raic in yyz

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Roughrider748
Rank 0
Rank 0

raic in yyz

Post by Roughrider748 »

I am applying for a new raic in yyz starting a new job back from overseas. According to the lovely lady at the pass office because I have been out of the country for more than 120 cumulative days, I need to provide information on every country I went to, the dates I stayed there and the addresses of the hotels. This process would probably take me a week to fill out and would be 6 inches thick. Anyone else come back from overseas and have the same problem or a possible solution. Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: raic in yyz

Post by Chaxterium »

She's absolutely correct. There's unfortunately no shortcuts in this case. Getting the RAIC is a pain in the ass to say the least. That said, I worked overseas for a while and thought I was going to have some issues but I filled out the paperwork as directed, included dates, addresses, cities, etc, and I got my RAIC in under 3 months.

StudentPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by StudentPilot »

Is there anywhere online that details the requirements for the issuance of a RAIC after working overseas? I looked a few years ago but did not find anything definitive about the process.

I was under the impression a police check from where you lived was sufficient. Is the list of dates and addresses comprehensive (ie including a single night at a hotel in transit)? Do they want dates of return and places I stayed in Canada?

I am mostly lucky since I typically spend nights at the same places - but any idea what to do about camping while on vacation (not at campgrounds or places with residential addresses)?

Tracking down some addresses where I stayed on vacations may take a fair bit of effort to reconstruct, so I figure I may as well start and keep a list up to date since I will likely need a RAIC in the near future...

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

StudentPilot wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:07 am
I am mostly lucky since I typically spend nights at the same places - but any idea what to do about camping while on vacation (not at campgrounds or places with residential addresses)?
I would suggest asking them about this specific issue and see what they suggest you do.

I guess you could offer them Google Map coordinates.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
flyingjerry
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyingjerry »

Roughrider748 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:22 pm I am applying for a new raic in yyz starting a new job back from overseas. According to the lovely lady at the pass office because I have been out of the country for more than 120 cumulative days, I need to provide information on every country I went to, the dates I stayed there and the addresses of the hotels. This process would probably take me a week to fill out and would be 6 inches thick. Anyone else come back from overseas and have the same problem or a possible solution. Thanks
This happened to me. The past 5 years I was travelling through Australia, Asia, Central America and working in various places along the way. As the lady told you, the expectation is you are supposed to remember everywhere you've worked and resided with dates that all line up perfectly among sections. My application took ages, got rejected once (for dates not lining up) and eventually was 15 pages long. It's a massive process, but it will work and get you approved.

horizonav
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by horizonav »

She is not totally correct. The 5 year report is of places you actually lived. There is no expectation that you report every layover you ever took while you worked overseas.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

horizonav wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:37 am She is not totally correct. The 5 year report is of places you actually lived. There is no expectation that you report every layover you ever took while you worked overseas.
That's not how it was when I applied. If you you exceed the 120 days in the last 5 years they wanted to know everywhere you went.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

The whole process seems to be a little bit of a joke, IMHO.

I recently went down to the US for sim, and had to get clearance from the TSA for the alien flight student program - a process that I’ve never undergone before. The final (and, one would think, most critical) part of the application was my fingerprints. I was printed at 10am one day, and had my clearance in my email inbox by 10am the next day.

My RAIC, on the other hand....I’ve had one at the same airport for 19 years, and the majority of my details haven’t changed in that time, and yet here I am, at the beginning of the third week into the process, waiting.....

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
usernametakenagain
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by usernametakenagain »

And all I need to do is walk to plane like any Pax with a boarding pass

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Dry Guy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:09 am
horizonav wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:37 am She is not totally correct. The 5 year report is of places you actually lived. There is no expectation that you report every layover you ever took while you worked overseas.
That's not how it was when I applied. If you you exceed the 120 days in the last 5 years they wanted to know everywhere you went.
We went right to the source. They don't care where you went on layovers or holidays. They want everywhere you lived, however. That's right from TC security

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”