Safety and professionalism in the cabin

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

General Brock
Rank 1
Rank 1

Safety and professionalism in the cabin

Post by General Brock »

With the recent event that happened with Southwest, I have noticed some interesting trends with regards to cabin safety. I came across a photo on Facebook that was taken by one of the passengers during the flight. It showed every passenger incorrectly wearing their mask incorrectly. They were only covering their mouth and not their nose.

It's bad enough they don't know how to use the safety equipment in the plane, but they think it's a good idea to take a selfie.

Problems with cabin safety is that the passenger doesn't seem to care about the safety briefings. They don't know to take off their ear phones, or ear buds so they can pay attention to the briefing. They're often reading, texting, playing a game, or something else on their phones not paying attention to the safety briefing which could save their lives one day.

While I was on a flight yesterday, I noticed all these things going on around me during the safety demo. The people next to me were talking, the guy in the seat across from me was on his phone, but what really bothered me, was I heard noises coming from behind me, probably a game on this person's phone. I took a look, and it was a pilot in uniform on his phone.

Southwest was a great example that people don't listen to safety demos, and they should, but airline employees playing on their phones are setting a bad example for all the passengers. I think if you're an employee of any airline, especially in uniform... You should be setting an example on how other passengers should behave on a flight. You're just like everyone else who had heard the demo 100 times, but you're the professional.
---------- ADS -----------

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Safety and professionalism in the cabin

Post by fish4life »

Ever hear of a man named Darwin?

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

I couldn't agree more. A very nasty habit with crew professionalism and public disinterest in the gravity of flying.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

You’re forgetting the primary purposes of a safety demonstration: regulation and liability. As long as they’ve given the briefing, you can’t sue them for not having done so if you are injured or die not following the instructions.

As for the masks? Look at them. They are made by a cost-cutting company who want to save as much weight and money as they can. I doubt many people could get them over both their mouth and nose and form any sort of effective seal.

Plus, if they weren’t mouth breathers before, they probably are in an emergency.

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

Zaibatsu wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:59 am

As for the masks? Look at them. They are made by a cost-cutting company who want to save as much weight and money as they can. I doubt many people could get them over both their mouth and nose and form any sort of effective seal.

Plus, if they weren’t mouth breathers before, they probably are in an emergency.
These masks aren’t really meant to seal over the nose/face, it’s positive flow oxygen and these masks are only supposed to kept on for around 8-12 minutes while the aircraft gets to a lower altitude. There is no need to make them bulkier/heavier.

Safety demos clearly state to cover the nose and mouth, but in today’s society, it’s never their fault.

General Brock
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by General Brock »

You're missing the point of my post... I know I've heard the briefing many times, but as pilots, we always go over our checks and procedures over and over... Demonstrate that behavior in the cabin as well

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”