Sunwing captain passed out drunk in cockpit

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

BCnomad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Sunwing captain passed out drunk in cockpit

Post by BCnomad »

All these self righteous Canadian pilots blathering on about how high and mighty they are compared to the rest of the world. As if there has never been a Canadian that has had a few beers or caught behind the wheel of anything. Wake up and smell the coffee boys and girls - your not perfect.

BTW - the TWP has nothing to do with a guy who is an alcoholic or just plane stupid.

Moreover, for all you bitching god like wanna be pilots, there are Canadians working overseas in other countries under various work visas.. But I guess that is ok...
---------- ADS -----------

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

I'd imagine most Canadians flying abroad are there because the positions can't be filled by local pilots. Good point about the drinking though. It's a worldwide problem it seems.

LifeAt90Kts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LifeAt90Kts »

I was under the impression Sunwing had a reciprocal agreement with a euro carrier. Some of their pilots come over here during our busy winter holiday season, some Canadians go over there during their busy summer holiday season. I may be completely wrong as I got that from a buddy who flies for Sunwing, but gets sent to Poland to fly the summers there.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

From what I just learned, this guy was allegedly a Slovakian National on a work permit who was about to fly a Canadian registered aircraft on a FLVC issued by Transport Canada.

Canada is the only industrialized country that allows foreign licensed pilot to fly its commercial aircraft.

Slovakia, the country where this gentleman is allegedly from, does not allow Canadian licensed pilots to fly Slovakian commercial aircraft. No European country does. Nor does the USA, Australia or New Zealand. Canada is unique in that sense.

Yet people at Transport Canada see no problem with that. How does one explain this ?

In fact, just last summer, Transport Canada modified CASS 421.07(2)(j) to legalize issuing FLVCs to Foreign pilots for commercial flying.

Who benefits ? Sunwing.

Last edited by Gilles Hudicourt on Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

LifeAt90Kts wrote:I was under the impression Sunwing had a reciprocal agreement with a euro carrier. Some of their pilots come over here during our busy winter holiday season, some Canadians go over there during their busy summer holiday season. I may be completely wrong as I got that from a buddy who flies for Sunwing, but gets sent to Poland to fly the summers there.
Sunwing pilots go overseas on Wetleases, flying their own Canadian registered aircraft because European Aviation authorities do not allow Canadian pilots to fly European registered aircraft commercially.

This guy was allegedly in Canada on a work permit flying Canadian registered aircraft with a European license.

Foreign pilots should come here to fly their own aircraft on wet-leases, not Canadian registered aircraft.

a380super
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by a380super »

-well wait a minute ...talking about "canadian registered "aircraft:registration is just a number that can be changed overnight... bunch of them have their registration changed during the winter..those "c-registered" aircraft are actually coming from Europe (TVS, Thomson..). So at the end of the day those foreign guys also fly somehow their own aircraft here in canada ....and also give canadian pilots job in winter.

-Good post Bcnomad.

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Sunwing Pilot Arrested

Post by ogopogo »

I am not an airline pilot but.....isn't there a pilot briefing an hour before the flight? Routing, weather, manifest, etc? There is something fishy or missing with this story. The article states the co-pilot "found" the pilot preparing and then slumped over.

Dh8Classic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dh8Classic »

Jimmy2 wrote:He was Captain too. A 37 year old drunk Slovakian can be a jet captain in Canada and I can't get an interview for a regional turboprop job because of all the competition.
I thought he might be an AT guy temporarily on leave after a little dust-up in Scotland. Oh well, back when it mattered more, I wasn't qualified to get an interview at AT because of all the "competition". So basically, the same thing, drunk pilots and a closed shop.

confuzed
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by confuzed »

Dh8Classic wrote:
Jimmy2 wrote:He was Captain too. A 37 year old drunk Slovakian can be a jet captain in Canada and I can't get an interview for a regional turboprop job because of all the competition.
I thought he might be an AT guy temporarily on leave after a little dust-up in Scotland. Oh well, back when it mattered more, I wasn't qualified to get an interview at AT because of all the "competition". So basically, the same thing, drunk pilots and a closed shop.

Really? That is BEST thing you can come up with when the shoe is on the other foot? I see you are still a little bit bitter that AT never called you for a groundschool because of an "apparent" language problem. I think their HR saw past the language problem and saw a bit of an ATTITUDE problem. Wow....unreal.

You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.
Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

a380super wrote:-well wait a minute ...talking about "canadian registered "aircraft:registration is just a number that can be changed overnight... bunch of them have their registration changed during the winter..those "c-registered" aircraft are actually coming from Europe (TVS, Thomson..). So at the end of the day those foreign guys also fly somehow their own aircraft here in canada ....and also give canadian pilots job in winter.

-Good post Bcnomad.
When the aircraft is put on the Canadian register, it changes operator. It is put on Sunwing's Operators Certficate, is controlled and flown under Suwing SOP under CAR 705, using Sunwing's insurance policy.
When it stays Foreign registered (there is an exception) it is a wet lease operated and controlled by the foreign airline under the foreign airlines' OC, the foreign airlines' SOP and the foreign airlines' aviation regulations and insurance.

When Canadian pilots go fly in Europe, they fly Canadian Registred aircraft on wet leases. The Europeans do not allow Canadian licensed pilots to fly European operated aircraft.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

crazyaviator wrote:slovakia,,,, hmmm, All the politically correct leftists ( rockie) out there will be waiting for the first racist, phobic comment to come from those who actually have a brain and care about Canada !!!!!
?

tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

lots of back stabbers out there. "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone".

BCnomad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BCnomad »

Gilles H. Please educate yourself on Canadian pilots working overseas. I know for a fact that that CDN pilots have worked ( and continue) overseas using their CDN lic and flying under the "other" countries registration. It is a simple process. Similar to Canada: The country in question applies to the local CAA and then the CAA approves a validation or a full ATPL license for that holder based on their home license. Be it ICAO,or FAA, or what have you. What you have said is completely false.

Dh8Classic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dh8Classic »

confuzed wrote:
Dh8Classic wrote:

Really? That is BEST thing you can come up with when the shoe is on the other foot? I see you are still a little bit bitter that AT never called you for a groundschool because of an "apparent" language problem. I think their HR saw past the language problem and saw a bit of an ATTITUDE problem. Wow....unreal.
I was lucky, things worked out bigger and better for me than they would have in AT. But, I bet it has not worked out for others so well. Some care, obviously some don't and think you have an "attitude problem" when not qualified due to your cultural background.

Last edited by Dh8Classic on Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

crazyaviator wrote:slovakia,,,, hmmm, All the politically correct leftists ( rockie) out there will be waiting for the first racist, phobic comment to come from those who actually have a brain and care about Canada !!!!!
Good Christ, an individual get removed from the cockpit of a Canadian carrier due suspicion of intoxication as reported by other crew members and it was determined said captain was indeed under the influence. This person put Canadian passengers in a very unsafe situation by his actions and then we see comments as posted above.....
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

viewtopic.php?f=118&t=112475

This is how it's should be.

accountable.

Last edited by Rookie50 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkey
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by monkey »

Alright, honest question. Is it not better to have the foreign pilot flying under our regulations and controlled by a Canadian operator? Is it not better to have the foreign pilot pass Canadian ground schools, ppc, line checks, etc by Canadian pilots ? They are coming one way or another, with wet lease there is much less control, no? I'm assuming reciprocity for Canadian pilots to work in the foreign pilots country.

Dh8Classic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dh8Classic »

I'm sure the EU regs are safe.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Rookie50 wrote:viewtopic.php?f=118&t=112475

accountable.
I asked this question in pelmet's "Spot the drunk contest" thread, but nobody bit, so I'll ask/rephrase it here:

How does the resignation of two top level executives “as a gesture of responsibility” improve anything?
Did they have policies in place that somehow condoned showing up for work under the influence of drugs or alcohol? Did they know when they hired this pilot that he was likely to make a very bad series of choices such as he apparently did? Did they personally screen the pilot on his way into work that day?

Is it not the job of the executives to address problems and come up with solutions to make their companies better, going forward? Stepping down at the first sign of trouble like this doesn’t fix anything, nor does it add up.

If there is need for more people than one drunken (or ill) pilot to be held accountable, I think it’s the job of these very executives, or their delegates, to look at the ground level attitude and protocols that allowed this guy make it all the way to the cockpit in the shape he was in and take appropriate measures to correct them. There had to have been a dozen or more people that should have taken action to stop him, long before he was sitting in the cockpit that morning. I doubt the President Director or Operational Director were among those people present that morning.

Thoughts welcome.

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

GyvAir wrote:
Rookie50 wrote:viewtopic.php?f=118&t=112475

accountable.
I asked this question in pelmet's "Spot the drunk contest" thread, but nobody bit, so I'll ask/rephrase it here:

How does the resignation of two top level executives “as a gesture of responsibility” improve anything?
Did they have policies in place that somehow condoned showing up for work under the influence of drugs or alcohol? Did they know when they hired this pilot that he was likely to make a very bad series of choices such as he apparently did? Did they personally screen the pilot on his way into work that day?

Is it not the job of the executives to address problems and come up with solutions to make their companies better, going forward? Stepping down at the first sign of trouble like this doesn’t fix anything, nor does it add up.

If there is need for more people than one drunken (or ill) pilot to be held accountable, I think it’s the job of these very executives, or their delegates, to look at the ground level attitude and protocols that allowed this guy make it all the way to the cockpit in the shape he was in and take appropriate measures to correct them. There had to have been a dozen or more people that should have taken action to stop him, long before he was sitting in the cockpit that morning. I doubt the President Director or Operational Director were among those people present that morning.

Thoughts welcome.
Honestly don't know. Every situation is different. Simply is refreshing to me to see executives ashamed of an outcome enough to resign. Unheard of here. Instead of accountability, companies place a spin on any bad behaviour. And it's far worse in Canada in this regard. I'm in the investment business, I analyse companies.

And it's no surprise Canada has had both no world class companies, and so many frauds and failures too. Because it's tolerated by cozy boards and protected from competition from mindless governments.
So you end up with arrogant poor service companies like Air Canada and Bell.

Air Canada knows they will get bailed out -- again -- if they ever fail -- again. Why change at the top?

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”