Post by av8ts »

---------- ADS -----------

GoinVertical
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: PAL Pilots Joining ALPA

Post by GoinVertical »

Congrats, guys and gals!

Fastest card drive in ALPA history probably says a lot about the current pilot-management relationship...

yyctwin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yyctwin »

GoinVertical wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:08 pm Congrats, guys and gals!

Fastest card drive in ALPA history probably says a lot about the current pilot-management relationship...
Which surprises me, always was a great place to be. Mind you my info is before the EIC days.

GoinVertical
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoinVertical »

yyctwin wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:44 pm

Which surprises me, always was a great place to be. Mind you my info is before the EIC days.
I know a few guys from PAL that have left for AC and WJ, most left for the same reasons (and would have stayed otherwise, didn't want the commute, owned houses in YYT, liked being home every night, etc). No credit system, and too many schedule changes.

One guy added up his schedule using Jazz's credit system and came up with 125 credits with all his deadheading and reserve that month but still wasn't making overtime since he had less than 80 flight hours.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

yyctwin wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:44 pm

I think a lot of places like PAL were considered great places in the days when you needed 5K hours to get right seat on a dash at Jazz. From what I’ve been told the only thing PAL has going for it now is that it has a YYT base. And yes things went downhill after the purchase.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Can anybody name one airline that was BETTER to work for as a pilot after EIC got involved?

The Hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Hammer »

Perimeter?? Nothing but shitty beat up Metros (703/704) and no Dash 8's before the purchase with no upgrade in sight.
Now 8 Dash-8's and 93K to fly a Metro on Medevac. +40 aircraft vs 15ish.

Keewatin, Now 16 King Airs, 2 Lears, 2 Citations, PC12 and huge growth. Pay was crap before and still probably is but better travel arrangements. Don't have to live in Winterpeg.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

The Hammer wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:23 pm Perimeter?? Nothing but shitty beat up Metros (703/704) and no Dash 8's before the purchase with no upgrade in sight.

Keewatin, Now 16 King Airs, 2 Lears, 2 Citations, PC12 and huge growth. Pay was crap before and still probably is but better travel arrangements. Don't have to live in Winterpeg.
To be fair, all those salary and travel arrangements are only implemented because there was literally NOBODY with the required qualifications who was applying for the job anymore.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Almost everyone is paying 90k+ for 704/705 "lite" captains. Not unique to EIC companies.

The Hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Hammer »

goingnowherefast wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:02 pm Almost everyone is paying 90k+ for 704/705 "lite" captains. Not unique to EIC companies.
Still lots of 703/704 that don't pay those rates except maybe medevac. It's still a reality for 703/704 world. Does Swoop even pay that? ;)

The Hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Hammer »

digits_ wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:31 pm
The Hammer wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:23 pm Perimeter?? Nothing but shitty beat up Metros (703/704) and no Dash 8's before the purchase with no upgrade in sight.

To be fair, all those salary and travel arrangements are only implemented because there was literally NOBODY with the required qualifications who was applying for the job anymore.
Fair enough but deep pockets of capital have allowed the fleet to grow far beyond what the original ownership could/would have bankrolled.

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

goingnowherefast wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:02 pm Almost everyone is paying 90k+ for 704/705 "lite" captains. Not unique to EIC companies.
Perhaps not unique, but you asked the question and he gave you the answer. Maybe not what you were hoping for, but the facts non the less.

And as for “almost everyone” paying “lite” captains $90K+, well I beg to differ.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Maybe a slight exaggeration, but a lot of non-EIC companies are in the 90 grand range for captains. Ornge probably has the highest paid PC-12 pilots around. North Star is quite good for their 704/705 side (however they operate the Baslers). Alkan had an ad up recently for 95 grand for 1900 captains in Nanaimo.

My point being similar to digit_. The pay isn't good because EIC is involved, pay is good because EIC had no other choice. Same goes for every other operator. You want pilots, you gotta pay properly.
digits_ wrote:To be fair, all those salary and travel arrangements are only implemented because there was literally NOBODY with the required qualifications who was applying for the job anymore.
Career potential is a good benefit. Nobody wants to fly a clapped out metro forever, but if there's Dash 8 expansion, that's possible career progression.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”