What kind of watch do you wear?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: What kind of watch do you wear?

Post by Dockjock »

I like automatic watches because they're amazing little pieces of engineering and history, and really the one piece of jewellery a man can wear without sticking out. A date complication, GMT, and maybe a chronograph and that's it for me (in terms of a pilot watch). The E6B, ELTs and whatnot are to me sort of wannabe-type stuff, Breitling Navitimer aside. The iconic airline watch is the Rolex GMT Master II, love the history and it looks incredible. Other classics like the Omega Speedmaster or the WWII flieger styles are also very cool. Yes the time is on your cellphone but that's not the point of a super cool automatic watch.
---------- ADS -----------

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

FICU wrote:Fantastic reviews on this baby and a bargain at under $101,000 with free shipping!

http://www.amazon.ca/IWC-Portuguese-Men ... brows0a-20
The reviews on Amazon are even better than the watch.

JayVee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JayVee »

I have a Hamilton Khaki Pilot automatic.
While I'm saving for a new band I'm using a Citizen Eco-Drive.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

AuxBatOn wrote:I've never been a fan of the expensive watches. Have a Breitling and it can't keep time..... It's more a collection piece rather than a watch in the proper sense. Certainly not going to use it for flying because of that.

You know you're sposed to have the watch serviced every 5 years or so, or when it starts loosing time.

It's kinda like having a really nice car, never servicing it and complaining about how its unreliable :lol:

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Chris M wrote:I would like a D2 Bravo though.
I kind of want a D2 Bravo as well but it sounds like it's a sports GPS watch that got a minimal software update to do only a couple aviation-ish things. I'd like if I could do a decent amount of VFR navigation with it.

C208
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by C208 »

Love of my Life. Airman Mystery. I'd like to thank Todd Pezer 11 years ago for giving me the drop on Glycine.

I am debating the Airman Royal 17, But Ill wait till the dollar gets a bit better this time.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

#splurge :oops:

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

AuxBatOn wrote:I've never been a fan of the expensive watches. Have a Breitling and it can't keep time..... It's more a collection piece rather than a watch in the proper sense. Certainly not going to use it for flying because of that.
The fake Rolexes you can get in Hong Kong (well, at least the *good* fakes) keep better time than the real ones, too.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

C208 wrote:Love of my Life. Airman Mystery. I'd like to thank Todd Pezer 11 years ago for giving me the drop on Glycine.
+1 for having a 24-hour dial.
-1 for having noon at the bottom of the dial. It's "high noon", and should be at the top. Glycine makes it both ways.

countryman
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by countryman »

Breitling B1 with Co-Pilot, (2004)
Breitling B1 with Co-Pilot. (2004)
Breitling B1 with Co-Pilot. (2004)
image.jpeg (128.53 KiB) Viewed 5617 times

Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dockjock »

AirFrame wrote:
The fake Rolexes you can get in Hong Kong (well, at least the *good* fakes) keep better time than the real ones, too.

This is such a "let me demonstrate my watch knowledge" anecdote, and is not true although it sounds like it could be. Sort of an attempt at reverse snobbery? Many high-end mechanical watches will be a 'certified chronometer'. Rolex and Breitling both qualify and are accurate to within I believe -4/+6 seconds per day. If your Breitling isn't accurate it probably needs service (every 5-7 yrs).

Certified chronometer wiki https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/COSC

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Dockjock wrote:This is such a "let me demonstrate my watch knowledge" anecdote, and is not true although it sounds like it could be. Sort of an attempt at reverse snobbery? Many high-end mechanical watches will be a 'certified chronometer'. Rolex and Breitling both qualify and are accurate to within I believe -4/+6 seconds per day. If your Breitling isn't accurate it probably needs service (every 5-7 yrs).
Possibly true. Just an anecdote told to me by more than one Rolex owner who has owned both real and not-so-real versions.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

if you're going to aspire to a watch, at least pick something with a tiny bit of class. Patek Nautilus, please.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I love mine, but having issues syncing to my iphone.

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

photofly wrote:if you're going to aspire to a watch, at least pick something with a tiny bit of class. Patek Nautilus, please.
Watch snobbery... Who'd a thunk.

NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

Dockjock wrote:
AirFrame wrote:

This is such a "let me demonstrate my watch knowledge" anecdote, and is not true although it sounds like it could be. Sort of an attempt at reverse snobbery? Many high-end mechanical watches will be a 'certified chronometer'. Rolex and Breitling both qualify and are accurate to within I believe -4/+6 seconds per day. If your Breitling isn't accurate it probably needs service (every 5-7 yrs).

Certified chronometer wiki https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/COSC
-4 to +6 seconds a day? My cheap Timex keeps better time than that, and is now on its second battery in 12 years. Service not required - just throw it away and buy a new one. Not as pretty as some, but who notices watches, and why would that be important to you anyway?

Ki-ll
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Ki-ll »

NunavutPA-12 wrote: -4 to +6 seconds a day? My cheap Timex keeps better time than that, and is now on its second battery in 12 years. Service not required - just throw it away and buy a new one. Not as pretty as some, but who notices watches, and why would that be important to you anyway?
Quartz watches keeps time more precisely than a mechanical watch, however making a mechanical watch with mentioned precision is not as easy as you might think, partly that's why they cost so much.

Prodriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Prodriver »

Rolex GMT Master II, works well. Classic watch and I like the dedicated Zulu time hand. The ability to quickly change the hr hand is nice as well.

"I need a time machine"
NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

Ki-ll wrote:
NunavutPA-12 wrote: -4 to +6 seconds a day? My cheap Timex keeps better time than that, and is now on its second battery in 12 years. Service not required - just throw it away and buy a new one. Not as pretty as some, but who notices watches, and why would that be important to you anyway?
Quartz watches keeps time more precisely than a mechanical watch, however making a mechanical watch with mentioned precision is not as easy as you might think, partly that's why they cost so much.
Okay, I get it. REAL pilots wear expensive watches that are difficult to put together and don't keep time very well. Hmmm ....

AirSprint HR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprint HR »

Omega Speedmaster Professional - Silver Snoopy Award

https://www.omegawatches.com/watches/sp ... d/product/
Snoopy.png
Snoopy.png (255.5 KiB) Viewed 4324 times

Last edited by AirSprint HR on Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”