Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

TSAM
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: CargoJet or Transat?

Post by TSAM »

---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by TSAM on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yieldermatik
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yieldermatik »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:40 am
altiplano wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:03 am I was basically broke until I was in my 40's... but got there with no debt.

The trick is to limit your spending to within your means... that seems the hardest part for people... consumerism... new car payment, latest cel-phone, 500 channels, hobbies, new clothes, eating out, going to the pub, expensive gym membership, vacations... avocado toasts and lattes...
This one sounds like me lol...no luxuries, just life with kids and a mortgage.

Mortgage payments....used car repairs and gas for commuting....food to feed 4 mouths....what hobbies, are kids hobbies....new clothes? Thank you christmas....eating out only on the road....basic cable....fit 4 less shared membership with spouse....consumerism, lol....

Most people just want a life and the ability to retire with some dignity.

S.

Anticyclone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Anticyclone »

Funny, the guys always talk about money, roster, benefits.... did anyone consider the red eyes stuff and it's adverse effects on your health ? and all these big metal birds do it more so for cargo ops obviously, you fight to stay awake every single night of your career, you do 10 years (if you survive it) and you will take 20 years hit on your face.

:idea:

faculties11
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by faculties11 »

Anticyclone wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:28 am Funny, the guys always talk about money, roster, benefits.... did anyone consider the red eyes stuff and it's adverse effects on your health ? and all these big metal birds do it more so for cargo ops obviously, you fight to stay awake every single night of your career, you do 10 years (if you survive it) and you will take 20 years hit on your face.

:idea:
You'd really have to maintain a strong healthy lifestyle to keep up with it, track your sleep, take measures, etc. I have family who love the graveyard shift outside of aviation. It's hard work but you get used to it.

Yieldermatik
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yieldermatik »

I love flying at night, but I do wonder if I ever did it long term how it would affect my health yes. Right now I do a lot of mixed flying, full days then full nights and I feel it.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

Flying nights for extended periods is very tough. I did it for over 4 years and thought I was doing fine. It wasn't until I took a layoff that I realized how tired I actually was. The fatigue accumulates slowly enough that it becomes your new normal mode of operation.

You really need to live the night shift lifestyle to reduce the impacts. Not always easy with a family and outside obligations.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

Most cargo guys don’t realize just how crappy they feel until they stop doing red eyes. Give them a couple months and they feel like a new person. Same goes for any unnatural sleep schedule. I used to routinely sleep 3-5 hours a night and felt like I was functioning perfectly fine. It wasn’t until I made a serious effort to get a full nights sleep (most) every night that I realized just how chronicallly fatigued I was.

Bonehead9266
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bonehead9266 »

Flying cargo as younger driver is a fine option to get the jet time and cargo seems to be less impacted during downturns but when you get a solid paying spot in cargo it def makes it tougher to leave.. My biggest caution is the diabetes aspect. It quietly arrives when you're busy chasing jet time and smashing out the months.. Hotel/bagged foods, missing gym visits, booze, maids slamming carts into your door at noon during your 4 hour sleep.. it was a horrible lifestyle.. Each person's life position and timeline are unique but later in life we get reminded of what we did to ourselves over the years and sometimes choices bite ya in the glutes. Make educated choices I guess?

Fuzzy Bear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Fuzzy Bear »

Is there any Cargojet pilot that can chime in regarding the work conditions?

Thinking of applying but concerned about the constant midnights thing (because reading through the previous posts I now have thoughts of “diabetes” and “zombies”)

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Victory wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:35 pm
confusedalot wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:15 pm millenials have a ton of money in their pockets
You're crazy.
[/quote

30 year olds in 75K vehicles, something I could never afford......yeah, I'm crazy.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
bythenumbers
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bythenumbers »

Hearing rumours transat will be in full hiring mode earlier now in order to staff wet leases to AC and also a possible merger or acquisition of transat by AC. That would give AC access to all the A321neos that transat is due to start receiving. Interesting times ahead.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

Ha. And last year it was WJ that was going to buy AT. Gotta love all the rumours in aviation...

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Summer is the slow tourist season. Wet lease AT planes until the max's are flyjng again? It's plausible.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

goingnowherefast wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:45 pm Summer is the slow tourist season. Wet lease AT planes until the max's are flyjng again? It's plausible.
Air Canada is definitely leasing machines from Transat. They will do some VYR-YUL and YUL-CUN flying I believe. It was announced not long ago.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
Yieldermatik
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yieldermatik »

confusedalot wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:59 am
Victory wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:35 pm
confusedalot wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:15 pm millenials have a ton of money in their pockets
You're crazy.
[/quote

30 year olds in 75K vehicles, something I could never afford......yeah, I'm crazy.
I have to say I do know a millenial pilot paying $800/month for his car loan. There’s no need for that but if he likes the car that much then more power to him.

Tap
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tap »

Does Cargo Jet have more then 1 base?

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

bythenumbers wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:27 am Hearing rumours transat will be in full hiring mode earlier now in order to staff wet leases to AC and also a possible merger or acquisition of transat by AC. That would give AC access to all the A321neos that transat is due to start receiving. Interesting times ahead.
Takes 3 months to put someone on the line, that's not the reason we are hiring. right now some 330s are parked for the Winter and 330 schedules are a bit lighter so doing the YUL-YVR flights is not hard. I do suspect we will keep the 737s and 321s going down South very busy and see increased loads and some frequency added where it was dropped by the competition.

As far as AC buying TS anything is possible but my guess is that it will have to be with slim to no possibility of a labour dispute between the two pilot unions. That means that ACPA has to become ALPA or AC will approach ACPA with a deal, just like how they brokered the deal with JAZZ and GNN pilots.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

TFTMB heavy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:10 am
As far as AC buying TS anything is possible but my guess is that it will have to be with slim to no possibility of a labour dispute between the two pilot unions. That means that ACPA has to become ALPA or AC will approach ACPA with a deal, just like how they brokered the deal with JAZZ and GNN pilots.
Let me just check - did AC consult the pilot unions before AC acquired CDN? No.

Two different pilot unions? Labour Code says representation vote (or straight order from CIRB). Then applicable merger policy.

My guess is that ALPA would probably win the vote despite AC pilots outnumbering AT pilots 7:1

There is no need for AC to request or require pilot consent to acquire another air carrier.

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

rudder wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:43 am
TFTMB heavy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:10 am
Let me just check - did AC consult the pilot unions before AC acquired CDN? No.

Two different pilot unions? Labour Code says representation vote (or straight order from CIRB). Then applicable merger policy.

My guess is that ALPA would probably win the vote despite AC pilots outnumbering AT pilots 7:1

There is no need for AC to request or require pilot consent to acquire another air carrier.
You are right about it not being required to consult the union but my guess (keyword) is that given their focus on avoiding labour disputes (especially after the CDN fiasco) and how they got involved in the JAZZ GNN deal in regards to the pilot list merge they will not do it without some sort of assurance it will go smoothly.

If both groups are ALPA it's very simple, nobody wants a CIRB order.

cxchd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cxchd »

Tap wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:09 pm Does Cargo Jet have more then 1 base?
No. Everything out of YHM. Lots of deadheading and hotel stays.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”