737 Max 8 Simulators

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

737 Max 8 Simulators

Post by The Raven »

How many 737 Max 8 simulators do Air Canada and Westjet have?
---------- ADS -----------

RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: 737 Max 8 Simulators

Post by RVR6000 »

2 at AC, we also utilize a 3rd sim at Boeing Training Centre in Gatwick.

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

WJ doesn't have any MAX simulators. They have 3 -700NG sims.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

If MAX specific training becomes a requirement those might become very valuable.

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

Daniel Cooper wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:25 am If MAX specific training becomes a requirement those might become very valuable.
That’s exactly what I was thinking.

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

Anyone know what other airlines or companies have 737 Max 8 simulators? How many are there?

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Daniel Cooper wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:25 am If MAX specific training becomes a requirement those might become very valuable.
It will be online computer based training and a test at the end. No sim time required

sarg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by sarg »

The Raven wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:30 pm Anyone know what other airlines or companies have 737 Max 8 simulators? How many are there?
I believe Southwest will have one shortly with 2 more coming.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

A level D, (the highest level of sim certification), is a fantastic training tool, but many forget that it is nothing more than a real nice video game, and it is not an airplane.

The sad accidents were caused by Boeing's omission of the mcas system information.

So, the pilots did not know about it, neither did the instructors. Otherwise, the problem would not have occurred.

Training in a max sim would have changed nothing.

Did quite a bit of sim evaluation. Really nice toy, but it is still a toy.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

You don’t know what your talking about.

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

OK,

Explain.

Have you done any sim work?

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

You claim in one breath to have done “quite a bit of sim evaluation “, yet in another you refer to a zero time Level D sim as a “toy”, having called them “nothing more than a real nice video game”. Seriously?

…let’s pause for a moment of silence to remember those killed in an aircraft while training in the real thing as opposed to a “toy”.

This would imply or suggest your declaration of knowledge and understanding of the level D sim and their fidelity as a training device doesn’t have much credibility because it also implies that you didn’t gain much from whatever amount of sim evaluation you claim to have had.
…but that’s only my opinion.

A simulator isn’t an aircraft. I agree. But, a Full Flight simulator doesn’t have to be a 100% match either.
Unless you’d like to refute that with a number of certification authorities worldwide who would likely disagree with you.

FWIW
TRU - a subsidiary of Textron - was selected in 2014 by Boeing to supply a 737 Max full-flight training suite. The Gatwick, Miami, Shanghai and Singapore-based facilities of Boeing Flight Services all began to operate FFS devices for the 737 Max in 2017 - all provided by TRU. The Miami centre became the first in the world to offer training especially for the Max variant. More than a dozen airlines have signed up for 737 Max training in Miami, including Aer Lingus, Air Canada, American Airlines and Southwest Airlines.

Gino

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

I know all or that, what is your point?

Have....you...ever....been....in the trenches with the grunts actually doing the job?

The perspective of the general in the pentagon is a whole lot different than the guy getting the shots. Some company gets a contract, big deal.

The max sim training would have changed nothing in the unfortunate outcomes.

Do you, or do you not, have sim evaluation time?

MUSKEG
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by MUSKEG »

Oh great. Another “ my dick is bigger than your dick “ post.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

MUSKEG wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:43 am Oh great. Another “ my dick is bigger than your dick “ post.
Sorry to disappoint, but no. Don't really care how big my dick is cuz it has done the job.

It's a "different" skill set with it's own set of circumstances. Everything to do with boring and tedious engineer stuff, nothing to do with pushing throttles.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

confusedalot

MUSKEG took the words right out of my mouth. Simply stated, I could claim to have three lunar landings in my resume with fast jet time at Edwards. The right stuff and all that. What would it prove and who really cares? Truth is, I have enough airline stick time, the hours that go with it plus numerous type ratings, not to mention a variety of sim assignments to recognize a smart ass comment when I see one. I see the humour in your 'toy', 'video game' references. We've all heard them before, but seriously, it surprises me that someone claiming to have sim evaluation time would offer such a disrespectful and inaccurate remark, so I expressed my personal opinion. Problem? Don't tell me you're surprised that someone disagreed with the way you put it? Sorry, but Level D simulators are anything BUT the joke you're trying to imply they are.
This industry relies on valid and reliable simulation in many areas of our industry. And for the most part, it's pretty damned good.

I have no doubt Boeing has gained a lot through simulation as it modifies MCAS following these tragic accidents.

Duke Point
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duke Point »

confusedalot wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:11 pm A level D, (the highest level of sim certification), is a fantastic training tool, but many forget that it is nothing more than a real nice video game, and it is not an airplane.

The sad accidents were caused by Boeing's omission of the mcas system information.

So, the pilots did not know about it, neither did the instructors. Otherwise, the problem would not have occurred.

Training in a max sim would have changed nothing.

Did quite a bit of sim evaluation. Really nice toy, but it is still a toy.
That's the most idiotic post I've read in a long time. You have zero credibility. Why are you posting in the "Airline section" because you have no clue what you're talking about...….."Level D video game"...... :roll:

Do all of us in the industry a favor who have spent "weeks" in Level D simulators and "be gone". You're obviously a child.

DP.

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

There have been a few sensational news articles admonishing regulators for only requiring iPad training to be qualified on the Max. Due to the nature of the accidents and the inability to accurately reproduce an MCAS trim runaway in the sim, I wouldn't be shocked to see specific MAX sim training required in order to start operating them again. The public may demand it even if the regulators don't. If the shutdown drags on for too long, many people will need recurrent training anyway. It will put a big strain on any and all Max sims.

The 787's were grounded for about four months and that was only a couple of battery fires. There will be a lot of pressure to make sure that this type of accident never happens again so I won't be surprised if the maxes remain on the ground for more than four months.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

S.

Attachments
737 MAX sim update
737 MAX sim update
IMG_4207.JPG (52.59 KiB) Viewed 4477 times