Does Canadian Airlines request PRIA records from US?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Richmond454
Rank 0
Rank 0

Does Canadian Airlines request PRIA records from US?

Post by Richmond454 »

I'm currently flying for a regional in the US but I'm looking to apply for a job in Canada. I was wondering if Canadian Airlines will want to get my PRIA records from the FAA/ US carriers? Does Canada have a similar system as PRIA (pilot record improvement act)? PRIA in a nutshell is a report on everything you've done in aviation from day 1 private pilot through each and every airline you have ever worked at. The report includes any failed checkride, oral, violations, upgrades at every company you've worked at. It also includes driving records and criminal background as well I believe.

My flight experience is:

500 regional airline hours CL65 type rating mostly CRJ200.
350 light piston airplane
2000 helicopter Blackhawk (US military)

With my experience do you recommend applying to air Canada or should I apply to a regional like Jazz or Sky and pay my dues there until I have more experience. I do have permanent residence and the ability to work in Canada.

Thanks for your help.
---------- ADS -----------

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Does Canadian Airlines request PRIA records from US?

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

My recommendation is to continue to work in the US. Our airlines pay nothing. If you must come to Canada, commute to a job in the States.

Richmond454
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Richmond454 »

Commuting from Canada to US will be difficult because they do not allow jumpseat for international flights. U have to ride in the cabin and that can be difficult sometimes with a lot of oversold flights. If I was flying for Delta it would be worth the hassle but not at a regional. Plus Air Canada pay is competitive with the major US carriers. I'm just exploring my options and would like to be in a country that treats everyone compassionately with human decency.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

You should thoroughly research pay in Canada vs pay in the US, also how long it takes to get to those levels.

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

Where do you want to be in Canada? Come to Canada and fly US, just live near a border city like Buffalo. You could live 20 minutes from the airport while on Canadian soil in a case like that. Your dollar would go far and you’d live like a king.

As far as PRIA records, no I haven’t heard of anyone doing that here. Do you have anything in your history that could be a problem?

Richmond454
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Richmond454 »

I'll do more research into airline pay in Canada but just browsing Airlinepilotcentral it seems Air Canada pays more than enough. I don't have an expensive lifestyle and don't need 300k a year to live comfortably. As for my background the only black marks I have is a speeding ticket 4 years ago and I left my first regional in the middle of training because they closed the base I was scheduled to be base out and put me in another on the opposite side of the country. For a starting FO pay of $35 per hour it wasn't worth the 2 leg commute across the country.

I'm thinking Ottawa because I have family and friends there.

Thanks for providing input on my post.

FL410AV8R
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410AV8R »

You don't mention if you have residency rights or a work permit. Just like the US and most developed countries you can't just show up and work in Canada without the necessary documentation.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Richmond454 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:31 am I'll do more research into airline pay in Canada but just browsing Airlinepilotcentral it seems Air Canada pays more than enough. I don't have an expensive lifestyle and don't need 300k a year to live comfortably. As for my background the only black marks I have is a speeding ticket 4 years ago and I left my first regional in the middle of training because they closed the base I was scheduled to be base out and put me in another on the opposite side of the country. For a starting FO pay of $35 per hour it wasn't worth the 2 leg commute across the country.

I'm thinking Ottawa because I have family and friends there.

Thanks for providing input on my post.
As mentioned in other threads, you'll start out at 54k CAD/year. Significant bumps after year 4, but who knows what will happen by then.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Richmond454 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:17 amI'm just exploring my options and would like to be in a country that treats everyone compassionately with human decency.
Canadians are no better in this regard than anyone else (although they like to flatter themselves that they are, and thanks a lot for feeding into it!). There are equal proportions of bigots and racists and good, kind, and compassionate people (and not so good) on either sides of the 49th parallel. If you really believe one political system is superior to the other, all I can say is that buying into the Canadian stereotype is no different than buying into the American one. Both are just caricatures of reality. Cue the frothing-mouth comments about guns and Trump.

All things being equal, I'd stick to the US 100%. It isn't just about what you're paid, it's what you get to keep. Far more diverse, livable places, better climate, vastly more opportunities, it's just a matter of scale.

I'm Canadian, btw. I guess you could say I'm a "post-national", in Trudeau-speak! :mrgreen:

I don't love or hate either country, but a dispassionate decision between the two would have me taking a job and life in the US, no question. Any decision always involves compromise but the ones to live in Canada will be greater. You just don't know it yet.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

I am of the same view that what exists South of the 49th, we have here as well but not in abundance. Blights in our history books - you bet, let me start with Residence Schools and Catholic Clergy and Christian Brothers abuses all involving kids. The list is endless and I do chuckle at our trumped up Canadian moral superiority that gets raised on occasion. Having said that and getting very close to my 70 yr of living, I personally have a hell of a lot to be thankful for that being pissed about living all those years here as a citizen of this country.

islandguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by islandguy »

I'd be surprised if your rotary wing time gave you enough points on the Air Canada ranking system to get an interview right off the bat, but honestly, it's always worth applying. I'd say chances are you'll spend some time at a regional before getting to Air Canada, so base your salary decisions on that pay ramp up as opposed to Air Canada's pay scale only.

And don't listen to the haters here. Everyone likes to moan about how little pilots make in Canada, but it's still good money over the span of a career, and it sounds like you realize that there's more to life than money.

Hope it works out for you!

Richmond454
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Richmond454 »

Thanks islandguy. Would you recommend staying at my current regional until I get some PIC time then applying to AC or should I make the transition now to a Canadian regional. I read info on AC and it seems like they're getting most of their pilots from their wholly owned regionals.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

Richmond454 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:59 pm Thanks islandguy. Would you recommend staying at my current regional until I get some PIC time then applying to AC or should I make the transition now to a Canadian regional. I read info on AC and it seems like they're getting most of their pilots from their wholly owned regionals.
Just a point of clarification, Air Canada does not at this time own any of the regionals who have a CPA with them.

I fly for Jazz and will answer any questions you may have about them if you send me a PM. I won't recommend a decision one way of the other, that's up to you, but I can at least try to give you a clearer picture of life at Jazz.

Cheers

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

CL-Skadoo! wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:38 am Where do you want to be in Canada? Come to Canada and fly US, just live near a border city like Buffalo. You could live 20 minutes from the airport while on Canadian soil in a case like that. Your dollar would go far and you’d live like a king.

As far as PRIA records, no I haven’t heard of anyone doing that here. Do you have anything in your history that could be a problem?
I think he'd have to pay double tax as a Canadian resident, no?

S.

Richmond454
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Richmond454 »

Skypirate PM sent.

I will not be subject to double taxation if I work in Canada.

radio
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by radio »

Currently work for a US carrier and live in Canada.

To answer your question, I’m positive that PRIA records can only be requested by another US carrier. The request form needs a US faa carrier certificate number.

Commuting gets old fast, some carrier will allow you to jumpseat internationally on your own metal.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

Richmond454 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:11 pm Skypirate PM sent.

I will not be subject to double taxation if I work in Canada.
Hmm, try it again. My inbox isn't showing any new messages

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
snowcone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by snowcone »

I commute from yow to yyz. Lots of flight options between west jet and air canada. Loads are fairly full but it always seems to work out.

While compensation maybe better in the US, if you want to move north...do it. Just do whatever you really want in life.

Air canada is extremely pro military and it is very helpful during the process. I was just a infantry grunt and it helped me out for sure. Our military is getting decimated by west jet and air canada stealing their pilots.

Appy to air canada and west jet and anyone esle you want to and see what happens....all they can say is no!

Best of luck.

P.s. i am jealous of your blackhawk time!

Richmond454
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Richmond454 »

Skypirate. PM sent again. Hopefully it goes through this time.

Snowcone thanks for the message good to hear AC is pro military friendly. Hopefully they are pro US military friendly. I served with a few Canadians when I was overseas it was fun to interact with them. US military are having problems hanging on to pilots as well. The airline industry in the US is draining as many pilots from the military as they can. They are getting pretty desperate cause they are even letting rotor head fly jets. Pretty crazy.

So what is considered competitive for Air Canada and West Jet? I'm referring to hours, education, extra curricular etc. I'm just trying to gather as much information as I can so I can make an informed decision. Thanks

jd832
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jd832 »

I was born and raised in the US. I flew for a large regional carrier. I now live and work in Canada based in YYZ. I love it and life is good. The "American dream" is alive and well here in Canada. You mentioned Ottawa. It's a great city.

Canadian carrier don't ask for PRIA records.

If you work in the US and live in Canada you will be double taxed. But if you live and work in Canada you will not, but by US law you are still required to file US tax returns in combination with Canadian tax returns which is very complicated especially if you have investments. Cross-boarder accountants are expensive.

Inbox me for more information.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”