Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

3down&loct
Rank 2
Rank 2

New bottle to throttle rules

Post by 3down&loct »

Perhaps I will be the first to say" The new rule sucks!"
Wow, 13 hrs now bottle to throttle, meaning most of us have lost another 2 hrs of drinking before departure.
We can fly exhausted (which is like having drinks in the system) yet we cannot have a drink less then 13 hrs before departure now. Has MOT lost the big picture. Unbelievable!
---------- ADS -----------

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: New bottle to throttle rules

Post by rudder »

This is already the company standard at most airlines.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

3down&loct wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:41 pm Perhaps I will be the first to say" The new rule sucks!"
Wow, 13 hrs now bottle to throttle, meaning most of us have lost another 2 hrs of drinking before departure.
We can fly exhausted (which is like having drinks in the system) yet we cannot have a drink less then 13 hrs before departure now. Has MOT lost the big picture. Unbelievable!
Link ??

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

I believe the coming phraseology says 12hrs prior to any duty, including pre flight duties, to be more exact. So 12hrs to whatever your report time is. I too will miss the opportunity to have a beer with the crew at the end of the day, what with more and more min rest these days...

Puffpuffpass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Puffpuffpass »

Man I drink more then most, and even I can handle that.....Jeez.

Puffpuffpass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Puffpuffpass »

Ask yourself this question, smoke a joint after supper vs Drink couple jugs of beer .........now wake up at 7 AM see which makes you feel worse???

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I'm looking for a source too?
I know it's in the proposed regs that are tied up with the fatigue rules, meaning never gonna happen....

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

Now only if TC would care about fatigue rules like they cared about reefer.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

It's been 13 hours to departure at Jazz for a long time. Never found it got in the way of enjoying a beer here and there. If you NEED alcohol that bad on your overnights and are mad when your can't have a beer on a 12 hour sleep over you need to reassess your life choices.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I'm still waiting for a source to this.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

For those without a problem, thirteen hours will be a non-issue

For the others, even the distance rule would be inconvenience…

:lol:

3down&loct
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 3down&loct »

Lightchop wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:45 pm It's been 13 hours to departure at Jazz for a long time. Never found it got in the way of enjoying a beer here and there. If you NEED alcohol that bad on your overnights and are mad when your can't have a beer on a 12 hour sleep over you need to reassess your life choices.
You are missing the point. This is nothing more than a knee jerk reaction to some of the incidents highlighted by the media ( Sunwing 2 yrs ago, etc) I am a professional and responsible adult and I enjoy having a glass of wine or beer with my meal on occasion, especially after after a long stressful day. If someone has an issue with Alcohol, rules will not prevent them from getting their fix. Has nothing to do with reassessing my life choices.
Please tell me how the new rule by MOT will change anything?

"Researchers found driver tiredness after a few hours has the same effect as being over the drink-driving limit." Do a Google search on effects of fatigue.
Perhaps MOT should concentrate on this a little more than trivial BS like "bottle to Throttle rules"

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Why are we amending the rules that most operators already have stricter versions of in their COM's?

Like many have expressed.. why are we not changing the piis poor fatigue rules? Oh right.. follow the dollar signs

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... tml#a17-02

TC is also examining whether the current regulations are adequate to prevent flight crew from reporting to duty while under the influence. Furthermore, TC is working to enhance deterrent measures by:

Amending the current 8 hour “bottle to throttle” regulation to 12 hours, prohibiting flight crew from working within this extended timeframe after consuming an alcoholic beverage (this initiative is currently proceeding as part of the actions being undertaken to address the issue of fatigue);

Prescribing an actual blood-alcohol limit to align with international counterparts; and

Implementing stricter approaches to punitive and enforcement actions for those individuals who try to purposely deceive the system.

This in-depth analysis, expected to be completed by fall 2018, will help inform development of an impairment policy to reduce the risk of flight crew in safety sensitive positions reporting to duty impaired.

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

At AC it’s 12 hours bottle to departure time; if it’s bottle to duty, that would make it 13:15 bottle to throttle. Not the end of the world, by any means, but I have to admit I have enjoyed a quick pint on a 12 hour layover that wouldn’t be allowed under those rules.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

3down&loct wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:49 am
Lightchop wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:45 pm It's been 13 hours to departure at Jazz for a long time. Never found it got in the way of enjoying a beer here and there. If you NEED alcohol that bad on your overnights and are mad when your can't have a beer on a 12 hour sleep over you need to reassess your life choices.
If someone has an issue with Alcohol, rules will not prevent them from getting their fix.

You have a point...

3down&loct
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 3down&loct »

Lightchop wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:21 pm
3down&loct wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:49 am
If someone has an issue with Alcohol, rules will not prevent them from getting their fix.

You have a point...
I meant to say if "someone has a dependency on alcohol, ie Alcoholic"

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Yeah I got that.

Same like, why is the government talking abbot banning hand guns? Because it's not the legal gun owners causing problems. Criminals will do what they want either way.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Lightchop wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:55 pm Yeah I got that.

Same like, why is the government talking abbot banning hand guns? Because it's not the legal gun owners causing problems. Criminals will do what they want either way.
Bingo. Those that need that drink after a long days flying, are going to have it regardless. Changing the rules on this issue isn't going to change anything. clearly more of that public perception of safety thing happening than actual safety.

Lets change the FDT stuff.. and not continue wasting our time with this.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”