Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Jazz or Sunwing ?

Post by mbav8r »

Re: Swoop pilot hiring.
Report Quote
Post by Diadem » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:43 pm

Air.Field wrote: ↑Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:57 am
Swoop will get the pilots they need from those pfo'd from WS and AC, those from 703,704, those who don't give a flying F about going to AC or WS, or those looking to get time to go overseas.”
Diadem wrote:
This is pretty much where I'm in my career: too much time to want to go into the right seat at Encore, and not enough to realistically have a shot at WestJet or AC. I could stay in my current position for several more years getting marginal wage increases, I could go to Encore and make less than at Swoop, or I could go to Swoop, get upgraded in a couple of years, and be making 50% more than I'm making now. It's not as much as I would make at WestJet, but I might never get called by WestJet, and it's far more than I'll ever make in my current position. I get that pilots need to stand together if we want wages to increase across the board, but no one has ever stood up for me in this industry; no WestJet pilot has ever lobbied one of my employers to give raises, but now I'm supposed to help fight to protect their scope? It's up to me to get the most out of my career, and no one else is ever going to put my interests first.
Diadem,
You have zero credibility with me, time for you to move on.
But before you go, top Captain pay at SR is just above starting Captain pay at Jazz, over the long run a Jazz FO will make far more than an FO at SR.
---------- ADS -----------

Jumbo744
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jumbo744 »

Some folks are happy at SR, some are not. Some are happy at Jazz, some are not. Same goes for every company. If you are not happy, then leave. Do what is best for you. This is strictly business and I wouldn't give a damn about a company training me and seeing me leave 2 weeks later if I find a better job, that puts me and my family in a better position. There is no such thing as loyalty in business. Some of you say this is the reason why companies require a bond, NO IT IS NOT. If everyone had the balls and capacity to leave their jobs for the next better paying one, then you would create a competitive market for pilots where companies would have to implement strong retention programs with sign-up bonuses and yearly bonuses as well as compete between each others to offer the best working conditions.

Who are you to judge a fellow pilot that quits his new job for another one? that's none of your business.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

As for the poster who left or is leaving after a short stay at Jazz, who could blame you. Would it have been better if you had received the offer at Sunwing before you came to Jazz, sure but that wasn’t the case.
I have long advocated for pilots to not accept the job, I also think if more pilots come and get the training and leave, that will go farther than not taking the job at all.
Two things could happen, Jazz implements a bond(not likely) or Jazz implements a retention bonus(more likely) or I guess another possibility is nothing changes and they keep running courses with pilots that may or may not stay.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

mbav8r wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:39 pm
Re: Swoop pilot hiring.
Report Quote
Post by Diadem » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:43 pm

Air.Field wrote: ↑Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:57 am
Swoop will get the pilots they need from those pfo'd from WS and AC, those from 703,704, those who don't give a flying F about going to AC or WS, or those looking to get time to go overseas.”
Diadem wrote:
This is pretty much where I'm in my career: too much time to want to go into the right seat at Encore, and not enough to realistically have a shot at WestJet or AC. I could stay in my current position for several more years getting marginal wage increases, I could go to Encore and make less than at Swoop, or I could go to Swoop, get upgraded in a couple of years, and be making 50% more than I'm making now. It's not as much as I would make at WestJet, but I might never get called by WestJet, and it's far more than I'll ever make in my current position. I get that pilots need to stand together if we want wages to increase across the board, but no one has ever stood up for me in this industry; no WestJet pilot has ever lobbied one of my employers to give raises, but now I'm supposed to help fight to protect their scope? It's up to me to get the most out of my career, and no one else is ever going to put my interests first.
Diadem,
You have zero credibility with me, time for you to move on.
But before you go, top Captain pay at SR is just above starting Captain pay at Jazz, over the long run a Jazz FO will make far more than an FO at SR.
I didn't realize you were the arbiter of who can post here. :roll: I lost any interest in Swoop once I saw their WAWCON, and I never went there; on the contrary, I've pretty strongly advocated against anyone taking a job there, even my FOs who would get a slight raise if they went there, because it would undermine the whole industry. I thoughtfully reconsidered my position, and decided that it might be better for me personally, but I would be supporting a regime that pays its FOs less than every other 737 operator in the country, with much worse working conditions. I'm a 705 captain who, unlike you, isn't willing to sell out everyone else just to get myself a 90% chance of going to AC. Besides, isn't it rather hypocritical of you to criticize me for that attitude when you hold the same one? I guess, reasonably, you've lost all credibility too.
As for the SR pay scale, you're simply wrong. This thread shows that the rates are pretty similar for captains until year 5: http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?t=118000. And no one is going to be spending the "long term" at Jazz anymore, so it doesn't matter how high the scale tops out now. It'll be a year or two at the bottom of the FO scale, a year as a captain, and then back down when they go to AC.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Problem with retention bonuses is that they can be ended very quickly (temporary measure), whereas its a lot more difficult to take back raises, once implemented.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

Here's some more food for thought: SR just unionized, and is in a position to negotiate improvements in WAWCON. Jazz pilots just undermined that whole opportunity.

Jumbo744
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jumbo744 »

mbav8r wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:05 pm As for the poster who left or is leaving after a short stay at Jazz, who could blame you. Would it have been better if you had received the offer at Sunwing before you came to Jazz, sure but that wasn’t the case.
I have long advocated for pilots to not accept the job, I also think if more pilots come and get the training and leave, that will go farther than not taking the job at all.
Two things could happen, Jazz implements a bond(not likely) or Jazz implements a retention bonus(more likely) or I guess another possibility is nothing changes and they keep running courses with pilots that may or may not stay.
I agree 100%

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

Would you guys calm down? Everyone is going to wind up at AC anyways. That’s why people sign up for Jazz salaries, because it’s really about seniority (whether you stay at Jazz or go to AC, the more people below you, the better). This is the way the industry works until the pilot shortage reaches the very lowest experience level.

Sounds like some of you need to find a new career if you simply can’t handle the way the industry works. I guess some people didn’t do their homework before they started it.

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

Diadem wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:37 pm Here's some more food for thought: SR just unionized, and is in a position to negotiate improvements in WAWCON. Jazz pilots just undermined that whole opportunity.
This discussion is circular and unproductive. No pilot group is innocent of short changing one group to suit their own and it’s simply good business for any company to try to pay as little as possible for as much productivity as possible. To suggest otherwise is naive and idealistic. By constantly attacking each other and trying to pump your own self up like you are doing right now, you remove any chance of enacting the change you claim to desire. Chew on that a bit.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Diadem wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:37 pm Here's some more food for thought: SR just unionized, and is in a position to negotiate improvements in WAWCON. Jazz pilots just undermined that whole opportunity.
Well, I guess it has come full circle for them hasn’t it.
I’ve been doing this since the very early 90s and one thing we can agree on is pilots will look after themselves, no one else.
I’m sure your 705 Captain job is setting the bar full r the rest of Canada, right?
Also, not going to AC, tied to the pension and seniority handcuffs

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

Diadem wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:49 am You're all missing the point: SR pays $8/hr more than the new contract.

I think you’re missing the point. At the end of the month, who takes home more money, per diems and pensions? I’m guessing a Jazz pilot. And before someone chimes in and says per diems aren’t compensation, they are. The per diems here are basically the max allowed under CRA guidelines. This was done in lieu of other compensation because it is not taxed. Pay me $1 and the rest in per diems and I’d be a happy man.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

Someone should probably change the title of this thread to Jazz or Sky Regional.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

So pilot A takes a job at Jazz for 40k thinking "oh it will be better once I get to AC.
Pilot A is now at AC is looking at 4 year flat pay thinking "oh it will be better in 4 years when I'm off flat pay and hold bid WB FO or NB captain.
Fast forward a couple years, and Pilot A potentially sees that NB captains took a pay cut in this future recession everybody's talking about. But "oh that will be better once I hold WB captain".

I'm sure you see the trend. All of a sudden, pilot A has reached the top of the pile, all the while thinking it will eventually lead to a good pay cheque that justifies the crap pay from the past. Now we're flying the 777X for 150 grand a year in the left seat and there is no "next step. CR is a genius!

I should by AC stocks, so at least I'm making money off this rat race. :rolleyes:

Art Garfunkel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Art Garfunkel »

Jazz vs Sky

A few big differences below

1. Benefits. Jazz’s benefits are way more in depth than Sky’s however you also PAY way more for it. A guy/girl in his late 20’s or early 30’s is not interested in financing the “freedom 60 plan” and pay for an old guy’s last five years. The premiums are expensive and are a fraction over at Sky. (Family coverage health/dental and LTD). You can probably save $300/mo/ $3600/yr for adequate coverage. Simply a younger company with less baggage.

2. Reassignment. Sky has improved immensely here but still needs a way to go to match Jazz. Sky however is probably on par or even better than AC.

3. Pension. Jazz’s new hire DC is better than Sky’s. Sky did some improvement 3 years ago but still needs a lot of work.

4. Pay rigs. Sky still needs to get a better daily min credit. I’m sorry but the pairing daily average of 4 hours is insulting. Huge improvement needs to be had here, otherwise not much different than Jazz, (DH credit, etc). One thing Sky has is sched or better per leg! Huge! Jazz lost this many many years ago and per leg is way way better than sched or better per day!

5. Equipment. This shouldn’t come into play but let’s be honest, it does. The E175 is half the work of the CRJ. More comfortable as well. The CRJ 900 can get 3-4K higher on most days but deviating adds time and we all get paid by the min.

6. Hotels. Jazz has better hotels and has developed a relationship with API. Sky management doesn’t care much about the crews quality of life on the road. (Probably a lower budget with API)

7. Per diems. Jazz’s per diems are second to none. Sky’s are not horrible but Jazz is above the industry.

8. Vacation. Not much different here. The awarding process at Jazz is awesome and pretty cool.

9. Schedules. I don’t know if Jazz still does manual block building, but that is/was huge!! The block builder would get to know you and cater to what your seniority and likes. Sky has been challenged here for a long long time. Failed cheap software and clueless pairing building has been an issue. The company does however recognize this and has been trying to fix for a while now.

There you have it. It will probably be all under one roof again very soon anyways. Once they figure out who is going to give Russ the big cheque.

Art

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Art Garfunkel wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:14 am 4. Pay rigs. Sky still needs to get a better daily min credit. I’m sorry but the pairing daily average of 4 hours is insulting. Huge improvement needs to be had here, otherwise not much different than Jazz, (DH credit, etc). One thing Sky has is sched or better per leg! Huge! Jazz lost this many many years ago and per leg is way way better than sched or better per day!
Everything you said is a great comprehensive comparison, except Sky definitely does NOT have sked or better per leg, it's only for the total of the entire pairing.
Unfortunately, that means you will get screwed if you're a good company crew and manage to shave an hour or two off 3 days of flying, or got a leg pulled and you're sitting at the airport. Then you end up in an absolute cluster on one of the flights, holding and diverting, get home 2 hours late. Guess what, it's all for free since you banked up the time savings. Not a good system and no performance incentive.

Also, the 4 hour "average" credit per day will bite you. If you happen to be on an inefficient 2 day pairing with 5 hours of flying, you get "topped up" to 8 hours. Great. However if you end up with another cluster and work a couple extra hours, the "top up" is simply reduced and you're still paid the same 8 hours. Again zero incentive to perform.

People are also put in situations contrary to the TOE, but doesn't seem to be much recourse.

Pros and cons for sure. Initial pay is good.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Does Sky get 12 min days off per month? I didn't think they did.

CZBBYYZPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CZBBYYZPilot »

11 last I heard.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”