Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Sky_Conqueror
Rank 3
Rank 3

Creating Jumpseat Agreements

Post by Sky_Conqueror »

Greetings All,

I hope all is well and you are all preparing for summer flying finally! I just wanted to post a question out there in regards to Jump seat Agreements to gather more info. I know of a friend's company who is interested in creating jumpseat agreements with certain airlines. I have previously used this privilege myself. But I unfortunately ignore all the facts that one would require to activate such privileges.

For starters, I was told some time ago that such agreement had to be cleared by the Feds. Then, the airlines in which to jumpseat with, required the interested candidate airline to be a scheduled service. Again, I ignore if these are hard facts or not. Could anyone be so kind to try and shed some more light in regards to this? I am aware that Keewatin has such agreements, but are not a scheduled airline anymore but just doing medevacs. Thanks millions and safe flights!

SKy
---------- ADS -----------

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Creating Jumpseat Agreements

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

From past unsuccessful experience (take it for what it's worth), Feds are not required unless you want actual crew Jumpseat privileges which is more complex.

Reciprocal Jumpseat is the typical term AC and WJ use to describe the lowest form of commuter as you generally don't work for the airline and will carry the absolute lowest priority. Generally you are restricted to cabin only and the max number of RCJ travellers are the same as jumpseats available. E.g EMB = 1, 767 = 2 etc.

Knowing someone within the airline (not talking pilots, but actual upper management) is the easiest way to get this done, but if you knew someone at this level you likely wouldn't be posting on here.

Failing that, generally its tit for tat. Scheduled service for the reciprocal jumpseat is likely the only way you'll be seen as a justifiable addition to an already long list of companies.

Good luck.

S.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

I know with at least Jazz and WJ they will take as many jumpseaters as there are empty seats in the back

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

Ironically Express pilots are not allowed this privilege on our own freakin' airlines.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

You are you just pay more for it. You also get a higher priority for that price.

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

Jumpseating is free. Pass travel is definitely not.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

It may be free on some airlines but not WJ, Jazz, AC or PAL

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Jumpseating is free in the U.S on most carriers as there is more sympathy for commuters.

Canada I have yet to Jumpseat for free.

AC used to be 50ish within Canada, I can't recall if that is each way or not. Generally that doesn't extend to Rouge, GGN, EVAS or CMA for routing, just mainline and Jazz.

S.

Mr. 3Green
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mr. 3Green »

Porter has an incredible jumpseat program which happens to be...FREE!! The rest of the industry should take note and follow their lead. RJS users are also treated very well during their stay onboard. A very pleasant expierence, used it often.

Only catch is, contrary to the AC, WJ, TS, Jazz of the world, Porter only accepts 1 jumpseater per flight.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

The cost of jumpseating in Canada has little to nothing to do with the airline. With the exception of WJ's $2.50 for processing, the fees are all airport taxes, groping fees, and airport improvement fees.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

So how can Porter be free if on other airlines you have to pay airport improvement fees?

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Pretty sure they have fees to be covered in the U.S. too. I think the airlines don't worry too much about it down there when it comes to a freeloading commuters.

Mind you if AC and the likes are going to charge fees for pass services, then you can be pretty guaranteed jumpseating ain't ever going to be free.

Kudos to Porter. Hopefully that type of operation can continue to grow in the Canadian airline economy and regulations.

S.

big_sky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by big_sky »

Mr. 3Green wrote:Porter has an incredible jumpseat program which happens to be...FREE!! The rest of the industry should take note and follow their lead. RJS users are also treated very well during their stay onboard. A very pleasant expierence, used it often.

Only catch is, contrary to the AC, WJ, TS, Jazz of the world, Porter only accepts 1 jumpseater per flight.
Porter's jumpseat program is indeed awesome, they even have a great online booking tool which allows you to see if other RJS users have listed themselves on a particular flight. Much easier than sitting on the phone for 30 + min with AC employee call centre.

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

av8ts wrote:So how can Porter be free if on other airlines you have to pay airport improvement fees?
I believe it was negotiated as such with the condition that only 1 jumpseater per flight is allowed.

RFN
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RFN »

Transat is free, just come to the counter with your ID, License and RAIC. That's it.
We would love to have you on board, not least because many of us commute using these agreements and we are anxious to reciprocate!

jd832
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jd832 »

Air Canada doesn't want it to be free. They make it as hard as they can with their made up taxes, security fees, and airport improvement fees or whatever they want to call it. They prefer their crews to live in base and not commute. That's why you don't get benefits until 6 months after you start. It's a way for them to force new crew members to relocate to one of their domiciles that no one can afford to live in.

Why doesn't Porter and Air Transat have the same fees? Because it's all BS.

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

You get passes from the whatever city you live in from day one. Full privileges take 6 months. Being informed is nice. :goodman:

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

How likely is it if you are in uniform to travel up front?

I know traveling in the back is a big gamble using the jumpseat agreements prior to 6 months with the associated seniority.

S.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”