Socialized bidding questions

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Picesprick
Rank 1
Rank 1

Socialized bidding questions

Post by Picesprick »

Im hoping to get some information on how various airlines socialized bidding systems work mainly with regard to bidding of schedule, days off requests, overtime, how seniority factors into things and how the pay scale is distributed, or anything else that you feel would be worth mentioning.

If you would be willing to mention the airline great and also some of the pros and cons..

Thanks in advance
---------- ADS -----------

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Socialized bidding questions

Post by Eric Janson »

My company has a 20 days on 12 days off roster. This includes your vacation days.

On your 20 days on you do whatever flights they assign to you - they do tend to rotate people in and out of the various operations. There's a seniority list but it doesn't determine your life. My off days are fixed so I can plan well ahead.

You designate an airport as your home base and on day 1 they will send you wherever they want you and you will travel home on day 20. There is also home standby. My record is 42 days in a row at home.

The company is a Global ACMI operator and you could end up anywhere in the World. I've been to places as diverse as Greenland, The Falkland Islands, Nigeria, Australia and various military bases very few people have even heard of.

I'm currently working on a volunteer basis on a contract with a different schedule- 25 days on 10 days off then 11 days on and 17 days off. Then it repeats. I can stay in this operation as long as I want - I cannot be bumped. I fly just over 400 hours a year.

If you chose to work on your days off they pay you a daily rate. I volunteered to work 8 of my 17 off days last Summer. The aircraft broke down and I was stranded in New York for 4 days. I ended up working only 7 of the 8 days but they still paid me for all 8 days even though I only did half of the originally scheduled flights. When I queried this they said not to worry about it!

A different way of doing things - works for me!

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

Eric Janson wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:59 pm My company has a 20 days on 12 days off roster. This includes your vacation days.

On your 20 days on you do whatever flights they assign to you - they do tend to rotate people in and out of the various operations. There's a seniority list but it doesn't determine your life. My off days are fixed so I can plan well ahead.

You designate an airport as your home base and on day 1 they will send you wherever they want you and you will travel home on day 20. There is also home standby. My record is 42 days in a row at home.

The company is a Global ACMI operator and you could end up anywhere in the World. I've been to places as diverse as Greenland, The Falkland Islands, Nigeria, Australia and various military bases very few people have even heard of.

I'm currently working on a volunteer basis on a contract with a different schedule- 25 days on 10 days off then 11 days on and 17 days off. Then it repeats. I can stay in this operation as long as I want - I cannot be bumped. I fly just over 400 hours a year.

If you chose to work on your days off they pay you a daily rate. I volunteered to work 8 of my 17 off days last Summer. The aircraft broke down and I was stranded in New York for 4 days. I ended up working only 7 of the 8 days but they still paid me for all 8 days even though I only did half of the originally scheduled flights. When I queried this they said not to worry about it!

A different way of doing things - works for me!
What type do you fly?

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

47north wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:36 am [What type do you fly?
A340

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”