A220 Sales

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

A220 Sales

Post by Gino Under »

Those ‘idiots’ running Bombardier are at it again. Selling billions (that’s US dollars btw, dollars not dollarettes) worth of aircraft. I was lead to believe Bellemare and his cronies couldn’t tie their shoelaces, never mind run a corporation like BBD.
:partyman: :partyman:

Just in ...

TOULOUSE, France — JetBlue Airways and a new U.S. low-cost airline being launched by the co-founder of WestJet Airlines and JetBlue have signed firm orders to buy 120 A220 planes developed by Bombardier Inc.

The manufacturer says the airline dubbed Moxy is buying 60 A220-300 aircraft formerly called the C Series in a deal valued at a total of about US$5.5 billion based on 2018 list prices, although buyers typically receive large discounts.

Aviation veteran David Neeleman unveiled his plans for Moxy at the Farnborough Air Show last July.

He says the plane is the right one for the new airline because its low operating costs and spacious cabin allow it to offer lower fares and operate profitably in under-served markets.

Separately, Airbus announced that JetBlue firmed up its order for 60 of the planes to join its current fleet of A320 aircraft.

Airbus will produce the planes at a new U.S. assembly plant adjacent to its A320 assembly facility in Mobile, Ala. Construction begins later in the month with the first deliveries to various airlines starting in mid-2020.

There have been more than 500 orders for the two versions of the A220.
- Yahoo! Finance
---------- ADS -----------

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: A220 Sales

Post by Boreas »

Good news for Airbus and people working in Alabama!

What does BBD get out of this exactly? Is there a percentage cut? Honest question.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

This sale has been pending for months. It was a possibility even before the official Airbus takeover of the CSeries program, including Sales and Marketing on July 1, 2018.
What’s significant, I believe, was that the E90 was also a contender for the Moxy order but this obviously puts that idea to rest.
Yes. Bombardier gets ? $$$ ? percentage of that as an Airbus partner.
Mirabel or Mobile, the aircraft is 75% American anyway.
Airbus assemble aircraft in France, US, (Canada), and China.
Boeing in both the US and China. So ... does it matter where these aircraft are built?
It does if you’re JetBlue or Moxy because they will get the aircraft sooner out of Mobile because of the Mirabel production schedule.
They’ll likely be the first aircraft off that Alabama production line.

Good news for all. Especially investors.

Gino :drinkers:

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

Yes, all these orders and ALL THE ORDERS ANNOUNCED since the Airbus majority buy out were negotiated by Bombardier and had been worked on for YEARS. Airbus more than likely demanded they be announced after the buy out in order to pad the Airbus order book. I'm sure there are others pending, all negotiated and worked on by Bombardier.

Aircraft sales do not happen over weeks or months but YEARS of back and forth between manufacturer and airline.

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

What people don't understand is that the C Series is a lot "safer" now that it's bought by Airbus. Nobody wants to buy a product, regardless of how good it is, if the company supporting it is close to collapse. With it being A220 now, it has a strong backer. It's no different than buying a new car. Do you want to buy from a company that's about to go bankrupt or a big one with billions of dollars in backing?

Das ist mir wurst...
Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

Actually, I don't think Airbus have much 'invested' in this aircraft for the price they didn't pay for it. But, whatever...
The actual company is the C Series Airbus Limited Partnership, CSALP. That partnership runs the show.
As I recall, Airbus is a 50.01% stake holder having dropped 'no money down' in the deal. The sales and marketing are what Airbus have in this aeroplane, THEY re-named it the A220 for sales and marketing purposes, plus the ability to add A220 sales to their order book. (I haven't seen many sales in the last 6 months, have you?)
I know. It's all semantics.

Gino Under
:partyman:

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

Gino Under wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:19 pm (I haven't seen many sales in the last 6 months, have you?)
They closed two sales for sixty aircraft each in December...

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

Delta just ordered 15 more A220-300s.
https://youtu.be/qurdkyG-Ky8
That’s a new Airbus order.
December’s weren’t Airbus sales, they were Bombardier LOIs converted to sales.
My comment was simply to note that since July 1st, Airbus Sales & Marketing haven’t sold any A220s.
Anyone?

GU

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

Gino Under wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:34 pm Delta just ordered 15 more A220-300s.
https://youtu.be/qurdkyG-Ky8
That’s a new Airbus order.
December’s weren’t Airbus sales, they were Bombardier LOIs converted to sales.
My comment was simply to note that since July 1st, Airbus Sales & Marketing haven’t sold any A220s.
Anyone?

GU
The LOIs that were converted to orders in December were originally signed at Farnborough in July 2018. Is that not since July 1st?

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

Correct you are. But, the reality is that the sales pitches, tours, and demos were conducted well before any signing ceremony at Farnborough.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”