Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Warden
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Gate checking carry on in Canada

Post by Warden »

Splash wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:17 pm
A Regulator wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:24 am All nice but if the airlines followed their carry on baggage policy at check in and actually checked to see if it fits in the devices at the gate, there would not be an issue except for angry customers who are told they need to pay for their baggage. Heck why not stuff your bag and carry it on, at the gate an announcement is made and they will offer free check baggage. Nothing worse for those that get on with a computer bag etc and sit down only to be hit in the head or shoulders with those big bags or back packs that the person wearing it HAS to attempt to turn and talk to the person behind them. Oh and the best part in my opinion is when the last few passengers try and attempt to find a spot in the overhead bins and look pathetic. The flight attendant try's to help and then finds your computer bag and jacket and then asks you to put yours under your seat, I have said No and the look is priceless! I continue to say if the airline followed their carry on baggage policy they wouldn't have this problem.

If the airlines stopped charging for baggage i think the problem would go away.

Sorry for the rant but it os getting worse in my opinion.
Biggest challenge with excessive carry-on baggage are the passengers that check-in online. They are sometimes never seen in the check-in area as they go directly to the gate with an electronic boarding card on their phone or one they've printed. I would say as a generalization that the main culprits with excessive baggage are trying to take as much as they can without having to pay baggage fees. Air travel has become a commodity where the lowest price is king, no more glamorous than taking the bus. With competitive airfares the norm, it's no wonder that Greyhound was driven out of most markets in Canada. I once did a price comparison between two points and it was cheaper to fly, 12 hours on the bus or 1 1/2 to fly.

Specifically on the topic of volunteering/offering to gate check your bag at the gate. If you have a onward connecting flight/s, make absolutely sure it tagged correctly, otherwise you'll regret trying to be a team-player.
A solution to this, is to staff AC employees at all security checkpoints and check bag sizes before the passengers make it to the secure side. I'd bet that it would pay for itself really quickly by forcing the passengers to go back to the counter and check an over sized bag (for a fee) vs. gate checking it (for free). I'm pretty sure there are some American carriers that already do this.

Personally I don't think the passengers should be able to get through security let alone all the way to the gate with an over sized (or one too many) bags.
---------- ADS -----------

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

I heard it from a friend who heard it from a AC agent that at check in you can check a “carryon” size bag for free regardless of ticket type. This is at check in not the gate. Nothing about this on AC website. Has anyone ever heard/experienced this.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

av8ts wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:07 am I heard it from a friend who heard it from a AC agent that at check in you can check a “carryon” size bag for free regardless of ticket type. This is at check in not the gate. Nothing about this on AC website. Has anyone ever heard/experienced this.
Yes. Some colleagues do this frequently as normal paying pax.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

If this was more widely known I think more people would check their bag and reduce a lot of the gate check/full overhead bin issue

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

av8ts wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:08 pm If this was more widely known I think more people would check their bag and reduce a lot of the gate check/full overhead bin issue
And why isn't it widely known? Because the entire business model now revolves around ancillary revenue. Same reason some airlines split up families...so they can sell extra fee reserved seating.

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2018/11/2 ... nt-ryanair

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”