Sky Regional Contracting out work

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

v1ref
Rank 0
Rank 0

Sky Regional Contracting out work

Post by v1ref »

It looks like sky regional is contracting out its dispatch department to air Canada to save money.
come on this seems a little backwards contracting work from a low cost carrier to the highest cost airline in the country
---------- ADS -----------

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Sky Regional Contracting out work

Post by rudder »

AC has provided many other services to SKY in order to incept and sustain the 175 operation so this should come as no surprise. SKY is a shell company. Likely the precursor to the termination of the Q400 YTZ operation and a possible transfer of the 5 SKY Q400's to Jazz. I do not see AC dispatch in the Q400 business.

Takeoff OK
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Takeoff OK »

rudder wrote:AC has provided many other services to SKY in order to incept and sustain the 175 operation so this should come as no surprise. SKY is a shell company. Likely the precursor to the termination of the Q400 YTZ operation and a possible transfer of the 5 SKY Q400's to Jazz. I do not see AC dispatch in the Q400 business.
Pretty much nailed it. Unfortunately for those at Sky, the reality of feeding a beast that cares not a whit about you is going to become more and more painful. Sky owns nothing; not the planes and not the routes. They can and will be shifted around to any number of new AC feeders that pop up over the next decade. Lowest bidder will always win. Rovanescu wants a U.S. regional model of operation, and that is exactly what he is building. Woe to everyone in flight ops.

BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by BingBong »

As nice as it would be to have the island flying back where it belongs...they can keep those pieces of shit. 499 was a POS when we bailed their asses out...the one I DH on last week was a POS....just park them or send them back to the lessor

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

As nice as it would be to have the island flying back where it belongs...they can keep those pieces of shit. 499 was a POS when we bailed their asses out...the one I DH on last week was a POS....just park them or send them back to the lessor
In other words, if we can't have the flying nobody can? Park 5 airplanes that are employing 40+ pilots? That's what you think should happen?

I'm not sure what 499 you're referring to but i don't think Maple has a fin 499.

I guess now that Jazz is paying the lowest starting wage on a DH8 in the business, you guys think they're gonna get a bunch of new airplanes? Or better yet, repossess them from other [cheaper] express feeders? Maple will probably continue to be the most cost-effective option for AC for the foreseeable future. Why they are moving dispatch to AC I don't know, but I wouldn't count on any fleet reduction at SKV.

PROC_HDG

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Looks like transfer of SKY dispatch authority to AC was not necessarily for commercial reasons. Jazz approached to dispatch SKY Q400 operation.

Any SKY staff care to comment? Being the cheapest CPA provider is one thing. Meeting the requirements of an Operating Certificate is another.

Jazz will now be providing basic operational and commercial services for both SKY and GGN. Lucky for AC that Jazz is capable of meeting these obligations on the part of its AC Express counterparts.

airboy1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by airboy1 »

rudder wrote:AC has provided many other services to SKY in order to incept and sustain the 175 operation so this should come as no surprise. SKY is a shell company. Likely the precursor to the termination of the Q400 YTZ operation and a possible transfer of the 5 SKY Q400's to Jazz. I do not see AC dispatch in the Q400 business.
+1

From what I hear YTZ operations are nearing the end, just too expensive. Q400's won't last too long at SKV. Now that Jazz is cheaper to operate, we'll get those Q's for sure. Get ready to be below me in seniority!! Thank god this circus didn't last too long. I really hope none of Sky pilots that gets laid off get hired by AC. Just wouldn't be fair considering they lowered the standard.

Karma is a real prick ain't it? :lol:

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I'm wondering how long this Air Georgian fiasco will last as well. Just about every GGN flight was late on the boards yesterday and a few were cancelled as well. The Air Canada agents are all fed up because they have to face the angry pax.

Let’s Go Brandon
Maxpwr
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Maxpwr »

ROTFLMAO!!!! Yep it's all over. Better make room in your hangars because you finally get your wish to fly 15 Embraers and 5 more Q400's. You guys are just plain bitter. Face it, Sky isn't going anywhere. YTZ operation isn't going anywhere either. The fact that you believe YTZ is nearing the end shows that you have no clue what you're talking about. LOL! Too funny!

ACs goal has been achieved, to reduce their CPA costs across the board. There you have it. That's the end game and it's done. Move on. Let me break the news to you same 5 loudmouthed, dumb as a fence post, haters on here...you are an EMBARRASSMENT to your fellow Jazz pilots. That's right, the fine folks at Jazz that I know are simply ASHAMED OF YOU and your hate spewing tripe here on AvCanada. I just feel it's time you hear the truth from someone who cares about you. So go ahead and hold your head up high in the crew room but just know that it's YOU that are the real pariahs. Good job. To the rest of the 1500 pilots at Jazz, my colleagues and I will not judge you based on these few imbeciles here on AvCanada. We know you folks are some of the finest pilots and people out there working for a highly respected airline. I wish you all good luck in the future.

PS: the YTZ flying along with ALL the regional flying BELONGS to Air Canada. Not Jazz, not Sky. Try and remember that the tail doesn't wag the dog.

SilvrSurfr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SilvrSurfr »

airboy1 wrote:
+1

From what I hear YTZ operations are nearing the end, just too expensive. Q400's won't last too long at SKV. Now that Jazz is cheaper to operate, we'll get those Q's for sure. Get ready to be below me in seniority!! Thank god this circus didn't last too long. I really hope none of Sky pilots that gets laid off get hired by AC. Just wouldn't be fair considering they lowered the standard.

Wow....Just wow!

Speaking of hoping someone doesn't get hired at AC. With an attitude like that I hope you are not on the PML. Not sure what you've heard out there, but attitudes like that are not welcome over here at mainline. At any rate, I would recommend at least stowing that crap during your interview.

Surfr

Art Garfunkel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Art Garfunkel »

Jazz pilots need to look at Halifax, where the true costs are hiding. How many VP's? How many directors? How many general managers? How many $$ fly out the window to shareholders? Blaming other pilots? really? You guys are starting to tarnish your previously good professional image.

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

I really hate to point out the obvious...but
Now that Jazz is cheaper to operate, we'll get those Q's for sure.

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

Maxpwr wrote:ROTFLMAO!!!! Yep it's all over. Better make room in your hangars because you finally get your wish to fly 15 Embraers and 5 more Q400's. You guys are just plain bitter. Face it, Sky isn't going anywhere. YTZ operation isn't going anywhere either. The fact that you believe YTZ is nearing the end shows that you have no clue what you're talking about. LOL! Too funny!

ACs goal has been achieved, to reduce their CPA costs across the board. There you have it. That's the end game and it's done. Move on. Let me break the news to you same 5 loudmouthed, dumb as a fence post, haters on here...you are an EMBARRASSMENT to your fellow Jazz pilots. That's right, the fine folks at Jazz that I know are simply ASHAMED OF YOU and your hate spewing tripe here on AvCanada. I just feel it's time you hear the truth from someone who cares about you. So go ahead and hold your head up high in the crew room but just know that it's YOU that are the real pariahs. Good job. To the rest of the 1500 pilots at Jazz, my colleagues and I will not judge you based on these few imbeciles here on AvCanada. We know you folks are some of the finest pilots and people out there working for a highly respected airline. I wish you all good luck in the future.

PS: the YTZ flying along with ALL the regional flying BELONGS to Air Canada. Not Jazz, not Sky. Try and remember that the tail doesn't wag the dog.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Making regional flying a dick measuring contest about who deserves what flying is the most counter-productive thing that we, as professionals can do. Have some solidarity - nobody went to work for Sky because they wanted to F!ck over the industry. They did it because they needed a job. We all want good jobs and lots of them. Nobody in this business should be wishing other pilots' jobs away and using such slanderous language to talk about their fellow professionals.

PROC_HDG

JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JoeyBarton »

Sky Reg has a CPA anyways, so if they loose the flying they will probably fly elsewhere with the Q's

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

I'm going to suggest, respectfully, that there are several posts on this thread which show a general arrogance to the situation between AC and its CPA "partners".
Perhaps before everyone gets emotional here, do some research and know your facts before you start throwing a stones, or burying your head in the sand.

(For starters, "499" was the fin number applied by Jazz to the SKR machine when Jazz operated it. It is "945" at SKR. Simple fact... and they get more complex from here).

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

(For starters, "499" was the fin number applied by Jazz to the SKR machine when Jazz operated it. It is "945" at SKR. Simple fact... and they get more complex from here).
Thank you for the clarification.

PROC_HDG

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

airboy1 wrote:
+1

How is jazz cheaper to operate? Are you suggesting that pilot salaries are the only operating costs? AC will be at the island for as long as Porter... Who knows how long that will be but porter is pushing 10 years, which I'd say is pretty great.

I work for sky regional, I'm a captain on the embraer. If you would like to discuss working conditions, karma, or why you deserve to work at air canada over any of my fellow co workers, I would be more than happy to meet you face to face. I'll even buy you a beer.

Like i said, I work at sky. The plane I fly is nicer then my last, the money is better, the schedule is about the same, the experience I'm gaining will help me achieve my career goals, I live in the town I've always wanted to, the people I work with are great. Moving from my last airline to sky regional has been positive for me in every way.

Our customer is Air Canada, and from the mouth of their CEO directly to my ear, they are happy and impressed with the service we provide. Sky won't be losing any Q's anytime soon. Unless the level of service they provide air canada drastically changes I suspect you will be hearing more Maple calls on the radio.

As for you airboy, good luck in your career. Be careful what you wish for, many pilots at sky are providers for their families, and as you said "karma is a real prick".

dashx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by dashx »

And AC is interviewing the Sky personnel for dispatcher positions. A few will get in.

From what I have seen (and heard) Skyregional is here to stay.......

But then again what you hear...........

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Back to the original thread topic......

Who is (or will be) dispatching SKY flights? If SKY is going to be subbing out dispatch to either or both AC and Jazz - why? How can a 705 operator with a fleet of 20 aircraft not be capable of dispatching its own aircraft per the requirements of its AOC?

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

rudder wrote:Back to the original thread topic......

Who is (or will be) dispatching SKY flights? If SKY is going to be subbing out dispatch to either or both AC and Jazz - why? How can a 705 operator with a fleet of 20 aircraft not be capable of dispatching its own aircraft per the requirements of its AOC?
Everything I've heard is that AC will be dispatching sky regional flights, likely transition to them this spring or early summer. Rudder, Sky regional is capable of dispatching their own fleet, and have been successfully doing that for a while. Operating flights for Air Canada and having them dispatch us makes good sense and has many operational benefits for Air Canada.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”