C Series lands at EGLC. Toronto Island loses out. Again.

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

C Series lands at EGLC. Toronto Island loses out. Again.

Post by Gino Under »

CSeries Steep Approach testing at London City started this past week.
Runway 09-27 is 4948 feet (1508 meters) long and 98 feet (30 meters) wide. The aircraft can complete a 180 degree turn after the rollout. Amazing, by any standard.
As a proponent of C Series, it's a shame Porter won't be flying a CYTZ-EGLC anytime soon.
Maybe Air Canada from CYKF to London City? (wink, wink)

https://youtu.be/FW-9MJB1tq0

Gino Under :drinkers:
---------- ADS -----------

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: C Series lands at EGLC. Toronto Island loses out. Again.

Post by photofly »

CYTZ EGLC is 3101nm.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

Max range for the CS100 is 3100nm but the CS300 is 3300nm.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

finger trouble...

Last edited by photofly on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

IFR reserves? Headwinds? Maximum weight for departing CYTZ? What's a reasonable dispatchable range for this aircraft?

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

I don't know what the range IS.
I'm only aware of what the Bombardier advertising propaganda says. It says 3100nm for the CS100 at .78. They've also said the performance has been better than forecast since entry into service. I know they flew the Swiss CS100 from Tinkerbelle (CYMX) to Zurich (LSZH). I've heard the 300 can do Montreal - Rome.
London City has landing weight restrictions inside the CS100s max. landing weight so the 300 is likely to be too heavy for LCY ops.
Route planners could be drooling over this aeroplane as they examine potentially new city pairs and the hub relief it presents. For example, how difficult would it be for Air Canada to offer 100 or 130 seats out of Moncton or Fredericton to Europe with 120 ETOPS using the NAT tracks?
Crazy.

Declan Collier, CEO of the London City Airport, mentions C series is a recent press conference.
https://youtu.be/aEgATRd6yQg
... also
https://youtu.be/YkOSe7gZLPI

Gino :partyman:

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

CYTZ EGLC would be cool though. I could visit my brother - I'm 10 mins from CYTZ and he 's 15 from EGLC.

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

As much as I like the C Series and think it's a great airplane, I've always wondered about the feasibility of operating it out of 5,000ft of extended runway 08-26 at YTZ with 110 or 120 on board and fuel to go to YVR or LAX like Porter had proposed ... but CYTZ - EGLC? WOW! If the C is capable of flights like that, then it's an even more phenomenal airplane than what I thought.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

Well, when you only have to sell 125 seats ... you have a full aeroplane. Beats having to sell 250-350 seats. If Porter decides to take the C series, I suspect it would need an entirely new base of operation anyway and a totally new route structure just for the type.
Developing Barrie might be an option for PD. Oshawa? Kitchener? Hamilton?

Air Canada on the other hand, would likely see a bunch of entirely new city pairings and probably have to seriously reduce regional services.

Either way, as Bombardier said in their early advertising, this aeroplane IS a game changer.

Gino Under

Wayans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Wayans »

Just to point out, after the steep approaches, the CS100 (I repeat, 100 - not 300) then proceeded to fly from EGLC to KJFK. A distance of *drum roll please* 3011NM. The distance between EGLC and CYTZ? 3090NM. Pretty close I'd say.

Here is the press release from Bombardier.

Note that they flew with a "representative payload".

If CYTZ can get the C-Series approved, then Porter will have a potentially very lucrative route.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Not to throw water in the fire but how would the CASM of a full c series compare to a 3/4 full wide body? If that is really close to the same then it would probably have a shot at doing more direct routing.

On a side note I think I saw somewhere about an operator doing a 60 pax all business configuration London City to JFK route with the C-series which could be an interesting model almost going after the old Concorde route type of passengers I'd imagine.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

fish4life wrote:Not to throw water in the fire but how would the CASM of a full c series compare to a 3/4 full wide body? If that is really close to the same then it would probably have a shot at doing more direct routing.

On a side note I think I saw somewhere about an operator doing a 60 pax all business configuration London City to JFK route with the C-series which could be an interesting model almost going after the old Concorde route type of passengers I'd imagine.
British Airways does that with A318s. They stop in Shannon for gas going westbound to JFK though. If the CSeries can do it non-stop, that would be a game changer for that route.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Haven't they just given it up for lack of custom?

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

BA Flight 1 still goes strong between London City and JFK.

Westbound as noted above you stop and get gas in Shannon. Also go through US Preclearance in Shannon.

Only 32 Seats on a 318.

If the C Series could do the flight consistently between London City and JFK westbound without stopping for gas, I wouldn't be surprised with a small C Series order from BA. Or perhaps a competitor service.

Still ain't Concorde though ;)

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

The CS300 won't be licenced for London City. Just the 100 series. Anyone know why?
LCY has very limited ramp space and very strict arrival departure times. I suspect CSeries will see limited operations which could ultimately affect sales. Not necessarily increase sales.
It remains to be seen how BA reacts to C series even though they seem quite interested in the aeroplane.

Gino :partyman:

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

I think even the CS100 will be one of the bigger ones into LCY. It's E170s, Avro RJs and A318s right now, isn't it?

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

MONTREAL, QUEBEC--(Marketwired - Apr 26, 2017) -

Bombardier Commercial Aircraft announced today that Transport Canada and the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) awarded the CS100 aircraft its steep approach certifications. The CS100 aircraft's capability to operate at challenging airports such as London City (LCY) Airport was validated by Bombardier's comprehensive flight test program. Swiss International Air Lines (SWISS) will be the first airline to operate the C Series at LCY Airport.

"The CS100 aircraft steep approach certification process went smoothly as the C Series is the only commercial aircraft specifically designed for operations at challenging airports," said Rob Dewar, Vice President, C Series Aircraft Program, Bombardier Commercial Aircraft. "The C Series has unparalleled capabilities no other aircraft in its category has - it will offer new possibilities for airlines wishing to operate at challenging airports around the world. The CS100 will also double the range that can be flown viably from LCY, opening new routes for airlines and passengers."

"The latest technology in aural and head-up display systems on-board the CS100 aircraft is used by the crew during the approach and landing phases of flight," added François Caza, Vice President, Product Development and Chief Engineer, Bombardier. "To be certified for operations at LCY, we had to show that the aircraft could perform at a greater approach angle, take-off and land on the airport's short runway and meet the local noise requirements. Our crew successfully demonstrated as expected, the CS100 aircraft's capability and maneuverability. The aircraft now joins our Q400 turboprop aircraft, as well as our Challenger 650, Global 5000 and Global 6000 business jets which already access this challenging airport regularly."

"The C Series is a game-changer for the only London airport actually in London, and it's fantastic news that one of the quietest and most fuel efficient commercial jets in its class has been granted regulatory approval. Bombardier's next generation aircraft will unlock new routes which passengers, both business and leisure, will benefit from, with opportunities for non-stop services to destinations including the east coast of the USA, Russia, West Africa and the Middle East," said Declan Collier, CEO of London City Airport. "Following the airport's planned £350 million expansion project we hope the C Series will become a familiar sight at London City Airport and I look forward to welcoming the maiden SWISS C Series flight later in 2017."

Successful validation flights at LCY Airport a few weeks ago, followed by a landmark direct flight from LCY to John F. Kennedy Airport demonstrated the CS100 aircraft's exceptional capabilities. This first direct transatlantic flight by a commercial aircraft from LCY Airport confirms the C Series' superior airfield performance and unparalleled flying autonomy from a short runway.

The CS100 aircraft is the most efficient and economical commercial aircraft. The C Series will allow airlines to viably offer direct intercontinental flights from LCY Airport to both North America as well as the Middle-East in addition to opening numerous new route opportunities within Europe, Russia and Northern Africa, which were not possible with previous-generation aircraft.

With the lowest noise and emissions levels of any commercial aircraft in its class, the C Series aircraft is ideal for urban operations and noise-sensitive airports. The CS100 aircraft has a much lower noise footprint compared to other commercial jets, and provides a better quality environment for London residents as it is the quietest commercial aircraft in production.

Gino

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

fish4life wrote:Not to throw water in the fire but how would the CASM of a full c series compare to a 3/4 full wide body? If that is really close to the same then it would probably have a shot at doing more direct routing.

AIR CANADA'S CS300S COULD ENABLE BROAD NETWORK CHANGES
Air Canada's CS300s could enable broad network changes

10 FEBRUARY, 2017 SOURCE: FLIGHTGLOBAL PRO BY: JON HEMMERDINGER TORONTO
Though Air Canada has described its incoming Bombardier CS300s as replacements for Embraer 190s, a top Air Canada executive has suggested the fleet plan could evolve.

Air Canada president of passenger airlines Benjamin Smith says the new Bombardier aircraft could prove as transformative as Boeing 787s, allowing Air Canada to make broader network changes.

During an interview with FlightGlobal at Toronto Pearson International airport on 9 February, Smith makes clear that Air Canada's plan calls for the CS300 to replace the E190.

"But that's assuming our network is static," he adds.

"This airplane is so good [that] we think it's going to want to go on every route in North America," Smith says of the CS300.

"The economics – it's got CASM rates that are equivalent to much larger airplanes. So it may enable us, or give us the opportunity, to rethink our bank structures, how our network is designed," he adds.

Air Canada has orders for 45 CS300s, with deliveries scheduled for between 2019 and 2022, according to Flight Fleets Analyzer. The 25 E190s scheduled for replacement are only about 10 years old, Fleets Analyzer shows.

"It's kind of like the 787," Smith says of the CSeries.

Air Canada initially ordered 787s as replacements for ageing Boeing 767s and Airbus A330s.

But the 787s proved so efficient on long-haul routes that Air Canada instead used them to launch a major international expansion, Smith says.

Air Canada ended up keeping the A330s in its mainline fleet, and transitioned the 767s to its newly-created low-cost subsidiary Rouge, Smith notes.

Thanks to the 787, Air Canada "rejiggered our entire network," Smith says. "If we can hit a similar home run with the CSeries, that would be amazing."

CSeries would be "perfect" for a route such as Vancouver to Boston, which "stretches the legs of the Airbus narrowbody", Smith says.

Or, Air Canada could potentially deploy CS300s from extreme-eastern Canadian cities to destinations in Europe, or from Vancouver to Hawaii, Smith says.

Smith says Air Canada remains confident Bombardier will meet its delivery schedule, downplaying the possibility that recent delivery delays could stretch into the coming years.

"We don't have a concern about the delivery schedule on the CSeries," Smith says. "We have a long history with Bombardier. We know their leadership extremely well."

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Also while we are on the C-series I wonder if they will make a business jet version of it. Add a belly tank for some serious range and it could probably prove to be a real competitor in that market.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”