Anybody commuting to a US carrier?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

x-wind
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Anybody commuting to a US carrier?

Post by x-wind »

Point Roberts brother. I'm considering it but I'd work in YVR.

I didn't read many of the responses so apologize for any ignorance in the suggestion.
---------- ADS -----------

Richmond454
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Richmond454 »

Thanks for the information Stinky. This really makes my commute a lot easier.

GTF
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GTF »

Richmond454 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:11 pm I'm in the process of doing the same thing as GTF moving from the US to Canada and commuting back into the US to fly for a US carrier. My wife lives in Ottawa and I have a choice between crew bases out of Chicago, Philadelphia, Newark, and Washington DC. I'm trying to figure out the specifics of commuting. Will I be able to commute to work on any airline flying into those cities ie US and Canadian airlines? What are the fees associated? I spoke to a gate agent at YOW and they said I cannot jumpseat at all flying from US to Canada or vice versa. Do the US and Canadian airlines have any agreements that allow me to travel on Canadian airlines while commuting ie YOW to YYZ to ORD?

I've searched everywhere on the internet and this is the first place that even mentions something like this. Thanks for everyone's help.
I've done the commute from YVR-SEA a couple of times now. It's really not bad at all, a Nexus card definitely helps though.

As far as the jumpseat, I know US carriers have different policies than Canadian carriers. I checked in on this, and I think generally, if you are employed by a US carrier, you may occupy the actual jumpseat on international flights, but ONLY on your own metal. Than's how it works with my company anyway. So, if your own airline flies between your city pairs, that may make things easier for you if the flights fill up. Jumpseating on a Canadian carrier has not been easy for me so far. I tried once to get onto Air Canada, but it seems that Air Canada has recently changed how they require you to list for the reciprocal agreement, and my company hasn't kept up with the software on their end. I'm working on sorting that out, but even if it worked, it's limited to a seat in the back, and there are fees, though they aren't much.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”