Rank 11

Re: Sunwing Q400's?

Post by rudder »

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... 5-2173.htm

(b) Chief Pilot

(i) Qualifications

The Chief Pilot shall have the following qualifications:
(amended 2003/06/01)

(A) hold a valid Airline Transport Pilot Licence (aeroplanes), a valid Instrument Rating appropriate for the group of aeroplane and a type rating for at least one of the types of aeroplanes operated;

(B) have at least 3 years aeroplane experience (commercial operations experience not required) as pilot-in-command:
(amended 1998/03/23)

(I) of an aeroplane referred to in paragraph 705.01(a) of the Canadian Aviation Regulations; and
(amended 1998/03/23)

(II) in the weight group (more or less than 100,000 lbs) and type of operations (domestic / international, cargo / passenger);
(amended 1998/03/23)

(C) be qualified for line flying on one of the types of aeroplanes operated;

(D) demonstrate knowledge to the Minister with respect to the content of the Company Operations Manual, Training Manuals, Standard Operating Procedures, Approved Check Pilot Manual (if applicable), and the provisions of the Regulations and Standards necessary to carry out the duties and responsibilities of the position; and

(E) the chief pilot's personal record in relation to aviation shall not include:
(amended 2003/06/01; no previous version)

(I) any conviction under subsection 7.3(1) of the Aeronautics Act; or

(II) two or more convictions, occurring during separate unrelated events, under the Canadian Aviation Regulations.
---------- ADS -----------

PT6onH20
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PT6onH20 »

Thanks for the CARs link, but he wasn't hired as CP :roll:

I think its more this job:

(2) Qualifications and Responsibilities of Managerial Personnel
(a) Operations Manager

(i) Qualifications

(A) holds or has held the appropriate licence and ratings for which a pilot-in-command is required to hold for one of the aeroplanes operated; or

(B) has acquired not less than 3 years related supervisory experience with an operator of a commercial air service whose flight operations are similar in size and scope; and

(C) demonstrates knowledge to the Minister with respect to the content of the operations manual, the air operator's certificate and operations specifications, the provision of the regulations and standards necessary to carry out the duties and responsibilities to ensure safety.

and who knows how anyone may interpret the language in "similar size and scope"

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

My mistake. Many 705 operators treat the DFO as the ‘Chief Pilot’ not in title but rather to validate the requirement of the AOC. I guess SW does it differently - perhaps the VP Flt Ops.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

rudder wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:25 pm My mistake. Many 705 operators treat the DFO as the ‘Chief Pilot’ not in title but rather to validate the requirement of the AOC. I guess SW does it differently - perhaps the VP Flt Ops.
Our Cheif Pilot is our DFO. Mr Gandhi is the VP of flt ops.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

For the record, 2 of those Q's in YYZ are joining the westjet fleet this year. They are getting painted as we speak.
By year end the total will be at 47.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”