Sky regional

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

dunkafa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Sky regional

Post by dunkafa »

Boreas wrote:The challenge now is to bring the new hires in line with the old pay and pension.
Yes please, ALPA should get on that (10$/hour less than skyreg)
---------- ADS -----------

proper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by proper »

Yup, but Jazz has more guaranteed days off (12). So if you do the math.....the hourly wages at start are almost identical.

proper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by proper »

As in if you worked an extra day or two at Jazz, essentially working the same amount of days as Sky or GGn..you end up making more money at Jazz. Next question?

Art Garfunkel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Art Garfunkel »

Yes, Jazz's starting hourly wage is lower but the total package is larger than Sky's in my opinion. Benefits, scheduling rules, and pension more than make up the difference. Compare a 5 yr Jazz pilot vs a 5 yr Sky pilot and see who is further ahead. Also you can't compare PML's as only Jazz has an official PML. The PML at Sky is a lie. Air Canada should of been more forthright with this to the Sky Regional pilots. (Seneca, Sault college, University degree need only apply)

Besides... we all work for one employer, in my opinion, and all this regional airline stuff is BS!!! Regional pilots are no different from mainline pilots. Just like the guy loading bags, agent boarding passengers, person selling tickets, they don't take a less hourly wage because the airplane says "express" on the side. All BS! Regional Airlines only benefit JR, RP, and JM!.

IMHO

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

Only thing is, I'm not sure that a 5 year SKY pilot will ever exist. Is there such thing as a Sky lifer? The only carrot to work there is relatively quick left seat on a E175, other than that it's a sh$$ show

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Is it true they are losing the Q400s at the end of the year? Not trying to start a rumour but it came from someone who works there!

Let’s Go Brandon
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

SKY opened up with Q400's. Then they became the operator of AC's 175's. And now they are adding 175's (5 so far with more to come). It makes no sense to maintain the infrastructure for 5 Q400's unless that fleet is growing. With the extended CPA at CHR, there is no need for 2 Express Q400 operators.

Enjoy the jets. There will be more coming.

NickyNick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NickyNick »

Does Sky hire anyone with mostly King Air PIC time?

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

NickyNick wrote:Does Sky hire anyone with mostly King Air PIC time?
No, unless you're a girl.

They only hire males with significant open cockpit biplane time. Bonus points for triplane time.

BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by BingBong »

rudder wrote:SKY opened up with Q400's. Then they became the operator of AC's 175's. And now they are adding 175's (5 so far with more to come). It makes no sense to maintain the infrastructure for 5 Q400's unless that fleet is growing. With the extended CPA at CHR, there is no need for 2 Express Q400 operators.

Enjoy the jets. There will be more coming.

Or RJ200 :..( So we better make GGN give them back and stop ruining AC OTP

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

If the Q400s are leaving what and who will replace the YTZ-YUL flights ?

Gravity always wins
Splash
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Splash »

Kosiw wrote:If the Q400s are leaving what and who will replace the YTZ-YUL flights ?
It's likely the Q400s will go to Jazz and they will operate the route,just a guess.

Itwasme
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Itwasme »

Wow, Proper. I'm glad you know so much about every Express carrier. I'm learning so much about sky (my employer) that I'm little worried they keep messing up on my schedule. I'm not entirely sure where all this extra money is coming from in my bank account either. Accounting must really be messing up on my pay. I was reading a post you put up about how we only get 9 SDO's a month and how these facts are facts. Apparently they mess up my schedule every month. I'm glad to here that Jazz is the only company that provides benefits, bonuses and OT. I'll be sure to tell the pilots that came to sky from Jazz, Air Canada, Porter, Flair, cargo jet, Morningstar, over seas airlines how badly they have it now. It's a shame.

After 5 years time at Sky I will most likely have been captain on the E175 for the previous 3-3.5 years if I chose to stay at sky. More likely than not I'll have an interview with AC after being at sky for 2 years and if I get PFO'd I might chose to go over seas with my jet time and make enough money to retire in 10 years. Then come back to Canada and find a nice, laid back, corporate gig making 100,000+ a year just to fill my time. But, you know, Jazz is amazing and there's no other way but jazz. I'm sure in 5 years you'll be better off. We might see each other at mainline making the same amount of money. But you would be better off because you could have been working at jazz for 5 years as a FO. (See, I can make up numbers too)

If AC is where you want to be, then any express carrier will get you there. Yes, some are better than others and yes, some will get you there a little quicker depending on who you talk to. But in the end we will all end up there if that's where you want to be. If you get PFO'd you can always try again, apply for west jet, sun wing, other North American carriers or go overseas. Aviation is on the move right now. The world is your oister. Air Canada is not the only option for a great career. Don't listen to the "propers" of avcanada as they often will make stuff up and lie about the size of their ego and post things they've heard from others as facts with out actually researching. Even if there is a nice laid out excell sheet right infront of there face.

proper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by proper »

Hello "itwasme".
You preach lots of rhetoric for a single post user. Please indulge and correct me with factual numbers not emotions.
And keep in mind chasing jobs and tin is usually a necessity. Stability is what most families want.
Wish you calm skies and happiness friend.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Splash wrote:
Kosiw wrote:If the Q400s are leaving what and who will replace the YTZ-YUL flights ?
It's likely the Q400s will go to Jazz and they will operate the route,just a guess.
That was announced yesterday morning. 5 Q's from SKR will be operated by Jazz by January 2017. The YTZ operation will continue.

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

Rowdy wrote:
Splash wrote:
That was announced yesterday morning. 5 Q's from SKR will be operated by Jazz by January 2017. The YTZ operation will continue.
Thats great. I had heard that AC was pulling the plug on YTZ, glad to hear they're not.

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

-

Last edited by PROC_HDG on Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bruced007
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bruced007 »

Does sky have a flowthrough with AC ? Or is it just luck for those who move over

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

bruced007 wrote:Does sky have a flowthrough with AC ? Or is it just luck for those who move over
It's just a guaranteed interview, none of the Express carriers has a true flow through to AC.

Let’s Go Brandon
whatsitdoingnow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by whatsitdoingnow »

I see Sky has another posting for direct entry captains on the Q. Are they not loosing the Q-400's?

If they are and you get direct entry Captain position, what's the game plan then?

Anyone have the most up to date pay scale for Q-400 Captain pay?

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”