TSC- A New Age of Aviation

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

TheSocialChameleon
Rank 2
Rank 2

TSC- A New Age of Aviation

Post by TheSocialChameleon »

Yo Waddup, times are changing (yet again). You see it, I see it, a few grumpy old Captains I fly with see it.
It's easy to reminisce on the good old days and hate change. The reality is that cockpits are seeing younger flight crew with less flight time at the 705 stage. The reality is you're going to see 25 yr old Captains flying machines that took you many years to get to.

These things and many more are going to happen regardless if you like it. I've flown with Captains who complain how kids are always on their phones or how they don't know what it was like etc etc. All I have to say to that is you're entitled to your own opinions. But keep it away from the Cockpit.

If you as a relatively low time pilot find yourself sitting in the flight deck and hear these type of conversations. I challenge you to tactfully change topics to keep the CRM going. Sometimes you even have to agree with them on how they're right in order to keep the peace. Try to bring humour into the situation.

I took upon this career to have an interesting lifestyle, flying big airplanes, to sweet layovers. Even you did too at one point.
---------- ADS -----------

Hate me or Like me. Both days I get paid.
Shady McSly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: TSC- A New Age of Aviation

Post by Shady McSly »

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

If you are a relatively low time pilot who will soon be in the left seat of a large, fast airplane full of people, acknowledge that you have a lot to learn and ask the crusty old captain questions instead. You'll learn necessary information you will need and he'll learn too.

You earn the seat by proving that you are ready for it, seniority is just what gives you the opportunity.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Troll alert. *yawn*

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
richardhead
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by richardhead »

Times have not changed that much. I still think that people who start conversations with " Yo wuddup" are really worth listening to.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

TheSocialChameleon wrote:I've flown with Captains who complain how kids are always on their phones or how they don't know what it was like etc etc.
Were you on your phone at that time?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I was wondering the same.
I still think that people who start conversations with " Yo wuddup" are really worth listening to.
Yes, especially if you are into intellectually stimulating conversations.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
TheSocialChameleon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TheSocialChameleon »

Cat Driver wrote:
I was wondering the same.
I still think that people who start conversations with " Yo wuddup" are really worth listening to.
Yes, especially if you are into intellectually stimulating conversations.

Cat this is my 9th year in aviation but new to Avcanada. I've seen a few of your posts. I'd suggest to not expect the worse in people. Also, I can see you've chosen to put a laser focus on my two opening words rather than the overall gist of my post. Which is positive to encourage younger guys to keep the CRM going despite being looked down on. I figure you must have a lot of time in interesting airplanes. If you've ever instructed in any of them you must know there is not just one way to do things. That the young new pilots are eager to learn and can soak up information quickly. I just want to see them be given a chance without a critical eye based on age.

Hate me or Like me. Both days I get paid.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

. Also, I can see you've chosen to put a laser focus on my two opening words rather than the overall gist of my post.
I was not alone in noticing how you started your post.

First impressions will set the tone for your message and for me it looked like an immature or uneducated person starting a conversation, therefore for me the rest of the message was tainted by the opening words.

Yes I have flown a lot of interesting airplanes and yes I instructed in them, for over fifty years.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
JeppsOnFire
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JeppsOnFire »

There is nothing new in aviation. Just the same old things happening to new people.

Everything's amazing right now, and nobody's happy.
- Louis CK
Addicted4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Addicted4life »

As others of have stated. From your opening remarks I got the impression you were not a 9 year veteran of the industry. You sounded like an entitled newbie who thought all us old fogies didn't have a clue anymore. When I started in this industry a wise old crusty bush pilot told me..."you have two eyes, two ears and only one mouth. Consider them tools for learning and use the ratio accordingly. After 30 years in aviation to this day those words serve me well. Personally I loved all the old stories. Especially the ones about dumb stuff not to do.....

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”