Professionalism

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Professionalism

Post by complexintentions »

"Son, you gotta learn to live with disappointment". I haven't (learned)...
Maybe you just need more practice? :mrgreen:

Believe me, I've had plenty of chances to learn how to deal with disappointment! lol The secret was realizing that I can't really control any outcome, but I can control how I choose to react to them. And those experiences are what make success even sweeter. Don't mistake me for someone who's had an easy ride through life so has no idea of "how hard it is". I'm not gonna bore people with my journey but I can assure you I didn't skip any steps along the way to this point. Hell, I'm not even half-way through and it's just a different set of challenges now - it doesn't get easier!

And I have freely acknowledged elsewhere that "success" in life, no matter how one chooses to define it, does have a very large element of chance in it. I posted this in another thread:

The Dirty Secret About Success - BBC Article

"Very often, the most successful people are moderately talented but very lucky."
Yep!

So, I don't disagree that we don't have as much control over our destiny as we like to think. My comment about "blaming everyone else for their shitty lives" is not aimed at those in genuine misfortune due to circumstances they can't control. That's an entirely different conversation. Rather it is intended for those who feel hard-done by because they haven't yet achieved what they feel they "deserve", the currently popular word for this very-old phenomena being "entitlement".

The fact that there is so much beyond an individual's control is precisely why I have zero patience or time for people who won't take responsibility for the things they CAN control. Like attitude, outlook, and basic things like not looking/acting like a slob but still expecting to be regarded as a "professional".
---------- ADS -----------

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
lyrad6
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lyrad6 »

HansDietrich wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:04 pm
complexintentions wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:52 pm Hahahah! So many unhappy, angry, self-loathing people around. Blaming everyone else but themselves for their shitty lives.

I do believe I have always included in my remarks the words: do or think whatever you want. Just don't act surprised at the outcome. :mrgreen:
Right, except that the OUTCOME is not (only) the result of YOUR own choices. More often then not, factors completely out of your control affect your life. If you haven't learned that by now, then you're one lucky individual; that you are in complete control of every aspect of your life.

There is also something to be said about how you view life in general. You could be one of the lucky few that sees the positives in everything, while others don't have such a sunny outlook on life. The best advice I heard growing up in the old country: "Son, you gotta learn to live with disappointment". I haven't (learned)...
Thanks for getting the PFO Hans! :smt041

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

lyrad6 wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:11 am
Thanks for getting the PFO Hans! :smt041
[/quote]

PFO from whom? Are you trying to imply "Air Canada"? Oh man... Why do I even waste my time on AvCanada?

Das ist mir wurst...
Anon1234
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Anon1234 »

Another straight up cancerous thread. Congratulations to all participants. This whole discussion is a waste of time. It'll be the individual who chooses how to present themselves in public and no amount of ranting and raving anonymously on a forum will change that. A kind/friendly comment or suggestion in private might do the trick but no ones going to respect the opinions of an @$$hole. Now let's all move on to something more productive.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Is it possible to be a professional and an @sshole at the same time Anon1234?

Anon1234
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Anon1234 »

C.W.E. wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:56 pm Is it possible to be a professional and an @sshole at the same time Anon1234?
Of course. Just don’t expect people to positively respond when you try and rouse them to your level of professionalism.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Of course. Just don’t expect people to positively respond when you try and rouse them to your level of professionalism.
I agree, just thought I would ask because I come from an era where being an @sshole would have meant you would have no career.

Of course the description of professionalism can be subjective and may change from generation , which is why I queried you about it.

When I look back at my career it would appear I was a professional or it would not have been so successful.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Like everyone I have met a few you know what's. Fortunately, they are a minority. Unfortunately, they can destroy lives at the stroke of a pen if they are in the right place to do so.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

infiniteregulus wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:38 pm I argue not the listening of music, it was in fact the giant unsightly headphones, mixed with the slugged over, feet in the air composure he was sitting. AND THEN, whilst boarding was underway, proceeded to strut over like he owned the place, to interrupt the busy agent for his non-rev travel. If someone wants to listen to music, absolutely have at er. But at least sit up straight with pride.
I wear my giant unsightly headphones because they are noise cancelling and wearing them during long breaks or when dead heading makes me feel less fatigued when I have operate afterwards.

Would you be happy if my unsightly headphones were puke green coloured? I’ve flown and worked with many aviation professionals that can’t hear shit because little yellow ear plugs don’t look cool/professional.

Are you going to bitch about my yellow Sony Sports Walkman too?

No, I’m not a millennial..... but I can sure see why they get pissed off. Lazy idiots exist in every generation.

PS Lose the comb-over old man.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

bobcaygeon wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:47 am
infiniteregulus wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:38 pm I argue not the listening of music, it was in fact the giant unsightly headphones, mixed with the slugged over, feet in the air composure he was sitting. AND THEN, whilst boarding was underway, proceeded to strut over like he owned the place, to interrupt the busy agent for his non-rev travel. If someone wants to listen to music, absolutely have at er. But at least sit up straight with pride.
I wear my giant unsightly headphones because they are noise cancelling and wearing them during long breaks or when dead heading makes me feel less fatigued when I have operate afterwards.

Would you be happy if my unsightly headphones were puke green coloured? I’ve flown and worked with many aviation professionals that can’t hear shit because little yellow ear plugs don’t look cool/professional.

Are you going to bitch about my yellow Sony Sports Walkman too?

No, I’m not a millennial..... but I can sure see why they get pissed off. Lazy idiots exist in every generation.

PS Lose the comb-over old man.
My gawd man, you're gonna pick apart every individual word without grasping the main topic? If I pick apart your post, you state you'd be "less fatigued", which would imply you are then still operating fatigued. Big no no Mr Not-a-Millenial. I wish I got a picture of the guy, as it would have been immediately self evident to what I'm saying. And as a matter of fact, those headphones WERE a yellow-green, with a skull sticker or something on it, with a half twist double cable wiring, falling upon his right shoulder, etc...... There's only so much description I'm willing to write here without writing a full on graphic novel depicting every minute detail of the scene haha. Point is, it's not any individual item yielding a problem, but the whole at play which painted this unseemly picture, among other things. I could keep going. Take guys looking at their cellphones during a crew briefing. Goes to FAs as well. That's just a huge F U to the captains and so disrespectful. Have a defensive argument for that as well? Unless you're carrying the president's briefcase with the nuclear launch codes in it, put that $h/T away! I'd also argue earplugs ARE definitely professional in nature, and to not wear them is reckless and stupid. Wear and do whatever you want, but at a minimum please go to a quiet corner somewhere, not right in the middle of public view. It's quite understandable the hardships of the job and I get it completely. But just some moderation. Many airlines have policies for this very thing. Heck there's usually policies against eating in public view as well hahaha!

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

infiniteregulus wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:29 amMany airlines have policies for this very thing. Heck there's usually policies against eating in public view as well hahaha!
Canada 3000 FA's were not allowed to eat bananas in public while in uniform.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

WeedPro2000 wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:55 pm
infiniteregulus wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:29 amMany airlines have policies for this very thing. Heck there's usually policies against eating in public view as well hahaha!
Canada 3000 FA's were not allowed to eat bananas in public while in uniform.

Totally understand why

https://youtu.be/UrGw_cOgwa8

flybyyou
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flybyyou »

The guide to being a professional Flight crew:

Let’s all remember this video for old time sakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xHjSA2 ... e=youtu.be

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

flybyyou wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:30 am The guide to being a professional Flight crew:

Well, grasshopper, I'm a little more than midway through my 48 hour layover in Costa Rica, for which (that and the approximately 14 hours of flight time in this 4 day pairing) the company is paying me $7450 (plus whatever I exceed the block time by tomorrow multiplied by my OT hourly rate). I think I'll groom the airplane when required and let you fight over if it is professional or not to do so. I don't wear gloves when I do so, but I don't lick my fingers so I think I'm okay.

And guess what? The awesome breakfast buffet yesterday and today was free! (I love the fried plantains).

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

flybyyou wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:30 am The guide to being a professional Flight crew:

HAHAHAHAHA

I've got nothing against grooming the airplane but THAT man should be fired.

Oh wait......

flybyyou
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flybyyou »

WeedPro2000 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:09 am

Well, grasshopper, I'm a little more than midway through my 48 hour layover in Costa Rica, for which (that and the approximately 14 hours of flight time in this 4 day pairing) the company is paying me $7450 (plus whatever I exceed the block time by tomorrow multiplied by my OT hourly rate). I think I'll groom the airplane when required and let you fight over if it is professional or not to do so. I don't wear gloves when I do so, but I don't lick my fingers so I think I'm okay.

And guess what? The awesome breakfast buffet yesterday and today was free! (I love the fried plantains).
My comment had nothing against WJ pilots, but the fact that management imposes this grooming thing.

hope you felt good bragging about your current situation douchie. now go visit this beautiful country that Costa Rica is, (you can have an awesome breakfast buffet anywhere with your huge salary) instead of jerking off on avcanada, it's just internet ;)

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

My comment had nothing against WJ pilots, but the fact that management imposes this grooming thing.
How can a company demean a pilot by asking them do do some menial task like grooming.

It is just unbelievable that anyone would expect a pilot to do any real work, I wonder how WJ manages to crew their airplanes with that mindset.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

WeedPro2000 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:09 am Well, grasshopper, I'm a little more than midway through my 48 hour layover in Costa Rica, for which (that and the approximately 14 hours of flight time in this 4 day pairing) the company is paying me $7450 (plus whatever I exceed the block time by tomorrow multiplied by my OT hourly rate). I think I'll groom the airplane when required and let you fight over if it is professional or not to do so. I don't wear gloves when I do so, but I don't lick my fingers so I think I'm okay.

So you're the "lowest-paid narrowbody pilots in North America" when it's time to negotiate a contract but when it's time to defend your "professionalism" it's all rainbows and unicorns, is that it? :mrgreen:

Pink Fluffy Unicorns Dancing on Rainbows

If I extrapolate your (I'm sure not cherry-picked) figure, you're making about 50k/month. Wow! :roll:

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”