Thunder Air

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Ranick
Rank 0
Rank 0

Thunder Air

Post by Ranick »

Can anyone give any information on Thunder Air ie: rate of pay, time until left seat, schedules, crash pads in Timmins, company itself? I haven't seen or heard anything negative about them. Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

DaddyShark
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Thunder Air

Post by DaddyShark »

Edit.

Last edited by DaddyShark on Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

I worked there for 5yrs and have nothing but good things to say about them. Flew a lot but was treated very well. Good maintenance and never felt pressured to push weather or fly overloaded. It’s been a while since I flew there (late 90’s... god I feel old....) but I have a couple friends still there and they don’t seem to have any complaints.
Can’t help you with the pay, upgrades etc but I believe there are Thunder guys lurking around here from time to time who may be able to answer those questions.
Learned a lot, had a bunch of fun and made some great friends while I was there.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

It was a great company while I worked there, much more recently than bcflyer! For pay and schedule questions, it is probably best to contact them directly, as even my information is out of date; but the last I saw, everyone was taking a pay cut to go to Jazz/Porter/Encore.

Upgrades are based on performance, and given the rate of hiring at the majors for the last few years, most people are seeing the left seat about as soon as they are competent and comfortable in the airplane.

Accommodations at all three bases (YTS, YQT, and YSB) are generally more affordable than southern Ontario. There have been a large number of pilots over the years that have shared apartments with other pilots; if there is an opening in the company, there may well be a corresponding opening in a shared house/apartment. When I was there, the company would provide accommodations for training, then the first 2 weeks at your base, unless you found a place to live sooner.

In my [admittedly very biased] opinion, you would be hard pressed to find a better 703 company around. They operate safely, have good training, and great people. They make you work, and it is not always easy, but it is a great experience.

Good luck!

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I'd run as far as possible from this place.

You'll fly safe, updated equipment. If you respect the operation and your fellow humans you'll find out what it's like to be respected and appreciated as a pilot. You'll have a decent schedule and really good pay, as well as benefits and a little pension. You'll learn a lot about real flying, make great friends, and be a better pilot because of it. Pfft.
We don't need this sort of operation in aviation. What's next? Pretty soon more lower time pilots would actually consider themselves professionals and not the 3rd class fartnozzles that they've been told they are.

They need to be hiring rampies to wash the bosses truck and mow his lawn for 80 hours a week, for a shot at a clapped out VFR King Air 90. It's a shame Wabusk got shut down- They had it right. Now Thunder is taking their charters. Shame. I thought it was supposed to be a race to the bottom, not the other way around!

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”