Swoop hiring foreign scabs

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Swoop hiring foreign scabs

Post by complexintentions »

I think the main takeaway is: they're getting people. The name-calling, threats, and insults are, as expected, completely ineffective.

Nothing personal, just business... :supz:
---------- ADS -----------

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Oxi wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:04 pm Seeing as the current guys starting are; a Cargojet Captain, a Porter pilot, a previous Sunwing/87 instructor whos now Swoop training standards, maybe a Barrick Gold Captain, even Encore's VP of flight ops and some Sky Regional people... they are getting a mix!
That is crazy to see such a mix of experience. I wonder if it's opportunity or location.

My money is not everyone wants to drive into Toronto or Vancouver everyday. Hamilton or Abbotsford are perfect for those wanting to trim down their commute. Vancouver is getting particularly nasty.

S.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Oxi wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:04 pm Seeing as the current guys starting are; a Cargojet Captain, a Porter pilot, a previous Sunwing/87 instructor whos now Swoop training standards, maybe a Barrick Gold Captain, even Encore's VP of flight ops and some Sky Regional people... they are getting a mix!
I am surprised that none of these guys were concerned about the blacklist! Surely they all must be worried that by this point in their careers they will never make it right seat at AC!

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:54 am
I am surprised that none of these guys were concerned about the blacklist! Surely they all must be worried that by this point in their careers they will never make it right seat at AC!
😉

Encore's VP of Flight Ops might be the only one who's making a bold move. Otherwise we have someone tired of flying on the back of the clock, a few upgrading, and someone who likely was laid off.

S.

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

https://pink-shirtday.squarespace.com/what-is-bullying/

I'd love to know what pilots who use terms like "scab" to refer to their coworkers tell their kids about bullying. Perhaps it's time for me to die my pilot shirt pink.
Honey, it's only okay to intimidate someone and call them names if they disagree with your point of view, if they are grown ups and members of a labour union. That's different from what's happening to your friend at school. That's bullying. Taking a person's lunch and physically pushing them around and calling them names like retarded is bullying. Remember, it's only okay to call someone names and shout at them if you're a grown up standing in a line holding signs with words on them like "Unity" or "Rights" or "Fair" on them.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

I can't understand it.
It's all clear to me now...
Now I know why there's a pilot shortage in Canada.
No one wants to work here, except foreigners and members of American pilot unions.
All the other Canadian pilots who've figured that out DON'T WORK HERE.
LMFAO :lol:

apathy's a wonderful thing...

Gino Under

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
nottellin
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nottellin »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:54 am

:D :D :D funny.

But come on, it is a greasy move by Westjet management as they are trying to circumvent a unionized workforce, ....

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

It kind of sounds like people that got rejected by AC and had no other paths to take.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

WeedPro2000 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:23 am Perhaps Gilles could explain how successful Zip and Tango were.
Did I ever advocate for Zip and Tango in any form ?

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Victory wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:32 am It kind of sounds like people that got rejected by AC and had no other paths to take.
That is true. Not everyone is good enough to make the red team!

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Victory wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:32 am It kind of sounds like people that got rejected by AC and had no other paths to take.
Or they are organized union busters, I guess we'll never know.

S.

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

Wow!

Presumably not everyone that makes such comments works for Air Canada, but such arrogant remarks cannot possibly help Air Canada's image, particularly when it could be argued that Air Canada's own low entry pay, compared to U.S carriers, pressures the industry in general. Point being, not everyone wants to or can afford to work at Air Canada, but for many it's a fine choice.

This is the nature of the free market, it's happened before, it will happen again. For instance Westjet at its birth started with substantially lower pay than Canadian and arguably made it difficult for them to compete, Jazz started B scale, Transat started B scale, Sunwing used to bring foreign pilots, Porter started below Jazz pay, Encore and Sky started below Porter and on and on it goes. It's the risk of starting a new operation and supply and demand. Just because one group has a union it cannot expect everyone else to follow their pay structure, but the market will eventually adjust as necessary.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”