Airlines cancelling service to destinations.

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Airlines cancelling service to destinations.

Post by rookiepilot »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/westjet ... -1.4451007

More cbc quality reporting?

Curious thoughts on this. Several examples it seems.

Is this intentional misleading, and if so, is it ok?

My General Thought: Not enough competition in Canada in many industries. More competition would improve customer service, and be good for Canada, on the whole. Rather than regulation, a healthy competitive environment fixes a lot of these types of issues.

If fairly negotiated ie open skies, Canadians wouldn't be hurt by job losses. Perhaps with easier rights to work in US. probably not happening anytime soon though.
---------- ADS -----------

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Airlines cancelling service to destinations.

Post by confusedalot »

It's hurricane season, things get seriously screwed up. I guess that the westjet 99% performance is not enough in a very complex operation......100% is required even after hurricanes.

I'm all for customer service, but at what point are expectations considered unreasonable? having said that, they could have given him his extra 244 bucks (wow, what a fortune), just to keep the peace.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

confusedalot wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:36 pm It's hurricane season, things get seriously screwed up. I guess that the westjet 99% performance is not enough in a very complex operation......100% is required even after hurricanes.

I'm all for customer service, but at what point are expectations considered unreasonable? having said that, they could have given him his extra 244 bucks (wow, what a fortune), just to keep the peace.
I don't remotely understand this response in context of what occurred. Is lying acceptable corporate behaviour, yes or no?

Let's start there.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

'97 Tercel wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:30 pm Image
Where can I get one of those? :D

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Regulations don't allow airlines to cancel flights just because there aren't enough bookings and get off the hook like nothing happened.

Westjet cancelled the flights because they weren't making money - "commercial reasons" - they are required by the CTA to rebook and compensate affected passengers. Instead they chose to lie about it and avoid both rebooking and compensating.

Open skies will never happen. The US won't allow access to their market for our carriers. Allowing foreign carriers point to point or unlimited 5th freedom in our market would decimate our own industry... look how state subsidized Emirates rolled over Qantas. We are also immediately adjacent to the largest economy in the world and the largest market for air travel - it would be even worse to give that away...

mantogasrsrwy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mantogasrsrwy »

rookiepilot wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:50 am
'97 Tercel wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:30 pm Image
Where can I get one of those? :D

EBAY :smt040

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:05 pm
confusedalot wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:36 pm It's hurricane season, things get seriously screwed up. I guess that the westjet 99% performance is not enough in a very complex operation......100% is required even after hurricanes.

I don't remotely understand this response in context of what occurred. Is lying acceptable corporate behaviour, yes or no?

Let's start there.
I guess you need to see an airport after a hurricane has struck. Normal operations are not restored within minutes. Days are the measure.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

confusedalot wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:33 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:05 pm

Let's start there.
I guess you need to see an airport after a hurricane has struck. Normal operations are not restored within minutes. Days are the measure.
Confused, ,
Did you read the entire article?

Noo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Noo »

Why would they make a lie that was so obvious? Do they think it's hard to find out if an airport is open?

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

All of you win.

Yep, Westjet is concerned about 244 bucks and they are fleecing the average joe for 244 bucks and screwing over their clientele for selfish reasons. And they falsely claim that an airport was closed.

Give your head a shake. I can tell that you have no Caribbean experience.

So to make you happy, Westjet is a fraudulent company. Ya happy?

I do not work for the place, do not have any stock, etc.....

So whip up the conspiracy theories to you hearts content.

I read the entire article.

Noo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Noo »

There's a lot more at stake than $244 (which they did reimburse btw). They would have had to rebook all passengers on another airline.
I read the entire article.
:shock:

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

confusedalot wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:01 pm Yep, Westjet is concerned about 244 bucks and they are fleecing the average joe for 244 bucks and screwing over their clientele for selfish reasons. And they falsely claim that an airport was closed.

Give your head a shake. I can tell that you have no Caribbean experience.

So to make you happy, Westjet is a fraudulent company. Ya happy?
Hurricane was nearly 3 months ago.

Every airline knew they would take a hit this year on sun destinations after the hurricanes, yet these other airlines are managing to run their schedules to this airport.

Screenshot_2017-12-20-09-18-00.png
Screenshot_2017-12-20-09-18-00.png (330.39 KiB) Viewed 3090 times

You are right to an extent about fraud, Westjet leadership is clearly on the record about what drives them, and have a history of illegal business behaviour when it comes to achieving profit.

Arguably their leadership are under more pressure now then ever.

aerodude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aerodude »

altiplano wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:37 am You are right to an extent about fraud, Westjet leadership is clearly on the record about what drives them, and have a history of illegal business behaviour when it comes to achieving profit.

Arguably their leadership are under more pressure now then ever.
Impossible!!! They just posted a warm fuzzy wuzy video on YouTube on how they care.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Cancelling flights because they are not worth the trouble financially would in fact be an exposure to some serious hurt. Sure, management are sharks, but are they that stupid, knowing the consequences?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

They admitted as much when they said their aircraft were more in demand on other routes thus were redeployed.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”