Advocate claims swoops pricing scheme is illegal in Canada

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/content/ctvnews ... 03574.html
---------- ADS -----------

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Passenger rights advocate launches complaint against new low-cost airline

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Gabor trying to justify his existence once again. Nothing to see here.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

The CTA says the airlines have to accept the baggage if it's reasonable, not that they have to do it for free. Why didn't he file this complaint against Flair too?

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Diadem wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:41 pm The CTA says the airlines have to accept the baggage if it's reasonable, not that they have to do it for free. Why didn't he file this complaint against Flair too?
The CTA says there needs to be a published fare inclusive of baggage.

Flair publishes a fare that includes baggage.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

Fanblade wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:59 pm The CTA says there needs to be a published fare inclusive of baggage.

Flair publishes a fare that includes baggage.
That's objectively not true. They have options to pay for both checked and carry-on bags, which aren't included in the base fare. Baggage fees are found in a section called "Add Ons", which sounds familiar: "Karen McIsaac, a spokeswoman for the Calgary-based airline, says Swoop provides travellers with "a la carte service" where they pay a low base fare and add on features such as a checked bag for a fee." Their fare structure is almost exactly the same.
If we're talking about checked bags specifically, why doesn't this complaint include Air Canada and WestJet?

A346Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A346Dude »

Diadem wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:52 pm
That's objectively not true. They have options to pay for both checked and carry-on bags, which aren't included in the base fare. Baggage fees are found in a section called "Add Ons", which sounds familiar: "Karen McIsaac, a spokeswoman for the Calgary-based airline, says Swoop provides travellers with "a la carte service" where they pay a low base fare and add on features such as a checked bag for a fee." Their fare structure is almost exactly the same.
If we're talking about checked bags specifically, why doesn't this complaint include Air Canada and WestJet?
It objectively is true. Flair has a fare class ("Max") that includes 1 carry on and 1 checked bag.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

So the complaint is that Swoop doesn't have any all-inclusive fare class? It doesn't matter that you can add on baggage? The Max fare with Flair is more than you would pay for the base fare, a carry-on, and a checked bag if you added them all separately; you get seat selection too, but why would anyone pay an extra $50 for that? Comparatively, Swoop's prices are way more reasonable even if each item has to be added individually, as are Flair's normal fare classes. If Gabor wants the Max fare to become the standard, then he's going to cost passengers a lot of money.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Diadem wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:59 pm So the complaint is that Swoop doesn't have any all-inclusive fare class? It doesn't matter that you can add on baggage? The Max fare with Flair is more than you would pay for the base fare, a carry-on, and a checked bag if you added them all separately; you get seat selection too, but why would anyone pay an extra $50 for that? Comparatively, Swoop's prices are way more reasonable even if each item has to be added individually, as are Flair's normal fare classes. If Gabor wants the Max fare to become the standard, then he's going to cost passengers a lot of money.
Your trying to rationalize non compliance. That wont work. Currently an airline must publish a fare inclusive of baggage. All Swoop needs to do is publish an inclusive fare that no one will choose. it wont impact customers or their business model.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

Fanblade wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:10 am Your trying to rationalize non compliance. That wont work. Currently an airline must publish a fare inclusive of baggage. All Swoop needs to do is publish an inclusive fare that no one will choose. it wont impact customers or their business model.
If that's the complaint, then it's even more pedantic and petty than I thought; it's not about making tangible changes that benefit the consumer, it's about Gabor making a stink so that he can get some publicity.

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

Although I do find his incessant whingeing annoying, I'm all for having someone like Gabor taking these things up. Keeps the airline's honest.

It may be over such little things; but without robust legislation like EU, it's easy for operators to cover things up or plead ignorance to the CTA.

Yes he's annoying, but good on him.

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:52 am Gabor trying to justify his existence once again. Nothing to see here.
+1 I cant wait for the news article thats titled "Passenger rights advocate loses virginity, becomes productive member of society."

Anyways, back to the discussion. I dont find it deceptive, I find it fine. People were warned. Nothing to see here. It just further propagates the notion flying is more and more like a bus and less and less a privileged service. Swoop will be the Spirit of the US.

Meecka
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Meecka »

It just further propagates the notion flying is more and more like a bus and less and less a privileged service.
I know Right? Dirty commoners thinking they can leave their boroughs. Someone should teach them their place.

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

Meecka wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:24 am
It just further propagates the notion flying is more and more like a bus and less and less a privileged service.
I know Right? Dirty commoners thinking they can leave their boroughs. Someone should teach them their place.
Uhh have you ever seen what its like to fly on Spirit in the US? Its one of the reasons I am glad air fare in Canada is high, I dont want to sit next to some trashy lush who wants to start a fist fight at cruise.

Or, a better argument is, you ever take public transit. You want to deal with that in the sky?

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

That certainly hasn't been the type of passengers we're seeing on Swoop to date. Lots of young families and first time fliers who for the most part have been very pleasant

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

tbaylx wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:39 pm That certainly hasn't been the type of passengers we're seeing on Swoop to date. Lots of young families and first time fliers who for the most part have been very pleasant

Didn't you just say in another post that you were almost always in the sim? I guess the sim passengers are always pleasant.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Rowdy wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:07 am
tbaylx wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:39 pm That certainly hasn't been the type of passengers we're seeing on Swoop to date. Lots of young families and first time fliers who for the most part have been very pleasant

Didn't you just say in another post that you were almost always in the sim? I guess the sim passengers are always pleasant.
They still let me out to fly once and awhile, and I still get to talk to the crew. The sim isn’t that much of a black hole

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

pianokeys wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:05 amIt just further propagates the notion flying is more and more like a bus and less and less a privileged service. Swoop will be the Spirit of the US.
Privileged service? WTF? How old are you?

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

WeedPro2000 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:03 pm
pianokeys wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:05 amIt just further propagates the notion flying is more and more like a bus and less and less a privileged service. Swoop will be the Spirit of the US.
Privileged service? WTF? How old are you?
Oh go complain to WS management if you dont like it you union busting rat.

If any of you think my comment was anti-pleb, just go watch videos of people on Spirit or Allegiant. The flying public is bad enough without that caliber of traveller.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”