudder wrote:
termerair wrote: Those are temporary b737 or A310 captain spots.
What is a temporary captain spot?
One that is available for under six months to replace someone on sick leave, on paternity leave etc. If you hold it for six months, it becomes permanent........

Takeoff OK
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Takeoff OK »

777LR wrote:Pilots leave TS for AC/rouge, not the other way around.
Never happens the other way around. Never. :roll:

To the OP:

AC/Splooge is undoubtedly the more stable option long-term, but it is no longer what it once was. I foresee more and more contract concessions (read eating your young) over the next couple of decades to try to preserve DB pension obligations that are ultimately untenable. Coupling that with the inevitable increased and sustained transfer of domestic and short- to medium-haul capacity over to the Splooge operation ensures that making it onto the receiving end of the AC mainline contract will become more and more difficult to achieve. But don't worry; you'll get long-haul eventually...

All that aside: which company is the better place for you, personally, to work at is subjective. Pros and Cons with either. But to be obvious: You should not look here to help make your decision. If you are at the point in your career that you are eligible for either, then I would hope that you also have friends at one or both of AC or TS. Listen to them, not to avcanada.

Curious that you're not including Team Squeal or Scumwing in your choices...

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”