CargoJet or Transat?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

broompusher
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: CargoJet or Transat?

Post by broompusher »

Anyone willing to share the new CBA for CargoJet? Publicly or via pm?
---------- ADS -----------

WTF, over
alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

160tonoaha wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:01 am What would you do if you had offers from both?

Here's my pro and con list:

- Transat Own's its own flying, but subject to competition from rouge, swg, westjet. CargoJet has no competitor but also relies on contracts. Purolator contract expires 2025 with renewal option.
- Transat 5 years to 330 command as of today. CargoJet upgrading around 2 year mark if you meet matrix.
- Transat known to lay off during recession (is it around the corner?). CargoJet is recession proof, cargo still flies, and with deals being secured in USA through DHL, a recession in Canada would likely mean the USD/CAD buying power would bring more business to CargoJet...
- Transat has a mix of narrow body and wide body flying. CargoJet all wide body flying.
- You make approximately 50k more across 5 years in the FO seat at CargoJet than you do at Transat (no per diems or OT included).
- CargoJet has passes my id travel passes on AC, so does Transat. Transat has passes on itself. CargoJet lets you jumpseat on own aircraft for the purposes of getting to work.

First 5 years of Transat as FO: 55/69/82/89/96 versus CargoJet 70/74/89/97/106
If you upgrade after 2 years at both companies: Transat - 137/148/160/172/184. CargoJet - 133/143/155/166/179

Considering RRSP contribution maximized, plus matching, you get the following percentages.
CargoJet: 6% to 5 years. 8% to 10 Years. 10% to 15 Years. 12% after 15 years. 30 year career = 10% average of salary goes towards pension. If you upgrade after 2 years and ride out 28 years in the left seat averaging around 180k/yr that's 504k contributed.
Transat: 140% of maximum 7% contributions matched. Meaning 9.8% of salary per year goes to pension. If you upgrade after 5 years and ride out 25 remaining years at 9.8 % and averaging 200k/yr in those 25 years that 490k contributed.

The money you lost as FO between Transat and CargoJet, you make up in the left seat across 5 years. Again no OT, Per Diems, Etc.

CargoJet per diems around 10k/year. Transat around 20k/year. You layover in more expensive places too with Transat hence the net effect of per diems may be nil.

At the end of the day, night flying happens at both places. So what other reasons would you have for choosing CargoJet over Transat or vice versa? People seem happy at both places. If you can't fly night cargo, you likely aren't meant for wide body operations at all. Fatigue and jetlag is part of that sector of flying.
Curious. Where did you end up? And how's it working for you?

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

altiplano wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:17 pm I figure there is a reason 767 upgrade is in 2 years only...

No contest, I'd take Transat.
29 ford wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:00 pm I would go with the one making money.
Life lesson learned.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”