Why does anyone want to work at WestJet?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Why does anyone want to work at WestJet?

Post by 180 »

48 hours (or less) and then we’ll know the fine print. Standing by...
---------- ADS -----------

fliter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fliter »

Old fella wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:12 pm
altiplano wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:33 am Can you bid:
"Avoid flying with _____"?
That's a really useful bid right there.
Pardon my airline flying ignorance but wasn’t CRM training the intent to alleviate the “ avoid flying with... “ scenario because of past cockpit conflicts. I thought that kind of stuff was past history, how can well trained professionals not get along to the point “ I don’t want to work with him/her”.
You can lead the horse to water, but you can't make it drink. If someone insists on being a tool, he's gonna be a tool no matter how much CRM training you put him through. Not all cockpit dialogue is scripted; most of the time pilots are rambling about random stuff in cruise. Some of those ramblings I wish I hadn't heard. :-///

Emily
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Emily »

If reports of the new deal not being as favorable as I have heard are true, it would appear that WestJet could become a feeder airline for Transat, Sunwing and Air Canada (AC), while Swoop could act as a feeder for Flair..

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

Emily wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:41 am If reports of the new deal not being as favorable as I have heard are true, it would appear that WestJet could become a feeder airline for Transat, Sunwing and Air Canada (AC), while Swoop could act as a feeder for Flair..
Looks like you’re a bit behind on the news and haven’t read in the Westjet forum.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

A lot of movement is still going to happen at WestJet in the next year or two as things sort themselves out. My prediction; most of the DECs at Swoop will leave rather than stay for a forced downgrade and loss of their base even though their pay would go up slightly if they stayed. Next, Sunwing Unifor will not merge quietly with WestJet ALPA and will require mediation, but in the end most Captains there will also face forced downgrade and loss of bases, and many will leave. This will be a windfall for literally everyone who is (or will shortly be) hiring DECs including Flair, Lynx, and Porter. It will also help fill groundschools at Air Canada, and Transat.

This will have a detrimental effect on non jet type rated pilots trying to get good jobs, they will in turn be forced to focus on Jazz and Encore for career progression. It will have a great effect for those senior FOs at WestJet who will have a shot at the left seats vacated by Swoop and Sunwing Captains leaving, and getting downgraded based on date of hire. The shuttering of the pink scourge is a positive for our industry, but it will be a game of musical chairs for a year or two as it sorts itself out.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

co-joe wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:53 am A lot of movement is still going to happen at WestJet in the next year or two as things sort themselves out. My prediction; most of the DECs at Swoop will leave rather than stay for a forced downgrade and loss of their base even though their pay would go up slightly if they stayed. Next, Sunwing Unifor will not merge quietly with WestJet ALPA and will require mediation, but in the end most Captains there will also face forced downgrade and loss of bases, and many will leave. This will be a windfall for literally everyone who is (or will shortly be) hiring DECs including Flair, Lynx, and Porter. It will also help fill groundschools at Air Canada, and Transat.

This will have a detrimental effect on non jet type rated pilots trying to get good jobs, they will in turn be forced to focus on Jazz and Encore for career progression. It will have a great effect for those senior FOs at WestJet who will have a shot at the left seats vacated by Swoop and Sunwing Captains leaving, and getting downgraded based on date of hire. The shuttering of the pink scourge is a positive for our industry, but it will be a game of musical chairs for a year or two as it sorts itself out.
I’m assuming you haven’t read much about the history for mergers. One theme runs constant throughout them, no bump, no flush.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Emily wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:41 am If reports of the new deal not being as favorable as I have heard are true, it would appear that WestJet could become a feeder airline for Transat, Sunwing and Air Canada (AC), while Swoop could act as a feeder for Flair..
What?! Oh...first post. LOL

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

ant_321 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:24 am
co-joe wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:53 am A lot of movement is still going to happen at WestJet in the next year or two as things sort themselves out. My prediction; most of the DECs at Swoop will leave rather than stay for a forced downgrade and loss of their base even though their pay would go up slightly if they stayed. Next, Sunwing Unifor will not merge quietly with WestJet ALPA and will require mediation, but in the end most Captains there will also face forced downgrade and loss of bases, and many will leave. This will be a windfall for literally everyone who is (or will shortly be) hiring DECs including Flair, Lynx, and Porter. It will also help fill groundschools at Air Canada, and Transat.

I’m assuming you haven’t read much about the history for mergers. One theme runs constant throughout them, no bump, no flush.
So you're suggesting 10year + Wetjet FO's awaiting an upgrade are unwilling to watch Swoop DEC's with 2 years seniority sit left seat, however they'll be ok with a 2 year SWG captain in the left seat? There might be some temporary fences but I doubt they'll be in place long before the merged seniority list dictates who holds a captain position. CoJoe has some valid considerations.

MaxAuto
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by MaxAuto »

tbaylx wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:36 pm
ant_321 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:24 am

So you're suggesting 10year + Wetjet FO's awaiting an upgrade are unwilling to watch Swoop DEC's with 2 years seniority sit left seat, however they'll be ok with a 2 year SWG captain in the left seat? There might be some temporary fences but I doubt they'll be in place long before the merged seniority list dictates who holds a captain position. CoJoe has some valid considerations.
He said "most captain's". But yes probably right about about recent new hires who upgraded within a month or two of joining SWG. Most new upgrades have been at Sunwing for a while and just now upgraded.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

tbaylx wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:36 pm So you're suggesting 10year + Wetjet FO's awaiting an upgrade are unwilling to watch Swoop DEC's with 2 years seniority sit left seat, however they'll be ok with a 2 year SWG captain in the left seat?
There is a big difference between a SWG captain and a Swoop captain. The SWG captains earned their positions by legitimately joining a company and gaining seniority. The Swoop pilots knew that their position was solely contingent on them accepting a wage rate that few WJ FO's would accept.
tbaylx wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:36 pm There might be some temporary fences but I doubt they'll be in place long before the merged seniority list dictates who holds a captain position.
I would encourage you to read the ALPA merger policy and some merger arbitration decisions. (Not being rude & sarcastic.) No bump/flush is pretty standard.
tbaylx wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:36 pm CoJoe has some valid considerations.
I've read CoJoe's opinions on how he thinks this merger will work. Based on his posts, I can assure you that he knows very little about this subject.

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

With the conditions the minister imposed on the Westjet acquisition of Sunwing the current Sunwing business model is toast. I personally think that was coming one way or another. The merger of the two groups will bring some change to the Sunwing pilots no doubt but it will also add some longevity.

Both unions have a merger committee, wishing them a peaceful resolution.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

thepoors wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:17 am
Bede wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:15 am I've read CoJoe's opinions on how he thinks this merger will work. Based on his posts, I can assure you that he knows very little about this subject.
Cojoe knows very little about anything, other than circlejerks with tbaylx.
What are you,12?

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

If you ever see me around preferably somewhere without cameras and security, I would love it if you had the balls to say that to my face.

thepoors
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thepoors »

co-joe wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:19 am
If you ever see me around preferably somewhere without cameras and security, I would love it if you had the balls to say that to my face.
:lol: :lol: :lol: okay tough guy...when I see you taking your little hike to the terminal down airport rd in the rain, I'll make sure to holler

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

co-joe wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:19 am
Lol. Reminds me of a joke.

A cop pulls a guy over. The cop has him roll down his window and the cop smacks him upside the head. "That's for going 30 over."
The cop has the passenger roll down the window and smacks him upside the head.
"What was that for?", the guy asks.
"Well, in five minutes, you'd turn to your buddy and said 'I wish that cop would have tried that with me.'"

Rooster69
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rooster69 »

Too bad there are not any like buttons.

amelialvy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by amelialvy »

The people were great, good benefits medical as well as flights. They hire for personality and train for skills.
JTWhatsApp APK

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”