Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

WOW Air collapses

Post by indieadventurer »

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/28/iceland ... ights.html

Interesting, I didn’t realize they were backed by Indigo Partners since Nov 2018. Another ULCC bites the dust.
---------- ADS -----------

TheSocialChameleon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: WOW Air collapses

Post by TheSocialChameleon »

Their crew is stranded at the Sandman Toronto. They were supposed to operate YYZ-KEF tonight. Sucks that they will have to find their own way home.

Hate me or Like me. Both days I get paid.
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

TheSocialChameleon wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:16 am Their crew is stranded at the Sandman Toronto. They were supposed to operate YYZ-KEF tonight. Sucks that they will have to find their own way home.
That is honestly something I’ve never thought of. The news always talks about the passengers getting stranded but for some reason I’ve always thought that the airlines bought tickets to get their crews home. I don’t feel bad for the passengers and laughed when the article this morning I saw said they informed passengers to request “stranded passenger” fares from other airlines 😂. I’m sure other airlines would love to reward you for booking a ticket with their competition that tried to undercut them.

jjj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jjj »

JetsGo stranded their pilots as well.

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

18 planes eh...

I read recently that tourism on the island was tanking. I wonder how much that had to do with it.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Wouldn't Canada Customs have something to say about stranding workers here? They're on a work permit for a foreign airline. Can't exactly ditch your employees here and walk away.

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

goingnowherefast wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:35 pm Wouldn't Canada Customs have something to say about stranding workers here? They're on a work permit for a foreign airline. Can't exactly ditch your employees here and walk away.
No company means no employees. They'll be home in a day or two I'm sure.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

TheSocialChameleon wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:16 am Their crew is stranded at the Sandman Toronto. They were supposed to operate YYZ-KEF tonight. Sucks that they will have to find their own way home.
Let's hope that they didn't leave their credit cards with the front desk.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Bede wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:42 am
30 years in the industry and I’ve never used my personal credit card. Do some airlines actually require this?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Bede wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:42 am
The hotel has their name and address anyway, so they can go after the guest if they like. I believe you sign a paper that says you are responsible for payment if your company doesn't pay. Maybe some airlines are different, but I think most hotels use that standard thing.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
AOW
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by AOW »

digits_ wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:37 am
The hotel has their name and address anyway, so they can go after the guest if they like. I believe you sign a paper that says you are responsible for payment if your company doesn't pay. Maybe some airlines are different, but I think most hotels use that standard thing.
Most hotels we stay in just get our name and employee number, no personal details. All our hotel bookings are done through a 3rd party, API, just to make things more complicated when something gets screwed up... but at least they aren’t going to charge my card!

FL410AV8R
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410AV8R »

Some hotels require a credit card for incidentals (room service, movies & internet access) and some don't. Depends on the contract with the hotel.

florch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by florch »

FL410AV8R wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:44 am Some hotels require a credit card for incidentals (room service, movies & internet access) and some don't. Depends on the contract with the hotel.
You should never provide a credit card to hotels for incidentals on layover. When C3 and Royal went down, and crews were stranded for several days before they got home, a few guys were charged for their entire crews' rooms. Something like $4000, for room nights and not incidentals. Imagine losing your job and getting a $4k bill. I think there was mixed success of getting the money back from the CC company depending which card it was.

I've had this several times at Hilton's or when we were at a hotel that wasn't one of our usual hotels. If you dig your heels in and say no, they will make a stink and talk to their manager, and if you just stand there smiling and being polite but not going away or being difficult, they will eventually give you a room. You can even smile and tell them that you don't have a credit card for them and you don't carry $300 cash.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

In the past when I’ve had to stay at a non-layover hotel due to irrops and they demanded a credit card, I’ve contacted Crewsked and said we can’t checkin til the hotel gets a cc number. A phone call from the company usually straightens it out.

Flyboy757
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Flyboy757 »

florch wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:15 am
FL410AV8R wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:44 am Some hotels require a credit card for incidentals (room service, movies & internet access) and some don't. Depends on the contract with the hotel.
You should never provide a credit card to hotels for incidentals on layover. When C3 and Royal went down, and crews were stranded for several days before they got home, a few guys were charged for their entire crews' rooms. Something like $4000, for room nights and not incidentals. Imagine losing your job and getting a $4k bill. I think there was mixed success of getting the money back from the CC company depending which card it was.

I've had this several times at Hilton's or when we were at a hotel that wasn't one of our usual hotels. If you dig your heels in and say no, they will make a stink and talk to their manager, and if you just stand there smiling and being polite but not going away or being difficult, they will eventually give you a room. You can even smile and tell them that you don't have a credit card for them and you don't carry $300 cash.
When C3 went under I was stranded in YYZ and based in YVR. We were staying at what is now the Double Tree by Hilton Toronto Airport. As the senior, now unemployed, aircrew member I sort of ended up organizing getting our many YVR crewmembers home. As seats on other airlines could be found, the CEO, Angus Kinnear used his CC to get seats and then I got the folks organized and to the terminal.
The manager at the hotel did not charge anyone, that I`m aware of,for their rooms. As he said to me....won`t be able to rent these rooms out immediately so we had a couple of days to empty our "crew floors".
I was the last to leave...on a AC 340. My only cost was renting Limos to get about 15 crew from YVR arrivals to our employee parking lot on the south side.....to find that Impark had ticketed everyone...but that`s another story!!!

florch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by florch »

Flyboy757 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:47 pm

When C3 went under I was stranded in YYZ and based in YVR. We were staying at what is now the Double Tree by Hilton Toronto Airport. As the senior, now unemployed, aircrew member I sort of ended up organizing getting our many YVR crewmembers home. As seats on other airlines could be found, the CEO, Angus Kinnear used his CC to get seats and then I got the folks organized and to the terminal.
The manager at the hotel did not charge anyone, that I`m aware of,for their rooms. As he said to me....won`t be able to rent these rooms out immediately so we had a couple of days to empty our "crew floors".
I was the last to leave...on a AC 340. My only cost was renting Limos to get about 15 crew from YVR arrivals to our employee parking lot on the south side.....to find that Impark had ticketed everyone...but that`s another story!!!
Hello insult, meet injury. Good for you taking care of your crew during a horrible time for everyone. That took character.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”