Why does anyone want to work at WestJet?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Why does anyone want to work at WestJet?

Post by goingnowherefast »

If the new contract is as bad as I've been hearing, sounds like WestJet is the new feeder for Transat, Sunwing and AC. Swoop can be a feeder for Flair.

I just assumed WJ management would see the pilot shortage, new duty regs coming and do what they can to make WJ an appealing company to fly for. Everybody else is struggling to recruit, now WJ is widely known for successfully screwing over their pilots. Not a good reputation to have right now.

So unless you sit near the top of the pay scale, have multiple huge alter egos and wear a wing suit, why would anybody want to work at WJ these days?
---------- ADS -----------

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Why does anyone want to work at WestJet?

Post by C-GGGQ »

I know that it used to be where I thought I might go. Not anymore. What a gong show.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Good place to get a no-bond NG type rating to go to Sunwing

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

That guy doesn't even want to work for Westjet. It's just China doesn't want him.

The Tenth Man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Tenth Man »

Victory wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:54 am That guy doesn't even want to work for Westjet. It's just China doesn't want him.
Sentence #1: incorrect

Sentence #2: correct

I am glad the Chinese made the decision for me; I might have been tempted to chase $$$, when what I have here in Canada is orders of magnitude a better fit with me.

TTM

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

Given his conduct on multiple forums there is no way any new company would want him if they knew about his obsessive wackiness.

In fact I’m surprised WJ hasn’t pulled him in for a little chat. Maybe they have.

The Tenth Man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Tenth Man »

Hangry wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:14 pm Given his conduct on multiple forums there is no way any new company would want him if they knew about his obsessive wackiness.

In fact I’m surprised WJ hasn’t pulled him in for a little chat. Maybe they have.
Multiple forums personality disorder?

Legacy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Legacy »

Hangry wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:14 pm
Oh they definitely have

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Haters gonna hate!

I always found that pulling down a few hundred thou every year and living my life as I chose was a good antidote to such losers.

I’m pretty sure Mr. Multiple Forum Personalities has that figured out too. :mrgreen:

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
The Tenth Man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Tenth Man »

I did some digging and then texted a few people and I now know who legacy is. I'm not going to egg him on any more, because his posting history reveals a penchant for violence threatening, aggressive behaviour. You can use the search function and copy the relevant quotes below to see the context of his posts.

When JetsGo shut down, regarding the $30K they paid, you said:
Legacy wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:17 pm No hopefully they lose it. We told em
Legacy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:59 pm
gelbisch wrote:
...for the big three right now, the word is that JG people are in their blackbooks, i.e. No jobs there for them...
I don't know about that. I can understand where the sentiment comes from, but put yourself in the place of a chief pilot or anyone in charge of hiring; if you're looking for a pilot and a qualified guy's resume crosses your desk, are you really going to be concerned about whether or not he paid an exorbitant bond in the past? 10000 hour guy with jet experience versus a 3000 hour King Air captain... you're going to go with the turboprop dude just on some moral grounds?

Maybe some would, but business are in business to make money, not to right wrongs in the industry.
Absolutely hire the King Air pilot. You are saying hire the guy without morals? WTF? Man you need a smack
Legacy wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:54 pm The ppl that promote the "whoring" of pilots should all be put ina room and beaten with a rubber stick. more beaten that bin laden needs a beating.
Legacy wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:16 pm I agree with Raitt keeping her friggin nose out of it all. Send some union thugs to pay her a visit. If it were only that simple....
Legacy wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:41 pm If this pay of 70ish fore the embraer IS true, all i have to say is G*d damn fuc**ing dumb a** pilots. Get your head out of the dog sh*t and get some brains in your fu**king head. Are you f*cking stupid morons? Any pilot who accepts that wage needs to be jumped and have your head rearranged with a baseball bat. Cant you see where this is going? You are paving the road for a lifeless career. On behalf of my kids who may want to become pilots I say thank you for ruining their future.
Legacy wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:25 pm Yes but when is enough going to be enough. CR f**ked them now. He WILL do it again. Sorry to sound a bit on the naive side but goes back to the younger years. How do you get a bully to stop bullying. Punch him nice and hard square between the eyes and they stop. Maybe CR. needs an eye opener.
Whatever you said here was removed by the moderator:
Legacy wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:18 am Another attack, Like Sulako stated, please play nice: Bandaid
Legacy wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:25 pm Can someone find where ogopgo lives and beat his ass senseless please?
Legacy wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:57 pm If I was CR, I would be watching my back for a guy in a ski mask and holding a baseball bat and not walking down any dark alleys. One day someone is going to crack and beat guys like this silly. Heck it happens in the city for just cutting someone off on the road for pete's sake. Now here is a guy who is doing something that has the consequence of ruining lives.
Legacy wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:16 pm Shotguns would solve the problem
Legacy wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:54 am Tincan, how about I just slap you in the side of the head and we’ll call it a day.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

So why should I apply to WJ? All I see is some weirdo on the top of the seniority list getting angry at the rest of his coworkers for wanting to improve their working conditions.

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

The Tenth Man wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:26 pm I did some digging and then texted a few people and I now know who legacy is. I'm not going to egg him on any more, because his posting history reveals a penchant for violence threatening, aggressive behaviour. You can use the search function and copy the relevant quotes below to see the context of his posts.

When JetsGo shut down, regarding the $30K they paid, you said:
Legacy wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:17 pm No hopefully they lose it. We told em
Legacy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:59 pm
gelbisch wrote:
I don't know about that. I can understand where the sentiment comes from, but put yourself in the place of a chief pilot or anyone in charge of hiring; if you're looking for a pilot and a qualified guy's resume crosses your desk, are you really going to be concerned about whether or not he paid an exorbitant bond in the past? 10000 hour guy with jet experience versus a 3000 hour King Air captain... you're going to go with the turboprop dude just on some moral grounds?

Maybe some would, but business are in business to make money, not to right wrongs in the industry.
Absolutely hire the King Air pilot. You are saying hire the guy without morals? WTF? Man you need a smack
Legacy wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:54 pm The ppl that promote the "whoring" of pilots should all be put ina room and beaten with a rubber stick. more beaten that bin laden needs a beating.
Legacy wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:16 pm I agree with Raitt keeping her friggin nose out of it all. Send some union thugs to pay her a visit. If it were only that simple....
Legacy wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:41 pm If this pay of 70ish fore the embraer IS true, all i have to say is G*d damn fuc**ing dumb a** pilots. Get your head out of the dog sh*t and get some brains in your fu**king head. Are you f*cking stupid morons? Any pilot who accepts that wage needs to be jumped and have your head rearranged with a baseball bat. Cant you see where this is going? You are paving the road for a lifeless career. On behalf of my kids who may want to become pilots I say thank you for ruining their future.
Legacy wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:25 pm Yes but when is enough going to be enough. CR f**ked them now. He WILL do it again. Sorry to sound a bit on the naive side but goes back to the younger years. How do you get a bully to stop bullying. Punch him nice and hard square between the eyes and they stop. Maybe CR. needs an eye opener.
Whatever you said here was removed by the moderator:
Legacy wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:18 am Another attack, Like Sulako stated, please play nice: Bandaid
Legacy wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:25 pm Can someone find where ogopgo lives and beat his ass senseless please?
Legacy wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:57 pm If I was CR, I would be watching my back for a guy in a ski mask and holding a baseball bat and not walking down any dark alleys. One day someone is going to crack and beat guys like this silly. Heck it happens in the city for just cutting someone off on the road for pete's sake. Now here is a guy who is doing something that has the consequence of ruining lives.
Legacy wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:16 pm Shotguns would solve the problem
Legacy wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:54 am Tincan, how about I just slap you in the side of the head and we’ll call it a day.

Legacy speaks truth. My hero.

The Tenth Man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Tenth Man »

I don't want to beat up on legacy, I was actually surprised to find out who he is. He is a good hands and feet guy, and as far as I know, apart from the normal life events stuff, has been generally happy here.

The Tenth Man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Tenth Man »

goingnowherefast wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:11 pm So why should I apply to WJ? All I see is some weirdo on the top of the seniority list getting angry at the rest of his coworkers for wanting to improve their working conditions.
Well, odds are we would never have to fly together so please don't let my weirdness or presence at WJ dissuade you from making any career choice.

I have to ask though, do you sincerely think anger is what is motivates me?

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

The Tenth Man wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:39 am
goingnowherefast wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:11 pm So why should I apply to WJ? All I see is some weirdo on the top of the seniority list getting angry at the rest of his coworkers for wanting to improve their working conditions.
Well, odds are we would never have to fly together so please don't let my weirdness or presence at WJ dissuade you from making any career choice.

I have to ask though, do you sincerely think anger is what is motivates me?
I don't want to work at WJ because over the last year or so, I've watched WJ management do their utmost best to screw over their pilots. I do not want to be one of those pilots.

No I don't think you're "angry", but your attitude certantly doesn't make me want to join WJ either.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

"...your attitude certantly doesn't make me want to join WJ either..."

Almost 'certantly' spoken by someone who doesn't have the qualifications to even get an interview...? :smt040

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Whether I do or don't qualify doesn't really affect my desire to work somewhere.

Let's say for argument's sake that I've got 500 hours. Why should I look into Encore and consider applying in the future?

Let's say I've got 6000 hours and 705 command time. Why should I apply DEC at Encore or WJ 737 FO?

The Tenth Man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Tenth Man »

goingnowherefast wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:04 am Whether I do or don't qualify doesn't really affect my desire to work somewhere.

Let's say for argument's sake that I've got 500 hours. Why should I look into Encore and consider applying in the future?

Let's say I've got 6000 hours and 705 command time. Why should I apply DEC at Encore or WJ 737 FO?
Those are valid questions.

I chose work at three airlines that went out of business. At each one I gained experience, but perhaps trying to get employed at AC would have been the money move. Who can say? Whatever you decide, the airline game is crap shoot. I hope you win the game.

All the best in 2019 with your career path.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Ok, I'll bite.
First let's discuss john. As annoying as he is here, I hear from my peers hes generally enjoyable to fly with, and a good pilot. There are obvious exceptions then again I'm sure some dislike flying with me.

As for westjet. It's honestly still a very good career move. while it's not AC you will make good money, great travel benifets, I've been generally very happy with my schedule over the 11+ years I've been here. Our medical benifets are not good, currently new hires will upgrade at encore or swoop, WJ I think will be an extremely long time. We dont yet know the new wawcon at swoop, but it will change as they will either be crippled with attrition and training costs, or find no pilots to fill its roster.
I'm not sure if we will remain a non seniority bidding company for much longer, I hope we can avoid that. The rouge folks seem to like socialized bidding and lots of them experienced seniority.
And finally 10 years ago AC was in a terrible funk, ac pilots said avoid the place. Obviously it turned around and AC is the place to be. I think we will once again be a desired place to be.
Time will tell. The global pilot shortage is ramping up, it's a great time to be a pilot.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Can someone explain socialized bidding? I get how seniority works but not socialized.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”